Author Topic: Anthony Miles [merged]  (Read 143613 times)

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
Re: Anthony Miles [merged]
« Reply #885 on: January 04, 2016, 09:39:06 PM »
Most professional player at the club
Caracella and Balmey.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #886 on: January 04, 2016, 10:16:07 PM »
Reckon Jack might have something to say about that
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #887 on: January 07, 2016, 09:28:38 PM »
I'm sure he would......but it wouldn't matter in reality.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond's best supporting actor: Anthony Miles (afl site)
« Reply #888 on: January 24, 2016, 10:16:03 PM »
Your club's best supporting actor

Nathan Schmook   
AFL.com.au
January 24, 2016

RICHMOND

Anthony Miles:
While Trent Cotchin draws the tags and Dustin Martin attracts the headlines, it is Miles who gets on with helping the Tigers win clearances. He has ranked No.1 at the club for the past two seasons for total clearances and, when he attends a centre bounce, the Tigers win the clearance 49 per cent of the time (No.1 of all permanent midfielders at the club). Further highlighting his value, when Miles wins first possession at a stoppage it converts into an effective clearance 74 per cent of the time. A hard nut who plays a great support role to Cotchin, Deledio and Martin, he averages four effective tackles a game and did not miss a match in 2015.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-01-23/your-clubs-best-supporting-actor

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Important Tiger Miles relishes playing on the edge (afl site)
« Reply #889 on: January 24, 2016, 10:17:38 PM »
Important Tiger Miles relishes playing on the edge

AFL.com.au
January 24, 2016

DESPITE playing every game in 2015, Richmond midfielder Anthony Miles doesn't feel as though he has cemented a spot in the Tigers' line-up.

For external observers that might seem strange.

He finished fourth in the best and fairest and was one of the few Tigers who maintained his reputation with a solid performance in the team's elimination final loss.

But that's what happens when you arrive at your second club via the rookie list, having been delisted after just 10 games in two years at Greater Western Sydney.

"I've spoken to people about it and particularly Mark Williams (Richmond assistant coach) and he says it's not necessarily a bad thing to play on the edge," Miles told AFL.com.au.

"For me I have probably played my whole career like that given where I have come from."

The 23-year-old might have adopted a 'playing on the edge' mindset but his style of play is to be in the heart of the action.

He hunts the football hard at stoppages, winning possession for his sleeker (he won't mind that assessment) teammates to do some damage.

Often he is the last player up with the football if an umpire calls for a ball-up, readying himself for the next stoppage with the intensity of a front rower preparing for a rugby scrum.

It's a good sign and one he has in common with the player he loved most growing up as a Saints fan, Lenny Hayes.

Miles' aim is to help talented playmakers such as Trent Cotchin, Brett Deledio, Dustin Martin and Brandon Ellis however he can.

"[You] probably don't want your Rolls-Royce's crashing about," Miles said. 

"Those guys still [get in and under] but if that is the way I can help them out then I enjoy doing that."

Miles has done that in 36 games with the Tigers but he is beginning to earn a reputation beyond the yellow and black faithful.

Last season the umpires awarded him three Brownlow votes as the best player on the ground in three games – against Hawthorn, North Melbourne and Essendon – and he was by far the Tigers' best midfielder in the elimination final against the Kangaroos.

Although that final was a terrible result for the Tigers, Miles says little has been said about the horrendous end to 2015 since the players began pre-season.

That doesn't mean they are blind to its implications.

"It's a final. You do all the work to make the final and then that is what you're judged on. Unfortunately we did not do well so that is what we are judged on," Miles said.

"In terms of when we got back to pre-season I don't think we have even really touched on it. It's a new year and we have focused on this year."

After a shoulder clean out and a trip to Vietnam as part of his break, Miles returned to training with a strong emphasis on building his endurance.

The reduced interchange cap might mean players spend longer on the ground but it won't stop coaches demanding two-way running.

Back in full training, he is confident the Tigers can reclaim the consistency that defined their home and away season in 2015.

A top-four spot and ultimately playing good finals footy is the aim.

