Author Topic: Ugly maul around stoppages is killing the game of AFL (Herald-Sun)  (Read 5131 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Jon Anderson says the ugly maul around stoppages is killing the game of AFL

Herald-Sun
    March 08, 2014 9:00PM

DEFINITION OF BAD: “A rolling maul in rugby can be described as a play in which a mass of players gathers around a ball carrier being tackled and attempts to gain possession of the ball when it is released”.

Ninety seconds into last year’s AFL Grand Final and 28 players are within 40 metres of the ball, deep in Hawthorn’s forward pocket.

Twenty seconds later 24 of them have congregated in a 10m circle just out from the Hawks’ goal.

In rugby it would be known as a rolling maul, a happening of great beauty to those who subscribe to that code being the one of choice in heaven.

In the AFL it’s a cancerous cyst and one that threatens to detract from its aesthetic appeal unless something gives soon.

Those who hoped the “rolling maul” might be a passing aberration would have been sent further into depression over a NAB Challenge series where some of the worst matches in recent history were showcased.

It has reached the stage where a pair of reasoned legends in Leigh Matthews and Kevin Bartlett have expressed their concerns, Matthews suggesting some players being restricted to their respective forward 50ms while Bartlett has regularly called for drastic reductions in interchange rotations.

Some see Matthews and Bartlett as alarmists, lacking the patience for the next stage of the game to evolve. I see them as concerned fans who want our code to remain superior to its rivals.

And to that end those persons selected to the Rules Review Committee this week (Wayne Campbell, Michael Christian, Hayden Kennedy and John Worsfold) accept massive responsibility.

Worsfold is one who has shown a desire for highlighting individual contests whereas Christian believes the current interchange cap of 120 is as low as it should go.

Hopefully Worsfold will take his hip and shoulder to each and every meeting. Maybe he could suggest no interchanges be allowed between the time a goal is kicked and the bounce to restart the game.

That would get rid of eight players charging to the interchange bench for a ninety second rest and force coaches to makes moves during general play.

Who knows we might even end up with a Gary Ablett or Dane Swan taking their rest in the forward line where their goalkicking abilities would add to the spectacle.

Bring on the opening round next Friday between Collingwood and Fremantle and may it showcase the rare qualities of Australian Rules. Sadly I doubt that it will.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/jon-anderson-says-the-ugly-maul-around-stoppages-is-killing-the-game-of-afl/story-fnelctok-1226849094926

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Ugly maul around stoppages is killing the game of AFL (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 07:08:34 AM »
I wish Andy D instead of assisting in turning our sport into netball would have turned his attentions to this issue

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 10:42:48 AM »
Kb says get rid of interchange

Smart

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 10:48:11 AM »
get rid of wingmen. play 16 on the field only.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 10:54:10 AM »
get rid of the bench

18 v 18

KB "its sport, people are sposed to get tired"

after a while everyone will stick to postions

the sport has been dam ugly for a long time

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 11:07:28 AM »
less on the field = less congestion = more space = more open free flowing play
if you want an extreme example of how this works, watch a rugby 7s game compared to a rugby game.

gerkin greg

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 12:39:12 PM »
There would be a player strike backed by the AFLPA if player numbers were reduced. Not going to happen.

tony_montana

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 01:19:33 PM »
less interchange - 15 per quarter 

problem solved KB is right

dwaino

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 04:41:57 PM »
Just ban pre-season training and all the sport science. The players are fitter. These old geriatrics can strangle the game and the rules as much as they like but coaches and clubs will just find a way to push the players harder to keep playing the game the way it is.

Online Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 05:23:18 PM »
Ban coaches from using all technology during games. Make them actually coach by their wits for a change.

The less players suggestion can stuff right off. Might as well get rid of centre bounces too and go back to kick-offs. Hell, why don't we just play with a round ball , put a net between the posts,  change the scoring and call it International Rules....we could even have a national team and play the Irish.....oh wait....
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2014, 05:32:58 PM »
that's a strange analogy.

why do you think having 4 less players on the ground would be similar to having a kick off rather than a center bounce, and how would that detriment the open free flowing game we now have.

Online Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2014, 05:51:31 PM »
that's a strange analogy.

why do you think having 4 less players on the ground would be similar to having a kick off rather than a center bounce, and how would that detriment the open free flowing game we now have.

Wasn't making an analogy between the exact effect of each rule, was making an analogy between the general effect of fundamental rule changes that would contrive to alter the essence of the sport. If you think it's already a free flowing game then why do you want less players?
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2014, 06:08:26 PM »
 :lol
sarcasm detection so not too flash on sundays?

I never heard anyone complain that having only 16 blokes on each team altered the essence of the game in the old VFA.

You could probably put a better argument the increases in the number of interchange players is what has enabled teams to play this rolling defensive zone so effectively, which many are arguing has altered the essence of the game.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2014, 06:27:22 PM »
Poor commentary is killing the game.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2014, 09:22:18 PM »
There would be a player strike backed by the AFLPA if player numbers were reduced. Not going to happen.

Jobe might organise another sit down protest