Author Topic: Melbourne and Richmond request to play an annual Anzac Eve night match (H-Sun)  (Read 2927 times)

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
Great concept.    :yawn

They could have drummers on the field before the boys run thru the banner too.

They could have the roar-o-meter after every goal.

They could bring back the tigerettes.

....how about we concentrate on winning and getting better first boys.   :facepalm
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
If Eddie is upset the afl will listen to him and it won't go ahead
don't bet on it, there's already think tanks planned to arrest sliding crowd attendances, top of the agenda is maximising public holiday timeslots :shh

Bandaid solution that won't save the problems facing the AFL.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
What a great way to commemorate the real men of early society that actually enlisted and died to protect their countrymen and land - Play footy!!

While these men were dying, the gutless dogs stayed home and played footy.
Big tough men on the field but rathered others to fight the battles that mattered.

The afls hypocrisy is as consistent as ice in Antarctica.

Anzac spirit my fkucn as shole
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Might have a chance of succeeding if we were playing another 'blockbuster' team - Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon etc but it will only be a contrived failure with a short lifespan (hello Eureka game) against the Dees.  Waste of our time but in saying that I completely disagree with only Collingwood and Essendon getting the Anzac Day gig.  Should be a set criteria to earn the game - last years Grand Finalists, 2 highest attendance teams from the previous season or something similar but I don't think it enhances the game or occasion to give it to the same clubs each year.  And I know that some apologists say it doesn't matter because the gates are shared around the league but that's not the point - the extra visibility and 'prestige' both clubs get from playing this marquee game year in year out does have an ongoing positive impact to them in terms of marketing and memberships, and that isn't fair from a competition-wide perspective.  Make the combatants earn it, then you will see the Anzac Day game grow even more in stature.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
Not entirely correct, queens b day clash draws a decent crowd , I accept that against any of the big 4 we could play anytime anywhere and we draw an acceptable crowd. When playing the minor league clubs, if the planets don't align it's the difference between getting 39 or 59,000. This would be one step in getting the ducks in a row
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

1980 I Was There

I've read posts stating complaints about having it on a wednesday night or other days through the week, so what! The pies and the vomits have been doing that for almost 2 decades now, never been a major issue.

Mind you though I don't agree with the concept of an ANZAC eve event.

We need to format a game on another big day or create one. Us Aussies can come up with an excuse to drink and watch footy for anything we can think of.

I would love to see the Tigers play any other team, I don't really care who, on a special day, and that special day for me, would be the day we be come a republic and be real Aussies (like the 4th of july for the yanks).

Trouble is I don't see that happening real soon  :banghead

What if we create a day like children's fund, such as The Alannah and Madeline Foundation for instance.

or,

Create one for breast cancer, or for poverty or what ever, just create something new and exciting something that means something to all Aussie, maybe to the whole world.
Yeah I know, some rival teams have their silly little cups for who ever wins that game, but I mean an event that everybody knows about and can identify with.

Rampstar

If Eddie is upset about it it has to be a good idea. I haven't heard him complain about the other smaller teams games that occur after the Pies v Dons clash. I think having it first will mean it take away from their game as it will become the first celebration. Has a great deal of potential imo  :thumbsup

The only reason there are 3 games this year is because ANZAC day falls on Friday. Most years there is only one game. Going forward the only other likely to be played is perhaps the game in NZ and that's debatable

next year you will see at least 3 games played because it falls on a Saturday. Next year there will be a game on the eve of ANZAC day because it is a Friday and the AFL have a TV contract to fulfil. Are people seriously of the belief that in 2016 when ANZAC day eve falls on Sunday they are only going to play 1 game. Please!!!!

Sorry Stripes but how you think having first will mean it will take away from their game is staggering to me.

It won't and nor should it.

The ANZAC day game at the MCG is special for so many reasons and that will never change. Suggest people go and experience first hand to understand why it is so special.

Collingwood and Essendon have done so much to get there game where it is today especially away from the actual field that they deserve to have the game. And the significance of it should not be watered down by the AFL or any of the other clubs trying to cash in on it and that seems to be what's happening here

Pains me to say it but I agree with Eddie

When I was a kid I plainly remember Richmond playing games on ANZAC Day. Essendon and Collingwood stole this match from us.

