Author Topic: The Hardwick Rebuild Is Dead Long Live the Next Rebuild  (Read 33170 times)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Re: The Hardwick Rebuild Is Dead Long Live the Next Rebuild
« Reply #105 on: April 15, 2014, 03:41:20 PM »
The argument about who we should've taken at pick 6 begins & ends with Heppell.

Heppell & Parker were so obvious it wasn't funny. Jackson & Hartley were too clever by half in that draft.
Ok. So that has made the whole team ignore the team plan, not chase, not harass the opposition, not block for your team mate, not put in maximum effort........

People are getting so simplistic around here, it's not funny.

Did you see Heppell against Freo?  He was poo.  Slower than an injured snail.

That's what happens when the players around you don't play well either.  Same with Conca. He needs everyone around him to lift including himself.

Yeah yeah "Footsteppell's a soft girl wif gay hair and plays for dem gay bummers lol!1!!!1!" .... must've been another a player with the same name and  funny haircut  that I saw run his arse off all day against Fremantle in summer-like conditions.

If you think Conca's anywhere near as good as Heppell you're delusional. Not even the same class.

"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #106 on: April 15, 2014, 04:29:16 PM »

Heppell & Parker were so obvious it wasn't funny. Jackson & Hartley were too clever by half in that draft.
Ok. So that has made the whole team ignore the team plan, not chase, not harass the opposition, not block for your team mate, not put in maximum effort........

That's what happens when the players around you don't play well either.  Same with Conca. He needs everyone around him to lift including himself.

Yeah yeah "Footsteppell's a soft girl wif gay hair and plays for dem gay bummers lol!1!!!1!" .... must've been another a player with the same name and  funny haircut  that I saw run his arse off all day against Fremantle in summer-like conditions.

If you think Conca's anywhere near as good as Heppell you're delusional. Not even the same class.
Didn't say he was. But only a fool would think that all our problems are due to the difference in talent between Conca and Heppell. And Heppell is slow in leg speed - something we have already in spades!
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

tony_montana

« Reply #107 on: April 15, 2014, 05:06:07 PM »
When Heppell actually does something other than hit up a target 15-20 metres away, run and gather and do the same I will take note, I think he is grossly overated like Gibbs was in his first few years. In a couple of years he will be exposed like Gibbs has been, people will be wondering why such a high draft pick never breaks lines with kicking or run and doesn't hurt opposition teams. Not saying Conca is better, he needs to step it up, but sick of hearing about the heppell love affair, he's no gun just an average player. There is a reason why opposition coaches don't tag him, = no hurt factor, watch him closely instead of listening to flog commentary by Dennis and Bruce.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #108 on: April 15, 2014, 05:07:42 PM »

Wow that sound amazing

I assume EFC won by ten goals?

http://i.imgur.com/u24usC5.gif
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 05:48:03 PM by Judge Roughneck »

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #109 on: April 15, 2014, 06:51:43 PM »
   :lol ^ thats a huge bitch  :lol
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #110 on: April 15, 2014, 07:45:11 PM »
Some are getting ahead of themselves as per usual.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #111 on: April 15, 2014, 08:26:04 PM »
When Heppell actually does something other than hit up a target 15-20 metres away, run and gather and do the same I will take note, I think he is grossly overated like Gibbs was in his first few years. In a couple of years he will be exposed like Gibbs has been, people will be wondering why such a high draft pick never breaks lines with kicking or run and doesn't hurt opposition teams. Not saying Conca is better, he needs to step it up, but sick of hearing about the heppell love affair, he's no gun just an average player. There is a reason why opposition coaches don't tag him, = no hurt factor, watch him closely instead of listening to flog commentary by Dennis and Bruce.
I love how differently people see our game and it's players. I see it so differently to you Tony on this occasion. Although I too think Gibbs is over rated but I would still swap him for Reece. 

tony_montana

« Reply #112 on: April 15, 2014, 08:45:57 PM »
I love how differently people see our game and it's players. I see it so differently to you Tony on this occasion. Although I too think Gibbs is over rated but I would still swap him for Reece.

