Author Topic: Will we be a better team than North Melbourne in 2014 ?  (Read 1898 times)

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Will we be a better team than North Melbourne in 2014 ?
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2014, 11:15:00 AM »
You could make a case for every side in the league improving but conversely you could do the opposite too. I think its about looking at the probabilities.

North will probably improve given the improvement to their list and their change in fortunes with their draw.
Richmond should be expected also for similar reasons with areas of deficiency addressed from 2013, immediate depth increased and a favourable draw.

Of the other teams you mentioned -

Essendon will stumble into the top 8. They will again start strong with a newish coach and plenty of 'us against the world' motivation but I'm not convinced the whole controversy won't still haunt them this year and effect their march.
West Coast & Adelaide will make the eight this year with an injury free run.
Sydney will make the top 4. They will have a very potent forwardline and will use Buddy up the ground to create space for Tippet. Hope we can pip them though on the bigger grounds we play them in 2014.

Carlton will not improve. I can't see where any improvement will come from but can see where they will drop away with some of their better players continuing to age.
Geelong are my enigma team. I think (hope) they will drop out of the eight but they have been up for so long (similar to the Pies) that it is always difficult to write them off. Surely they will slip this year as their aging stars drop off...???
Port will drop out in my option. They are a very young team (2nd after GC in av age) and played above themselves with the inclusion of a new coach.
Collingwood will drop out of the eight too. They have lost experience and talent which they have attempted to predominately cover with inexperienced talent. I respect the Pies ability to get the best out of their players but I don't think Buckley has the same motivation capabilities as his Malthouse did. Stop Cloke and Pentlebury and you will stop the Pies in 2014.
Gold Coast are improving rapidly and will be competitive against even the better teams this year. I don't believe they will make the eight though.

Western Bulldogs and St Kilda will both be joining Melbourne and GWS in the battle for the spoon imo

So counting Fremantle and Hawks as assured top 8 finishers, I think North and the Tigers are both the teams who have the most probability to improve and move up into the 8 followed by Adelaide and West Coast who will move inside from outside the eight in 2013.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2014, 11:24:07 AM »
Conversely I think Geelong and Collingwood will stay in the 8, albeit the lower half.

Don't think WCE or Adelaide will be a big deal this year either. Once Naitanui and Walker go down for each team respectively they become much tamer.

Melbourne won't get the spoon IMO. That'll be for Saints or Dogs.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2014, 01:15:49 PM »
There thread is missing the point, Norf aren't the worry, I have it on good authority that The Demons are gunna flog us and make us cry

Offline Bengal

• Premiership Captain
  • Its Tiger Time
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2014, 07:59:21 PM »
The thing with north is their 2 top players are over 30.  And each time we play them those 2 players get us..  Harvey hasnt got much left and Petrie seemed to become inconsistant towards the end of last season.  Wells is pushing 30 if not already 30.

Swallow is a topliner but isnt a game winner..  Most of the rest of their side are just good honest players who bust their arse to win.  They arent anything special just good ordinary players.

Majak is no concern and never will be imo..  He has the physique, cant read the game though.  He'll be 30 when he learns it.

On paper, we should beat them and i think another year of development into our under 22 y/o's.  and its Game over.

The thing north are good at is they generally kick straight and that helps a lot.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2014, 08:01:54 PM »
The thing with north is their 2 top players are over 30.  And each time we play them those 2 players get us..  Harvey hasnt got much left and Petrie seemed to become inconsistant towards the end of last season.  Wells is pushing 30 if not already 30.

Swallow is a topliner but isnt a game winner..  Most of the rest of their side are just good honest players who bust their arse to win.  They arent anything special just good ordinary players.

Majak is no concern and never will be imo..  He has the physique, cant read the game though.  He'll be 30 when he learns it.

On paper, we should beat them and i think another year of development into our under 22 y/o's.  and its Game over.

The thing north are good at is they generally kick straight and that helps a lot.

Keep to the revised thread topic please, it's the Dees not Norf

Offline Bengal

• Premiership Captain
  • Its Tiger Time
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2014, 08:09:40 PM »

Keep to the revised thread topic please, it's the Dees not Norf

:wallywink  Stuff the Dees

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2014, 09:59:10 AM »
Essendon will stumble into the top 8.

Essendon will not make the eight.

b]Western Bulldogs and St Kilda[/b] will both be joining Melbourne and GWS in the battle for the spoon imo

I think the Bulldogs will improve a fair bit in 2014 and won't be anywhere near the wooden spoon. In fact I think they'll finish above Essendon !

Oh and North to fail on the huge expectations being put on them too.

Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2014, 10:31:10 AM »
Norf: put everyone behind the ball. win the ball. charge forward.

Hawdick:   :huh :huh :huh

tony_montana

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2014, 11:58:00 AM »
Blues will improve, lots of experts are tipping the bombres as contenders let alone finalists..

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2014, 12:23:55 PM »
Blues will improve, lots of experts are tipping the bombres as contenders let alone finalists..

Contenders for the June flag
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2014, 01:02:58 PM »
Don't rate either Blues or Bombers.

North I predict will be middle again. Could be in or out of 8.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2014, 02:19:03 PM »
Three horse race at this stage - haw, freo, syd.

The rest will tighten up with alot of teams on the 9-13 win mark from 4th to 15th or so

North will make it.

We'll make it.

Collingwood and Geelong should slide. Collingwood possibly out of the 8.

Alot of people are saying Carlton will go backwards but I think theyll be better under another year of malthouse.

Youd think Essendon will slide. I dont rate their list. But they could have a similar year to 2013.

Port will slide. On par with gc who could just about make it.

Adel and wc to finish on 8-9 wins. Bulldogs establishing a good midfield. Probably around the same or 10 wins.

Brisbane should slide.

Gws and Melbs to improve.

Stk for the spoony love.

"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2014, 05:08:40 PM »
They're psychologically stronger than us.
Richmond list doesn't believe they can beat them.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2014, 05:31:20 PM »
Ox maybe onto something, for some reason they own us and I don't like it one bit.

gerkin greg