Author Topic: Vickery, Jack, Conca, Ellis 'didn't stand up' says Hardwick (afl, H-Sun, Age)  (Read 2893 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Conca, Ellis 'didn't stand up' says Hardwick
Michael Whiting 
afl.com.au
March 16, 2014 12:45 AM

A DISAPPOINTED Damien Hardwick has pointed the finger at Richmond's second-tier midfielders as a major reason for Saturday night's loss against Gold Coast.

After trailing by 21 points late in the first quarter, the Tigers battled hard to take the lead early in the last before again relinquishing it for good.

They had more disposals (406-374), won the clearances (47-30) and had more inside 50s (58-48), but created eight less scoring shots.

Hardwick said poor ball use in the forward half was the major reason, and he did not spare his young mids.

"The disappointing thing for us is our second-tier mids that didn't stand up," Hardwick said.

"I thought I'd get more out of Reece Conca and Brandon Ellis and unfortunately they didn't quite lift their game to the standard that was required.

"You look at guys for them such as (Dion) Prestia had a good game, (Michael) Rischitelli as well."

Conca had 23 disposals and eight clearances, while Ellis was much quieter with 16 touches.

It was left to class duo Trent Cotchin (37) and Brett Deledio (33) to shoulder most of the load.

Hardwick was also upset with his tall forwards who failed to capitalise with the glut of opportunities.

He said Jack Riewoldt (one goal) and Ty Vickery (two goals) were "well below their best", but cut them some slack with the poor service.

"I thought our ball use inside 50 wasn't to its usual standard. We've got to work on that and rectify that before our round two clash," he said.

"I thought we were a six out of 10 tonight. Take nothing away from Gold Coast, their pressure was terrific, they're a much-improved side, we've just got to play a hell of a lot better than what we dished up tonight."

Touted as top-eight – and potential top-four – aspirants prior to the season, Hardwick said the first-up defeat was no more significant than any other.

"It's disappointing to lose, regardless of whether it's round one or round two. We hate losing footy games," he said.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-03-16/coach-report-damien-hardwick
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 04:21:30 AM by one-eyed »

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
Re: Conca, Ellis 'didn't stand up' says Hardwick (afl site)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 01:59:44 AM »
stuff off idiot.
Go bk to Essendon
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond coach Damien Hardwick says Tigers need more from Jack Riewoldt, Ty Vickery

Greg Davis
    The Courier-Mail
    March 15, 2014 11:28PM

DISAPPOINTED Richmond coach Damien Hardwick rated his side’s performance a “six out of 10’’ but singled out key forwards Jack Riewoldt and Ty Vickery as “relatively poor”.

He also said second-tier midfielders Reece Conca and Brandon Ellis needed to improve to support A-listers Trent Cotchin and Brett Deledio.

Riewoldt kicked one goal from five kicks and Vickery two goals from eight kicks. The pair took seven marks between them as the Tigers struggled to hit targets up forward.

“We just didn’t make the most of opportunities inside 50. The reality is if you don’t make the most of your opportunities, they get a couple the other way … which put the nail in our coffin,’’ Hardwick said.

“Our ball use inside 50 wasn’t to it’s usual standard.

“Overall it just wasn’t clicking for us tonight.

“I thought I’d get more out of Reece Conca and Brandon Ellis today but unfortunately they just didn’t quite lift their game to the standard that was required.

“It was one of those games … it was a genuine arm-wrestle.

“We just have to play a hell of a lot better than what we dished up tonight.

“It’s disappointing to lose regardless of whether it’s Round 1 or Round 2, we hate losing footy games, make no mistake about it.’’

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-coach-damien-hardwick-says-tigers-need-more-from-jack-riewoldt-ty-vickery/story-fni5f9jb-1226855911419

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond coach blames midfielders and forwards (Age)
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 04:25:07 AM »
Richmond coach blames midfielders and forwards

Andrew Stafford
     The Age
    March 16, 2014

Damien Hardwick has long had a reputation as a straight shooter, and he didn't miss when he turned the torch on his players after Richmond was beaten in its round one clash against Gold Coast.

Asked about the performances of his leaders Trent Cotchin and Brent Deledio, who were both outstanding, Hardwick quietly but firmly put the acid on their teammates to lift, and he wasn't afraid to name names.

"The disappointing thing for us second-tier mids didn't stand up," he said. "I thought we'd get more out of Reece Conca and Brandon Ellis today, but unfortunately they just didn't lift their game to the standard that was required. Whereas for [the Suns] guys such as Prestia had a good game, Rischitelli as well."

The forwards weren't spared, either. "I thought Jack [Riewoldt] was well below his best. As was Ty Vickery.

"We just didn't make the most of our opportunities inside 50. I think the count in the last quarter was 21 inside-50s to nine, and we were probably attacking pretty hard. But, as tends to happen, the reality is if you don't make the most of your opportunities they [go] the other way.

"We were probably a six out of 10 tonight. Take nothing away from Gold Coast – their pressure was terrific, they're a much improved side; we've just got to play a hell of a lot better than what we've dished up tonight."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/richmond-coach-blames-midfielders-and-forwards-20140316-34uq9.html

Jackstar is back!!!

Hardwick goes on about ball use inside 50
Word of advice
Play in front and it's not an issue
Vickery and Jack lead to the ball for most of the night by there opponents
Footy isn't a hard game to play boys

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
I didn't think Ellis was too bad. Vickers frustrated everybody by constantly being behind his opponent and failing to take a clean grab

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Blames Ellis and Conca

What about Shane Titch Tambling

Biggest spud  going around that bloke
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline flea03

• Future Richmond star
impressive performance by our sub when he came on with fresh legs.... missed matty white big time

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
Hardwick goes on about ball use inside 50
Word of advice
Play in front and it's not an issue
Vickery and Jack lead to the ball for most of the night by there opponents
Footy isn't a hard game to play boys

:clapping Ellis was very disappointing as was Jack & Ty. Conca at least cracked in hard got clearances and tackled. 

Jackstar is back!!!

Ellis has got ahead of himself over pre season
Thinks he is now a rock star
Please

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
I only got to see the last quarter but it seemed like all we did was bomb
It to a contest in our forward fifty that we were outnumbered in, our players would go to ground and gc would stand up and hurt us on the rebound. Outrun us. So painful to watch

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Good to see you practising again Dr Jack

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Ellis has got ahead of himself over pre season
Thinks he is now a rock star
Please

Reckon you might be onto something there Jack.

Wouldn't be the first young player to lose the plot when they are made one of the face of the club

Ellis is front and square with the membership campaign and the kids membership thing, taken over from Cotch

Thought Ellis was poor last night

He's one of the 8 I'd flick for rd 2 but he's a Dimma favourite so he won't be
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

tony_montana

The fact he's cutting Vickery some slack after THAT performance speaks volumes

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
I said Ellis had a crap pre season and looks like he has carried it into the season proper.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"