Author Topic: NAB Challenge 2 - Richmond vs Collingwood  (Read 17960 times)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: NAB Challenge 2 - Richmond vs Collingwood
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2014, 08:07:40 PM »
A lift in intensity from the last pathetic effort would be good.
But to go in with a full complement of interchange players this time would be a start. I can't understand what they were  experimenting with last time when they apparently went in two players down. If the "experiment" was to look slow, sluggish and second to the ball all night long, then it was a stunning success.
Last time I checked we won't be allowed to use 6 bench players against GC. May as well get players used to running out whole games under proper conditions.

But in the pre-season comp we were allowed to use 6 players, as were Melbourne who took full advantage of the rule. So the question remains, why put yourself at a disadvantage when you don't have to?

To simulate the main season, which actually means something?

Yep, result wasn't important to us last week. I understand that..

But would think the lack of intensity as highlighted by Dimma was the concern more than anything else
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2014, 09:39:08 PM »
SEE THE PLAYERS

Both Collingwood and Richmond will not arrive in Wangaratta until Friday, and unfortunately it only looks as if Tiger fans will get a chance to see some of their heroes.

5pm, Wangaratta Showgrounds:

Richmond players will be training and the public is invited to come and watch the Tigers go through their paces. (Collingwood will not have a training session.)

6-7.30pm, Wangaratta Rovers ground (WJ Findlay Oval):

Crocmedia stars Craig Hutchison, Liam Pickering (and possibly Terry Wallace) will be doing an open broadcast at the Carnival tent set-up at the ground, with Richmond expected to provide some players for the broadcast, but Collingwood appears doubtful. The public is invited.

http://wangarattachronicle.com.au/2014/02/20/afls-partnership-with-community/

the claw

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2014, 10:06:57 PM »
10 goal loss will be acceptable.  :lol

Also, would have liked to have traded our 1st pick for Longer last year just to see reactions. 1 possession and 7 HO's  :lol

you may take the pee but would longer be any worse than hampson atm. for that matter for two yrs ive been saying we should have a go at lycett or sinclair at the eagles plus mcgovern whos a key forward.
as a realist who in their right mind expects young ruckmen to dominate.  anyone who suggests longer doesnt have upside is kidding themselves.

you got the possesion part right atm hes not gettiing much of the ball. most young ruckmen dont. thing is hes no worse than most ruckmen in this area after two yrs.   but your dead wrong when it comes to ruck work. id be over the moon for any second yr ruckman to be averaging 20 h/o a game when played and competing and holding his own in the role. longer is doing this.
you defend hampson along the lines of ruckmen take time, maric is another thrown up  yet after just  two yrs  longer is ridiculed but has done so much more in the role of ruckman  at the same age.
simple put longer has done really  well to play the games he has and actually do as well as hes done in the role of ruckman. his potential imo makes him worth a top 20 pick at least.

i still think longer  and pick 25  for  12 and pick 50  and  we keep 32 instead useing iton  hampson  a better long term scenario than what we did. i came up with with longer 12 , dumont at 25 for pick 12.  hewitt our original  pick 32,  and marsh at 64 a player i rated very highly.,  would have even grabbed templeton in the nd as well. gordon  miles and lloyd could all have been taken in the rookie draft imo.
dont worry about this topic disappearing. right or wrong i will be one revisiting it.

by the way does hamspud look any better at richmond than he did at carlton.

on that squad any one notice how few talls have been named. obviously the talls named will play all the game.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2014, 10:40:18 PM »
Where's Matty Dea?
Does anyone care?
I do. Kinda.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2014, 11:53:01 PM »
@claw I would have liked us to go for Longer but not for what it would have cost us. He will be a decent player but the reactions would have been hilarious to see after a 7HO 1 possie game.

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2014, 08:11:25 AM »
But to go in with a full complement of interchange players this time would be a start. I can't understand what they were  experimenting with last time when they apparently went in two players down. If the "experiment" was to look slow, sluggish and second to the ball all night long, then it was a stunning success.
Last time I checked we won't be allowed to use 6 bench players against GC. May as well get players used to running out whole games under proper conditions.

But in the pre-season comp we were allowed to use 6 players, as were Melbourne who took full advantage of the rule. So the question remains, why put yourself at a disadvantage when you don't have to?

To simulate the main season, which actually means something?