Miles is preparing to get his hands dirty so he can be part of a team capable of meeting that challenge.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-01-24/important-tiger-miles-relishes-playing-on-the-edge

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Miles still learning, best yet to come for Richmond (Age)
« Reply #890 on: February 09, 2016, 07:06:38 PM »
Miles still learning, best yet to come for Richmond

Chris Young
The Age
February 9, 2016 - 5:18PM

Despite appearing to be a walk-up start in the Richmond midfield, Miles says he still has work to do in order to cement his place in their best 22.

"I've still got a lot of development left to go," he said at the Tigers' community camp in Albury on Tuesday.

"Being able to watch guys like Trent Cotchin and Brett Deledio is great.

"I'll continue to learn from guys like that and our coaches.

"I'd like to think that my training standards have improved since I arrived at Richmond, and hopefully that's reflected in the way I'm playing.

"I think there's still a bit of upside for me."

Miles had an almost immediate impact at the Tigers after being drafted as a rookie from Greater Western Sydney in 2014.

The now 23-year old played his first game in the yellow and back against North Melbourne in round 12 that year — and hasn't missed a beat since.

Now with a safe spot on the senior list, Miles said it was  time to explore his potential.

"I still don't feel like I've solidified my spot in the Richmond 22," he said.

"I'd love to be able to play every game, hopefully I can help us into a position where we can play some good finals footy this season."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/miles-still-learning-best-yet-to-come-for-richmond-20160209-gmpngm.html

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #891 on: February 09, 2016, 07:14:02 PM »
Humility.

Nice one
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #892 on: February 09, 2016, 08:21:19 PM »
Just goes about it.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #893 on: February 25, 2016, 06:38:12 PM »
Miles interviewed on the AFL website's show 'First Bounce' with Carey, Ling, Nat Edwards & Matt Thompson:

VIDEO: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2016-02-25/miles-on-first-bounce

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #894 on: February 26, 2016, 09:07:23 AM »
I like the kid
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #895 on: February 26, 2016, 11:33:59 AM »
Miles interviewed on the AFL website's show 'First Bounce' with Carey, Ling, Nat Edwards & Matt Thompson:

VIDEO: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2016-02-25/miles-on-first-bounce

“Like most blokes I’ve been trying to work on my tank (over the pre-season),” Miles said on afl.com.au’s First Bounce program.

“With the interchange cap coming in and everything like that, players are going to have to spend more time on the ground.

“And probably for me as well, having to spend more time forward as a result of the interchange cap, so I’ve been working on those things.

While Miles sat out last Friday’s opening NAB Challenge match against Fremantle, he has been named in the Club’s squad for this Saturday’s game against Hawthorn in Beaconsfield.

The 23-year-old said he could not wait to pull on his jumper for the first time this year.

“We’ve had a great pre-season,” he said.

“I’m sure most sides are saying that but we’re raring to go now. We’re sick of playing against each other, and I thought the boys were pretty good (against Fremantle) last week as well.”

The Albury product has flourished at Richmond after being delisted by Greater Western Sydney at the end of 2013.

Miles said there was a select group that had been instrumental in his growth at the Club – his fellow midfielders. 

“They’ve been great for my development, particularly Cotch, Dusty and Lids as well,” he said.

“I’ve got a lot to thank them for.”

Full article: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2016-02-25/miles-on-afls-first-bounce

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #896 on: April 02, 2016, 12:07:39 PM »
Needs to bounce back and get back to his best as he has started the season very slowly, but he is not on his own. We need you Miles!

Offline Heart of Darkness

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #897 on: April 02, 2016, 01:18:55 PM »
Needs to bounce back and get back to his best as he has started the season very slowly, but he is not on his own. We need you Miles!

Playing injured? Doesn't look right to me.

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #898 on: April 09, 2016, 03:30:40 PM »
Where is this guy? Wake up and get involved in the contest  :banghead 

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #899 on: April 10, 2016, 12:49:07 PM »
Place him back on the rookie list

Why was he promoted in the first place?