Fair enough BT, beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say. Also, just bc I call someone over rated doesn't mean I think they're no good   :)
Heppell's no dud(far from it!) I've mentioned before that imo his strengths are: hes a very good reader of the play, is genuinely a one grab player in traffic, fantastic link player and has leadership qualities in abundance, weaknesses: kicking has no penetration, is very slow and is not a gamebreaker. I just don't get the massive excitement? Solid player right now, comfortably ahead of Conca - and have no doubts he will develop into a very good player but don't see him as an A grader. Having said that, Im not going to write off Conca just yet due to injury, but will admit Im underwhelmed(his kicking concerns me). Have a sneaking suspicion he has scope to close the gap significantly over the next few years but that's just my opinion.

I actually think Gibbs is a very good player(although hes down on form this season) but the first 3-4 years of his career he was being hailed a superstar similar to what we're seeing with Heppell. Then when his star failed to reach the heights the commentators and experts kept predicting he'd reach, he started coming in for a heap of criticism. He's simply not a superstar but he is an accomplished very good player - I'd take him in a heartbeat.

the claw

« Reply #113 on: April 15, 2014, 08:58:43 PM »
[
Didn't say he was. But only a fool would think that all our problems are due to the difference in talent between Conca and Heppell. And Heppell is slow in leg speed - something we have already in spades!
didnt think anyone  at all has suggested that all of our problems  can be laid at the conca heppel decision. . nice deflection anyway.
id say failing to use the nd well is a part of our problems. reaching for players is a part of that.
 for some posters failing to take heppell was an example of how we should do better. it was a small part of the overall picture. at the time taking conca was considered a real big reach by many and not just supporters either.  we didnt just reach with one pick that day but did it twice. sheesh the  batchelor decision was even frowned upon by that defender of all draft kids  sheahan of all people,   who never criticises any thing to do with kids.
those who criticised taking conca at the time have every right to criticise now.

as for the nd heres a list of players nm have taken from 05 to 2010 with 2nd and 3rd rounders wont go past 2010 as it is still a bit early to call and like most of our kids from 11 onwards they will need deserve  time to establish themselves properly. as such like us  from 2011 nm have no established 2nd and 3rd rnd picks.
why nm dunno they were a side around us last yr and there have been lots of comparisons between us. while i havent done the exercise id say the majority of sides in the comp would have a far better strike rate than us with 2nd 3rd rounders from 05 to 2010.
anyway
swallow, goldstein, thomas, will throw in pick 82 here as its aaron edwards who we ended up with. thompson and grima their  kpds, greenwood, wright, black, anthony bastinac, harper.
you know only a fool would deny our nd recruiting leaves a lot to be desired  and we need to be much better.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #114 on: April 15, 2014, 09:10:03 PM »
[
didnt think anyone  at all has suggested that all of our problems  can be laid at the conca heppel decision. . nice deflection anyway.
id say failing to use the nd well is a part of our problems. reaching for players is a part of that.
 for some posters failing to take heppell was an example of how we should do better. it was a small part of the overall picture. at the time taking conca was considered a real big reach by many and not just supporters either.  we didnt just reach with one pick that day but did it twice. sheesh the  batchelor decision was even frowned upon by that defender of all draft kids  sheahan of all people,   who never criticises any thing to do with kids.
those who criticised taking conca at the time have every right to criticise now.

as for the nd heres a list of players nm have taken from 05 to 2010 with 2nd and 3rd rounders wont go past 2010 as it is still a bit early to call and like most of our kids from 11 onwards they will need deserve  time to establish themselves properly. as such like us  from 2011 nm have no established 2nd and 3rd rnd picks.
why nm dunno they were a side around us last yr and there have been lots of comparisons between us. while i havent done the exercise id say the majority of sides in the comp would have a far better strike rate than us with 2nd 3rd rounders from 05 to 2010.
anyway
swallow, goldstein, thomas, will throw in pick 82 here as its aaron edwards who we ended up with. thompson and grima their  kpds, greenwood, wright, black, anthony bastinac, harper.
you know only a fool would deny our nd recruiting leaves a lot to be desired  and we need to be much better.
If you read the thread properly claw, you would have noticed that the root of all evil was being levied at pick 6 in 2010.  I simply said that was not the case.
We are not alone in missing picks that we should have got correct.