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
If Eddie is upset about it it has to be a good idea. I haven't heard him complain about the other smaller teams games that occur after the Pies v Dons clash. I think having it first will mean it take away from their game as it will become the first celebration. Has a great deal of potential imo  :thumbsup

The only reason there are 3 games this year is because ANZAC day falls on Friday. Most years there is only one game. Going forward the only other likely to be played is perhaps the game in NZ and that's debatable

next year you will see at least 3 games played because it falls on a Saturday. Next year there will be a game on the eve of ANZAC day because it is a Friday and the AFL have a TV contract to fulfil. Are people seriously of the belief that in 2016 when ANZAC day eve falls on Sunday they are only going to play 1 game. Please!!!!

Sorry Stripes but how you think having first will mean it will take away from their game is staggering to me.

The ANZAC day game at the MCG is special for so many reasons and that will never change. Suggest people go and experience first hand to understand why it is so special.

Collingwood and Essendon have done so much to get there game where it is today especially away from the actual field that they deserve to have the game. And the significance of it should not be watered down by the AFL or any of the other clubs trying to cash in on it and that seems to be what's happening here

When I was a kid I plainly remember Richmond playing games on ANZAC Day. Essendon and Collingwood stole this match from us.
And just as well they did.
Every year a flogging in front of the whole country.
It would've just been another embarrassing performance the club does every year to embarrass us further and reinforce what makes us the laughing stock of the competition.
I'm glad we aren't the showcase game anymore.

And ANZAC eve match between two of the poorest culture ridden clubs will be a comedy act before the real thing begins the next day. It will end before it even gets going as the AFL don't want to be embarrassed on such an important day.

And if you think what I'm saying is offending you ask yourself when hasn't the club embarrassed or offended us?   
The club that keeps giving.

Rampstar

And just as well they did.
Every year a flogging in front of the whole country.
It would've just been another embarrassing performance the club does every year to embarrass us further and reinforce what makes us the laughing stock of the competition.
I'm glad we aren't the showcase game anymore.

And ANZAC eve match between two of the poorest culture ridden clubs will be a comedy act before the real thing begins the next day. It will end before it even gets going as the AFL don't want to be embarrassed on such an important day.

And if you think what I'm saying is offending you ask yourself when hasn't the club embarrassed or offended us?

Our club is full of amateurs and hangers on on good salaries bludging off the supporter base. We all know that. If Richmond was ever managed properly we'd be a bigger club than Collingwood. Alas we have too many people at the club who arent winners and who basically arent up to it when it comes to getting success.

Hellenic Tiger

Why don't we just watch the Anzac Day eve match from 1995 against Nought.
6 goals up after 6 mins.
71 points up at 3/4 time.
6 goals from Daffy.
Wigney gave Carey a bath.
Oh hang on some spud always reams us. Keenan Reynolds kicked 3.
We only won by 49. :help
We will never learn. :help

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond

Yep the did 1982, played Essendon in front of 90k odd people. Won by 10 goals.

However back then they were just games that formed part of a round.

Now it is very very different, in part because of the work the 2 clubs have put into building it over the time. Plus and more importantly what work off the field both clubs have done with the RSL to get it to carry the significance it now has.

The RFC has game, a massive game every year called the "Dreamtime at the G".

So Rather than worrying about trying to create something on the back that works brilliantly already the club should focus on continuing to build Dreamtime into something that is our own and is looked upon the same as today's game is.

That's our opportunity, reckon there is so much more we could do. Would rather see us doing that.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Hellenic Tiger

Now it is very very different, in part because of the work the 2 clubs have put into building it over the time. Plus and more importantly what work off the field both clubs have done with the RSL to get it to carry the significance it now has.

So Rather than worrying about trying to create something on the back that works brilliantly already the club should focus on continuing to build Dreamtime into something that is our own and is looked upon the same as today's game is.

That's our opportunity, reckon there is so much more we could do. Would rather see us doing that.

1982 was round 3 WP. We played Easter Monday. :thumbsup

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond

Really  :huh will need to get my scrapbook out, the one I kept back in the 1980's  ;D thought it was ANZAC day

Stand corrected  :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Hellenic Tiger

Really  :huh will need to get my scrapbook out, the one I kept back in the 1980's  ;D thought it was ANZAC day

Stand corrected  :thumbsup

Would have been my first game of footy as a 7 year old if I went and was shattered when I couldn't go. Remembered it like it happened yesterday.
Instead went to my first game in Round 20 against Carlton at the G and my deep seeded life long hatred for the Blues was firmly established that day when the slurry beat us.:thumbsup

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame

That is correct.  I was there too….Maurice Rioli, brilliant!
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.