Author Topic: Anthony Miles [merged]  (Read 143569 times)

the claw

Re: Rookie pick 27 - Anthony Miles
« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2014, 11:23:55 PM »
im not gunna go early and congratulate em just yet, but he looks a decent pick. still we will see when it comes to the real thing i still have issues with small players but so far so good. interstingly at 22 hes the youngest rookie we took and we needed mids still do.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #76 on: February 18, 2014, 08:52:19 AM »
im not gunna go early and congratulate em just yet, but he looks a decent pick. still we will see when it comes to the real thing i still have issues with small players but so far so good. interstingly at 22 hes the youngest rookie we took and we needed mids still do.
We need small players that can genuinely read the ball of the hands in the forward line and kick goals.  These guys are usually quick of the mark with lightning reflexes and great kicking skills.
Haven't had one really since KB......... :banghead
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #77 on: February 18, 2014, 09:12:58 AM »
If the interweb had been around when KB first turned up to Richmond he would have been too small and light and too easily pushed off the ball, too soft, not enough defensive pressure/tackling, a seagull........

gee, nearly forgot the big one, too selfish.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

the claw

« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2014, 09:18:46 PM »
kb early on was a touigh courageous player albeit small of stature.  it was only later in his career when he played almost exclusively as a forward  that the criticisms came about the way he went about it.
in his day there were plenty of small skinny blokes running around.

the closest equivalent of kb in todays game i can think of is steve milne.  milny got away with certain things because he could be relied on to kick a shedload of goals every yr not unlike the back third of kbs career.

tony_montana

« Reply #79 on: February 18, 2014, 09:46:06 PM »
anyway going off track here, thing I liked about Miles first up was his hardness at the ball and seemed to use it well for an inside type. Whether that stood out bc others weren't going as hard I guess time will tell.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #80 on: February 18, 2014, 09:48:23 PM »
NAB CUP: Tiger cub hungry for spot on Richmond's play list
By Jake Bourke
Border Mail
Feb. 18, 2014

RICHMOND rookie Anthony Miles says his strong showing in Friday night’s loss to Melbourne has only fuelled his desire to win a spot on the Tigers’ senior list.

The Border product won plenty of admirers in the 14-point defeat, leading Richmond in contested possessions (11) and also racking up a team-high eight clearances on his way to 16 possessions.

The former North Albury midfielder, who also kicked two goals, is now considered every chance of being promoted off the rookie list and playing in the season opener on March 15.

“That’s definitely the No.1 aim for me right now,” Miles said.

“Obviously there’s talk about playing round 1 but I’ve got to get on the list first.

“I feel like I’ve started well and I haven’t missed a session since I got here.

“But I can’t rest on that and need to keep building from here.”

Miles, who was given a lifeline by the Tigers via the pre-season draft after being delisted by Greater Western Sydney, said he was still unsure whether he’d play in Saturday’s NAB Challenge clash at Wangaratta against Collingwood.

But he definitely wants to make an appearance.

“It should be a ripper,” Miles said.

“There’s still been no real indication about this weekend but I’ll just train well and hopefully get another game.

“Obviously with the Giants we were at Wagga last year and Lavington the previous couple, so it’s been good to get back up this way a fair bit.

“They’re expecting 10,000 or something on the weekend so it should be a great atmosphere.

“I love getting back up there.”

http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/2095407/nab-cup-tiger-cub-hungry-for-spot-on-richmonds-play-list/?cs=10

gerkin greg

« Reply #81 on: February 18, 2014, 10:55:19 PM »
bloke has some drive

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #82 on: February 18, 2014, 11:41:30 PM »
what is your point?

Delisted at season's end. Bookmark it.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

the claw

« Reply #83 on: February 19, 2014, 07:08:02 PM »
what is your point?

Delisted at season's end. Bookmark it.
intersting comment. im the opposite. not sure what went wrong with him last yr but his 2012 was impressive. in fact his entire junior history is pretty good. he ticks a lot of boxes.
the only concern i have with him is for the way he plays is his size. but in the past this has not been a worry.
he has played exceptionally at neafl level i know its not a great level but hes shown hes much better than that.
based on performances attributes skills etc  im surprised gws delisted him. then again they couldnt hang onto everyone.
so far i like what i see. imo at 22 hes exactly the type of player we should be looking at late nd psd or rookie draft. has a far better chance of making it at afl level than lonergan who was a very good vfl player but didnt have enough good attributes to make it. i think miles does.

time will tell weather he succeeds or fails, imo hes well worth finding out about and giving a go to.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #84 on: February 19, 2014, 07:30:14 PM »
It was a joke reply to a silly question, santa....basically agree with you, but let's all just wait & see beyond one pre-season performance...no certainty to be even be upgraded yet.....though he's probably the clubhouse leader at this stage, there's two practice matches still to play and Banfumbles, Thomas & Darrou are all yet to be seen....(they surely won't upgrade Stephenson again with Hamspud here now and even Griffiths being trialed in the ruck and I can't see Williams getting a crack..think he's still injured anyway?)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 07:47:32 PM by Diocletian »
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #85 on: February 19, 2014, 07:46:02 PM »
See Dioclitian has it all worked out  :shh
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #86 on: February 19, 2014, 09:05:41 PM »
If Miles plays I can see him becoming, unfortunately, an immediate whipping boy for our supporters like Jackson, Rance and Tucky were. I think he will win over people with his attack on the ball initially but will disappoint people with his disposal. I would like him to be elevated but I think he needs a lot more development to become more poised with his kicking and clearances.

There is so many parallels with Tucky in the way he wins the ball but then drops it on to his boot to move it forward without any real focus on where it is going. Tucky improved his clearances in his later years and sought (much like our other weaker ball users - Maric, Astbury etc) to handball it on to better ball users whenever possible but Miles needs to learn how to work his way into space or his team mates into space to make those clearance numbers truly valuable.

The other aspect I feel he needs is good coaching much like we have done with Grigg, Houli, Maric, Morris and hopefully Knights. We need to find roles and systems that work to his strengths and minimize his weaknesses. His strengths are considerable and if he can learn to work into space and link up with the other midfielders I think we will have a real asset to the team.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #87 on: February 19, 2014, 09:45:25 PM »
I'd be putting a 3 year deal in front of him before gws get in his ear :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #88 on: February 19, 2014, 09:59:30 PM »