No, I absolutely don't buy that excuse. It's one thing to not play the practice matches without any intensity to avoid getting injured (although even in this instance I would say you're more likely to get hurt by going in soft if the opposition is hell for leather.) But there's NOTHING to be gained by going in with half a bench and pretending that the regular seasons rules apply. By that logic we should have said we won't accept the three extra points for a super goal if we score from outside 50 metres.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2014, 08:41:38 AM »
Have to say I am really looking forward to this road trip tomorrow  :thumbsup

Forecasting a warmer day up in Wang (expecting 28o) than here in Melb  :clapping

Catching up with family for lunch and then the footy  :bow

Expecting a much better performance from the Tigers too  :cheers
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

tony_montana

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2014, 08:46:40 AM »
Question is, will oer go into meltdown if we get flogged?

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2014, 09:02:15 AM »

Because they are only practice matches and you should use them to practice things that you want to achieve in the real games.  This year, rotation management is going to be an important game strategy so it makes sense to practice that in these games.

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2014, 09:15:27 AM »
Question is, will oer go into meltdown if we get flogged?

It will and so it should , especially after we passed up the chance to get old statless Billy Longer to the club.
Anyone who can't see that is kidding themselves  :shh  :lol   
Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2014, 09:17:19 AM »
Practice winning, No meltdown but not happy losing to Melbourne.
Been proven over the years these games dont really count for much in terms of results anyways.....

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2014, 09:56:59 AM »

Disagree. We should play to whatever rules apply to whichever competition. Melbourne went in with a full complement of players as they should, and made us look lethargic. I feel sorry for those Tiger fans who trekked down to the docklands after work and plonked their hard-earned down to watch a side that basically weren't trying.

Because they are only practice matches and you should use them to practice things that you want to achieve in the real games.  This year, rotation management is going to be an important game strategy so it makes sense to practice that in these games.

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2014, 10:25:40 AM »
Looking forward to going tomorrow. FWIW, for those going; sit on the grand stand side of the ground it will be packed there but you won't be looking into the sun.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2014, 11:03:58 AM »

Disagree. We should play to whatever rules apply to whichever competition. Melbourne went in with a full complement of players as they should, and made us look lethargic. I feel sorry for those Tiger fans who trekked down to the docklands after work and plonked their hard-earned down to watch a side that basically weren't trying.

Agree to disgree RR.  Much bigger and more important agenda to the club than trying to win a practice match for no prizemoney played under different rules imho.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2014, 12:54:20 PM »
NAB CUP: Jack Riewoldt ruled out of Tigers' squad for Wangaratta clash
By Jake Bourke
Border Mail
Feb. 21, 2014

TWO-time Coleman medallist Jack Riewoldt has been ruled out of tomorrow’s NAB Challenge clash against Collingwood at Wangaratta.

In a disappointing blow for North East footy fans, the Richmond ace has failed to prove his fitness in time for the match at Norm Minns Oval and will be sidelined with quad tightness.

Reece Conca, Jake King, Ricky Petterd, Chris Knights, Matt Arnot, Matt McDonough and rookie Matt Thomas have all been included in the Tigers’ 29-man squad.

Richmond forward Aaron Edwards said the club was keen to bounce back from last week’s shock loss to Melbourne against one of its fiercest rivals.

“It wasn’t ideal losing to Melbourne last week but Collingwood this week is a new challenge,” Edwards said.

“We didn’t lose any premiership points last week so we’ll look at the positives to come out of that game.

“You want to win every game you play but at this time of the year it’s not the end of the world if we don’t.

“We’ll just focus on building and getting all the little things right so we can start the year well.”

Former North Albury midfielder Anthony Miles, who is vying for a spot on Richmond’s senior list, has kept his place in the Tigers’ squad, which will be trimmed to 26 before the game.

Miles starred against Melbourne last Friday night.

Collingwood, meanwhile, has recalled a host of premiership stars — including Brownlow medallist Dane Swan — for the clash that is expected to sell out today.

Bright’s Ben Reid, Nathan Brown, Tyson Goldsack and livewire Alex Fasolo are other inclusions.

Nick Maxwell and Dayne Beams have both been rested.

Edwards said the Tigers were hoping for a much stronger showing than they dished up against the Demons, with finals again on the agenda.

“Obviously we made the finals for the first time in a long time last season and that’s definitely the goal again,” Edwards said.

“But a lot of teams have that goal so we need to focus on having a good start to the year.

“Obviously we can’t look past Collingwood this week but we’ve got to build into having a really strong start to the season.

“As they say, once you get to the middle part of the season, if you’re not in the calculations it’s very hard to get into the top eight.

“Credit to Melbourne last week, they played really well.”

Less than 750 of the 11,000 tickets remain for tomorrow’s 4.40pm clash.

http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/2103810/nab-cup-jack-riewoldt-ruled-out-of-tigers-squad-for-wangaratta-clash/?cs=53