Author Topic: Richmond's best 22 in 2014 ........ (Herald-Sun)  (Read 3900 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond's best 22 in 2014 ........ (Herald-Sun)
« on: January 06, 2014, 10:54:08 PM »
From the backline: Scott Gullan takes a look at Richmond's best 22 before the 2014 season

Scott Gullan
    Herald Sun
    January 06, 2014 7:00PM

HERALD Sun football experts go deep inside each AFL club to predict how each team's best line up could look next year.

RICHMOND

IN:

Shaun Hampson (Carlton), 25, ruckman

Ben Lennon (Northern Knights), 18, midfield/forward

Sam Lloyd (Frankston), 23, forward

Nathan Gordon (Sydney), 23, forward

OUT:

Tom Derickx (Sydney)

Luke McGuane (Brisbane Lions)

Robin Nahas (North Melbourne)

Shane Tuck (retired)

Matthew White (Port Adelaide)

COACHES

Damien Hardwick (senior coach)

Brendon Lade (forward coach)

Ross Smith (defence coach)

Danny Daly and Mark P Williams (midfield coaches)

Mark M Williams (senior development coach)

BEST 22:

B: Steven Morris, 25, 43 games, Alex Rance, 24, 89 games, Dylan Grimes, 22, 26 games

HB: Chris Newman, 31, 233 games, Troy Chaplin, 27, 162 games, Bachar Houli, 25, 91 games

C: Brett Delideo, 26, 195 games, Dustin Martin, 22, 86 games, Brandon Ellis, 20, 42 games

HF: Shane Edwards, 25, 129 games, Tyrone Vickery, 23, 75 games, Reece Conca, 21, 52 games

F: Ben Lennon, 18, 0 games, Jack Riewoldt, 25, 134 games, Jake King, 29, 105 games

R: Ivan Maric. 27, 118 games, Trent Cotchin, 23, 108 games, Nick Vlastuin, 19, 18 games

INT: Daniel Jackson, 27, 146 games, Nathan Foley, 28, 136 games, Shaun Hampson, 25, 63 games, Shaun Grigg, 25, 109 games

HOW THEY'LL PLAY:

Recruiting Carlton big man Shaun Hampson will ensure the Tigers can throw several different forward line looks at the opposition. Instead of resting on the bench Hampson and fellow ruckman Ivan Maric will spend more time close to goal. That will allow Jack Riewoldt to play further up the ground. It will also put more pressure on Tyrone Vickery, whose inconsistency at centre half-forward has been a problem. If he doesn't fire then at least Hampson and Maric can be used as tall targets.

READY TO FLY:

He made big strides last season but Brandon Ellis is again the player everyone is talking about at Punt Rd. Ellis has been leading the way in running drills and wants to become a permanent fixture in the midfield. After starting his career coming off half-back, the 20-year-old progressed to the wing in his second year but with his pace and prodigious kicking the Tigers want him in the thick of the action alongside captain Trent Cotchin, Dustin Martin and Brett Delideo.

Read more: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/from-the-backline-scott-gullan-takes-a-look-at-richmonds-best-22-before-the-2014-season/story-fni5f9jb-1226796062904#ixzz2pcP82DHT

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Re: Richmond's best 22 in 2014 ........ (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 10:57:35 PM »

BEST 22:

B: Steven Morris, 25, 43 games, Alex Rance, 24, 89 games, Dylan Grimes, 22, 26 games

HB: Chris Newman, 31, 233 games, Troy Chaplin, 27, 162 games, Bachar Houli, 25, 91 games

C: Brett Delideo, 26, 195 games, Dustin Martin, 22, 86 games, Brandon Ellis, 20, 42 games

HF: Shane Edwards, 25, 129 games, Tyrone Vickery, 23, 75 games, Reece Conca, 21, 52 games

F: Ben Lennon, 18, 0 games, Jack Riewoldt, 25, 134 games, Jake King, 29, 105 games

R: Ivan Maric. 27, 118 games, Trent Cotchin, 23, 108 games, Nick Vlastuin, 19, 18 games

INT: Daniel Jackson, 27, 146 games, Nathan Foley, 28, 136 games, Shaun Hampson, 25, 63 games, Shaun Grigg, 25, 109 games

:pray

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 11:19:35 PM »
Looks a bloody good team from first glance. I don't think Lennon should or will get a game straight up. Seems they have omitted A.Edwards and Astbury. Any others from our Best 22 from the final few rounds of 2013 that I've missed?

Gordan and Lloyd would be a shoe in to make the team early imo but who would miss out?  Lennon I guess? Would they play horses for courses this year between an extra tall option with McBean or Griffiths and then alternating this with smaller options in A.Edwards, Gordan and Lloyd? If McBean can develop his contested marking he has the crumbing game to be able to play both roles  :-\

Hope they play Hampson more at center bounces and around the ground. He has the athleticism to trouble most opposition rucks and the marking capabilities to be a good link up player. As a forward though his goal kicking was deplorable at Carlton where they attempted to mold him into a CHF. I would rather Maric play deep. He is a good set shot. I'm very interested how they will manage these big men and what ruck percentage each will get. We may actually lose a few games early from being too tall across the ground imo  :P

the claw

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 12:07:56 AM »

BEST 22:

F: Chris Knights, 27, 101 games, Jack Riewoldt, 25, 134 games, Jake King, 29, 105 games

:pray
i replaced lennon with knights as i dont think lennon will be ready to play much senior footy.
with knigts in the team the average age was 25yrs. the average #games per player was 107. its about the most experienced side we can field.

