Author Topic: Shane Crawford explains why he thinks Richmond will beat Carlton (Herald-Sun)  (Read 2396 times)

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
By Thursday evening we will truly see how much "the worst loss in our history" hurt them.

Frankly, I'm sick and tired of the over enthusiasm of our finals appearance last season. As good as our wins were, ALL the good was destroyed and made nought at that one loss to the 9th place cheating scum.

Rest assured, if the boys can't end the game winners I suspect that our beloved forum may just blow up. It may be the end of me too, we'll have wait & see.

I hope the boys harden up for this game and don't make a mockery of our jumper all over again.
I'm sick of being the laughing stock and I'm sick of softy footy.

......And I hate the Cheating Scum!
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
Merely making finals is only considered a grand achievment in itself at Richmond....for every other club it's simply a matter of course at least every few years or so...finishing a minimum of 8th in reality is not that hard and is certainly not the sporting Everest it's come to represent for us - you don't really even have to be that good a side to do it....
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
We will lose there's no more certainty in life other than taxes

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Death?
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
I believe that one of the reasons why both Carlton and Tigers lost their opening games was because they have spent more time preparing for this game than their first round clash. I hope the Tigers brains trust has an answer to the Blues sling-shot play which forces us into a panic and allows then to run over us as the game wears on.  :pray Players like Judd make a difference but it is the belief and confidence that the Blues players must have over us that really makes the difference. Malthouse has a fantastic record over us too.

I am never confident playing the Blues and my hate for them is unequaled.  :boxer

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
Hope the players don't read this article
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
I believe that one of the reasons why both Carlton and Tigers lost their opening games was because they have spent more time preparing for this game than their first round clash.

Struth you'd hope that wasn't the case

An indictment on both clubs even if remotely true.

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
I believe that one of the reasons why both Carlton and Tigers lost their opening games was because they have spent more time preparing for this game than their first round clash.

Indictment or not, I believe that this game means more to both clubs than their first games against Port & GC respectively. I think they would have done their homework but would have spent more of the off-season thinking about the Carlton v Richmond clash. Purely speculation on my behalf but our recent history, painful 2013 exit and player interviews is enough for me to suggest that that this could be the case.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
Death?
Immortals. Death would be less painful than the certainty of losing to Carlton.  ;D

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond

Indictment or not, I believe that this game means more to both clubs than their first games against Port & GC respectively. I think they would have done their homework but would have spent more of the off-season thinking about the Carlton v Richmond clash. Purely speculation on my behalf but our recent history, painful 2013 exit and player interviews is enough for me to suggest that that this could be the case.

Again, I would say I hope your theory isn't remotely close to the truth Stripes.

Every H&A game is important, they are worth exactly the same thing whether it's a game -v- GC, Carlton or Hawthron and that is 4 points. And those 4 points for a win means you have to get enough of them to get to September. I don't think any club let alone ours can take an attitude at the start of the season that one game is more important than any other. Simply we aren't that good (yet) and to think otherwise is foolish at best

Agree they would have been looking at how to beat Carlton but they'd also be looking at how to beat N0rt, Geelong, C'wood; teams we've struggled against too.

The club was very clear in their message that getting off to a "fast" start regarding wins was important to us. To suggest that the Club put more planning into beating the Blues before playing the GC goes directly against everything they've been preaching in the pre-season (IMVHO)

tony_montana

Again, I would say I hope your theory isn't remotely close to the truth Stripes.

Every H&A game is important, they are worth exactly the same thing whether it's a game -v- GC, Carlton or Hawthron and that is 4 points. And those 4 points for a win means you have to get enough of them to get to September. I don't think any club let alone ours can take an attitude at the start of the season that one game is more important than any other. Simply we aren't that good (yet) and to think otherwise is foolish at best

Agree they would have been looking at how to beat Carlton but they'd also be looking at how to beat N0rt, Geelong, C'wood; teams we've struggled against too.

The club was very clear in their message that getting off to a "fast" start regarding wins was important to us. To suggest that the Club put more planning into beating the Blues before playing the GC goes directly against everything they've been preaching in the pre-season (IMVHO)

agree WP, would be stunned if one or both clubs were thinking along those lines. Its 2014 not 1980

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame

It has been more of a focus for player if my conversation with one of them over the preseason is anything to go by :shh
And again I would suggest that the first game of the year clubs tend to put more planning and focus on than other games. This is typically due to the fact that it is the first real hit out after a long pre-season (signalling the end or accumulation of months of preparation) and the sheer percentage of time that coaches have to prepare compared to other games. This year the Gold Coast was our official first game but the reality is that we have been more focused on the Blues game as it is now out traditional yardstick. If the game was played further into the season I think the focus would have shifted as you say.

Anyway it was just one player but the motivation was definitely clear lets say.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
And again I would suggest that the first game of the year clubs tend to put more planning and focus on than other games. This is typically due to the fact that it is the first real hit out after a long pre-season (signalling the end or accumulation of months of preparation) and the sheer percentage of time that coaches have to prepare compared to other games. This year the Gold Coast was our offical first game but the reality is that we have been more focused on the Blues game (this comes straight from a players mouth). Additionally Dimma stated quite publicly that we were focused on starting the season off well.

Yep Dimma said we needed to start the season off well and the season starts in round 1 not round 2 so..... the focus/planning leading into round 1 should have been round 1 not who we played in round 2

Re the bits highlighted:

Again if this is true and I am not doubting what you got told then is an even greater indictment not only on the player for saying it publicly ::) but also our entire footy dept for jumping ahead of themselves (as I said we aint that good). Round 1 was only and should have only ever been about the Suns not the Blues and should have been planned for accordingly. 

Again just my take but if our main focus has been round 2 and Carlton then it is no great surprise we lost in round 1 and for the club's sake you can only hope that; that thinking doesn't come back to bite them when it matters at seasons end

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
And again I would suggest that the first game of the year clubs tend to put more planning and focus on than other games. This is typically due to the fact that it is the first real hit out after a long pre-season (signalling the end or accumulation of months of preparation) and the sheer percentage of time that coaches have to prepare compared to other games. This year the Gold Coast was our offical first game but the reality is that we have been more focused on the Blues game (this comes straight from a players mouth). Additionally Dimma stated quite publicly that we were focused on starting the season off well.

Yep Dimma said we needed to start the season off well and the season starts in round 1 not round 2 so..... the focus/planning leading into round 1 should have been round 1 not who we played in round 2

Re the bits highlighted:

Again if this is true and I am not doubting what you got told then is an even greater indictment not only on the player for saying it publicly ::) but also our entire footy dept for jumping ahead of themselves (as I said we aint that good). Round 1 was only and should have only ever been about the Suns not the Blues and should have been planned for accordingly. 

Again just my take but if our main focus has been round 2 and Carlton then it is no great surprise we lost in round 1 and for the club's sake you can only hope that; that thinking doesn't come back to bite them when it matters at seasons end

I thought it was strange but understandable given the finals results. The players are understandably hurting over the loss and want to exact some payback. I am very curious how this plays out but, I'll concede that it may have played some part in the poor showing of the team last week.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
Hope the players don't read this article

Your absence was fun while it lasted.