Since you are a keen scholar of the ND, why don't you tell us right now who we should be considering for 2nd to 5th rounds in the ND at the end of this year.

Go on.  I'll take a note of all the kids and then in 3 years see how well you've picked them.

We are all waiting to hear who you think we should take or at least start considering NOW…….

It's all yours claw…...

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #115 on: April 15, 2014, 09:13:42 PM »
Leaving Conca out of it, Heppel is still a gay footballer

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #116 on: April 15, 2014, 09:14:31 PM »

Fair enough BT, beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say. Also, just bc I call someone over rated doesn't mean I think they're no good   :)
Heppell's no dud(far from it!) I've mentioned before that imo his strengths are: hes a very good reader of the play, is genuinely a one grab player in traffic, fantastic link player and has leadership qualities in abundance, weaknesses: kicking has no penetration, is very slow and is not a gamebreaker. I just don't get the massive excitement? Solid player right now, comfortably ahead of Conca - and have no doubts he will develop into a very good player but don't see him as an A grader. Having said that, Im not going to write off Conca just yet due to injury, but will admit Im underwhelmed(his kicking concerns me). Have a sneaking suspicion he has scope to close the gap significantly over the next few years but that's just my opinion.

I actually think Gibbs is a very good player(although hes down on form this season) but the first 3-4 years of his career he was being hailed a superstar similar to what we're seeing with Heppell. Then when his star failed to reach the heights the commentators and experts kept predicting he'd reach, he started coming in for a heap of criticism. He's simply not a superstar but he is an accomplished very good player - I'd take him in a heartbeat.
Yer agree with most of that.
With Heppell I see a bloke that still is very young doing it pretty easy at the level. You say he is slow but he always has time to get rid of the footy, and that's something stars of the game do, they make it look easy. Look at Pendlebury, he doesn't look quick but always has time.
The other thing I rate about Heppell is the fact he doesn't try to do to much with the footy, he gets it, and gives it off and then does it again. No fuss and doesn't try and he a hero. Other than his sh5t hair there is no real 'look at me' with him. He gets the job done and with no fan fair.
Heppell is a solid B grader now and IMO will be A grade before too long. Now I hate Essendon with a passion but can genuinely see they have a star on their hands.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #117 on: April 15, 2014, 09:28:30 PM »

Yer agree with most of that.
With Heppell I see a bloke that still is very young doing it pretty easy at the level. You say he is slow but he always has time to get rid of the footy, and that's something stars of the game do, they make it look easy. Look at Pendlebury, he doesn't look quick but always has time.
The other thing I rate about Heppell is the fact he doesn't try to do to much with the footy, he gets it, and gives it off and then does it again. No fuss and doesn't try and he a hero. Other than his sh5t hair there is no real 'look at me' with him. He gets the job done and with no fan fair.
Heppell is a solid B grader now and IMO will be A grade before too long. Now I hate Essendon with a passion but can genuinely see they have a star on their hands.
I too think he is ok and makes good decisions with the ball.. However, I have seen him twice now give up chasing someone who wasn't that fast.  It looked bad.  I hate it when one of ours do it.  On the weekend it was Michael Johnston who he put no pressure on at all and just gave up.  I said at the time, Conca would not have given up and probably would have caught him or at least pressured him with his disposal.  He is not a game breaker that some are saying he is.  He is a solid footballer.  I still think that Conca has a higher ceiling as a game breaker.  However, I admit he is behind Heppell at the moment.  Maybe if Heppell had bone spurs and torn off the bone hamstring injuries , he too would have had his development delayed.  I hope Reece gets an injury free run to develop confidence in his body and hence his football.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #118 on: April 15, 2014, 09:35:46 PM »
Leaving Conca out of it, Heppel is still a gay footballer

He's not Gay he's just a nice guy ;)

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #119 on: April 15, 2014, 09:39:47 PM »

I think Jobe Watson also was slow and had no penetration on his kicks when he first appeared.   These days I'd take Jobe in a heartbeat over pretty much anyone in our team, Cotch excluded.  The trick is your picking and then nurturing talent and Essendon seems to be good at that and we aren't.  Good players have unflapability about them, Jobe got his from his father.  I'm happier we now interview the players for character but I am really wondering about Francis Jackson now.