the side consists of
3 juniors 21 and under.  ellis, conca, vlastuin.
5 development players 22-24. grimes, rance,martin, vickery, cotchin.
12 mature players 25 - 28.  chaplin, morris ,houli, grigg ,riewoldt, knights, hampson, s edwards, maric, jackson, deledio,and foley.
2 vets 29 plus. newman, king.

the problem i have is we have 13 players in the wings who are 22 or more. of those 13 only 4 players have 50 games or more experience. they are a edwards. petterd, thomas, and banfield. two are rookies.  hardly an inspiring lot. this is effectively our depth. the other thing i ask is where id the quality in these 13 players.
in fact from oldest first our depth goes
stephenson 31 yrs /14gms. ruck
a edwards 30/91 med/ for.
thomas 27/87 inside mid.
petterd 25/66 med/ for.
gordon 24/2. atk id say for/mid
lloyd 24/0. for
banfield 23/53 for.
astbury 23/29 kpp.
batchelor 22/39 med/ def.
dea 22/24 med/ def
griffiths 22/19 kpp
helbig 22/16 mid.
miles 22/10. mid
i also ask what happens if we lose two or three talls. also what happens if we lose two or three genuine mids.

it only leaves juniors 21 and under of which not too much should be expected.
ohanlon 20yrs/8 gms. med / for.
arnot 20/4 mid.
elton 20/1  kpf.
mcdonough 20/1 for/mid
darrou 20/0 rookie. kpd
mcbean 19/0 ruck?/for?
mcintosh19/0 tall/def.
williams 19/0 rookie. mid.
lennon 18/0 for.

i know what i take from all this you lot can come to your own conclusions. all i can say is we want to have another dream run with injuries.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 12:30:24 AM »
'Only' Lennon / McIntosh / mcdonuts /  mcbean / arnot  / Elton :shh

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 12:43:47 AM »
Always hated Scott Gullan . Does anyone know who he barracks for ?
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 10:21:47 AM »
Are Foley and Newman in our best 22?

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 10:28:08 AM »
i also ask what happens if we lose two or three talls. also what happens if we lose two or three genuine mids.
probably the same as any other club, we'd struggle.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 10:31:26 AM »

Yep , he's a Bulldogs supporter.  That says it all really.
Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 10:39:24 AM »

Was thinking the same thing

Actually you would hope that if our youngster who are coming into their 2nd, 3rd seasons 1/ continue to develop (eg Arnot) and 2/ came get over their injury problems (eg McIntosh, Helbig) then they overtake the older guys like Newman & Foley (no disrespect to either of the veterans)

And would think it's a little premature to say Lennon is in our best 22. Journo always seem to do that, throw in a clubs 1st round draft pick simply because they are a first round draft pick

Would have Chris Knights aheand of Lennon at this stage
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 10:55:37 AM »

Actually you would hope that if our youngster who are coming into their 2nd, 3rd seasons 1/ continue to develop (eg Arnot) and 2/ came get over their injury problems (eg McIntosh, Helbig) then they overtake the older guys like Newman & Foley (no disrespect to either of the veterans)

And would think it's a little premature to say Lennon is in our best 22. Journo always seem to do that, throw in a clubs 1st round draft pick simply because they are a first round draft pick

Agree on all counts. I think Knights could be very good for us. As you say no DIS to Foley and Newman but I am thinking their time is up. Foley may have a small window of opportunity to prove himself after a shocking injury run but in all honesty I would rather have traded him and kept White who I think has a much better upside. Time will tell this year.

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 12:47:40 PM »

Yep , he's a Bulldogs supporter.  That says it all really.

lol
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

the claw

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 05:42:25 PM »

Agree on all counts. I think Knights could be very good for us. As you say no DIS to Foley and Newman but I am thinking their time is up. Foley may have a small window of opportunity to prove himself after a shocking injury run but in all honesty I would rather have traded him and kept White who I think has a much better upside. Time will tell this year.
not having a go here. but i have to ask what upside does white have. what you see is what you get.
mate 27yo sml  players  white turns 27 early april,  with shoddy skills have no upside. even in his last yr he was nothing but a role player. he played how many games 15 and  about 10 of em was as a sub. he was there for his pace late in games and no other reason.  he wasnt good enough to warrant full games
.shocking user of the ball  poor decision maker small possesion counts these things have remained a constant right thru his career.

as for foley its as an inside player that has made him valuable, his hands used to be excellent and he woulkd knock up extracting the ball. if he cant play inside anymore he needs to go. he is another butcher of the ball by foot.

newman well imo its blokes like dea, mcintosh and batchelor who he is keeping out. none have to date out performed him or knocked the door down. i would love to see both dea and mcintosh force the likes of newman and the panic merchant houli out of the back half.

tony_montana

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 05:54:23 PM »
Do or die for Foley this season, pretty confident he'll be back to his explosive self again in 14.

I haven't felt newman has been best 22 for a while now. Bit of a passenger and for an experienced player is never near the coalface when its at its hottest.

Knights wont be ready till midseason? Very much doubt he'll be in the mix in the first part of the season. Would be a bonus if he plays anywhere near his capabilities, but usually players take a season to settle after a serious injury.

McIntosh is raw, good prospect and will get his chance but he's not ready to cement a spot yet. Expect him to play 5 games at most.

McBean should be aiming to play 5-10 as well.

Houli is no panic merchant, one of the best users of the ball in our side, Sheesh if he's a panic merchant, then we're really stuffed bc there are only a handful I trust more with ball in hand at this stage

gerkin greg

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2014, 06:16:49 PM »
are Longer and Adams still in the best 22?  :huh