Author Topic: Hardwick's press conference - Thurs 24-04 / Tigers better than 2013: Dimma  (Read 3526 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hardwick's press conference today ...

VIDEO:  http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2014-04-24/hardwick-press-conference-24th-april

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

No recall for Tiger Vickery
Travis King 
afl.com.au
April 24, 2014 1:47 PM

RICHMOND forward Ty Vickery hasn't done enough to earn a recall for Sunday's big clash against a wounded Hawthorn at the MCG.

The key forward was dropped to the VFL last weekend and told he needed to improve his defensive pressure and endurance.

Tigers coach Damien Hardwick said his side's defensive efforts up forward were among the best in the League and believed it would take immense pressure to unsettle the highly-skilled Hawks, as Geelong did on Easter Monday.

It means there's no room for Vickery in the senior side this weekend.

"No probably not this week. He was OK on the weekend, he's still got to work on those areas that we spoke about last week and he's doing the work in that and he'll have a good game tomorrow versus Frankston," Hardwick said.

Richmond won't risk defender Alex Rance against the Hawks, while Brett Deledio and Ivan Maric are also still on the comeback trail.

More to come ...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-04-24/tiger-tys-not-the-guy

---------------------------------------------------------------------

From Julian de Stoop ‏@JDESTOOP80_FOX twitter:

Damien Hardwick says despite winning just 2 matches this season Richmond are a better side this year. Not sure many Tigers fans will agree.

https://twitter.com/JDESTOOP80_FOX

---------------------------------------------------------------------

SEN also played a snippet of Dimma saying "Has anyone seen Buddy driving a Jeep? Always good to see a Jeep and being sponsored by Bingle" lol.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 05:44:14 PM by one-eyed »

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Hardwick's press conference - Thurs 24-04
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 04:18:58 PM »
Damien Hardwick says despite winning just 2 matches this season Richmond are a better side this year. Not sure many Tigers fans will agree.

I think he is pushing for an extension on the extension

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 04:21:35 PM »

I think he is pushing for an extension on the extension
I think he is pushing something else.... :whistle
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 04:33:06 PM »
He's just taking the pee now.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 04:38:17 PM »
stuffwit.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Online Tiger Tragic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 05:42:57 PM »
Why is Hawthorn wounded?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hardwick says Tigers better than 2013
SBS
24 Apr 2014 - 3:56pm

Damien Hardwick says despite winning just two matches this season, Richmond are a better AFL side than last year.

The Tigers coach was upbeat ahead of their Sunday MCG clash with Hawthorn, who suffered their first loss of the season against Geelong on Monday.

Richmond have won their last two clashes with the reigning premiers and Hardwick felt they had the game to make it three in a row.

"The big thing for us is if we can win contested ball and get the ball going our way we think defensively we can hold some sway," he said.

He said Geelong did well to put pressure up forward on the Hawks' ball carriers, which cut down their kicking efficiency.

The Tigers could do the same.

"Our pressure rating in that end of the ground is up there with the best in the AFL as are our forward 50 turnovers, it's an area we pride ourselves on and we've got to make sure we bring it against the Hawks."

Richmond forward Ty Vickery hasn't done enough to earn a recall from the VFL, while injured stars Alex Rance and Brett Deledio are due back next round and Ivan Maric after the round eight bye.

Jake King will miss a month with a chronic toe problem.

"He (Vickery) was okay on the weekend; he's still got to work on those areas that we spoke about last week," Hardwick said.

The coach still feels the team, without those players, is stronger than last year's line-up.

He was impressed by the contributions of former fringe players Ben Griffith, David Astbury, Matt Arnot, Nathan Gordon and youngster Sam Lloyd.

"Although the win-loss record doesn't indicate this we're a better side than last year," Hardwick said.

"The quality of our side's a lot better so we've just got to hang tough where we are at the moment and try to nail these next two games before the bye and get those guys back and we'll be onwards and upwards from there."

Hardwick said his team was ready to match a powerhouse team like Hawthorn with consistency missing from their game.

"At various stages we've played some really good footy, we've just got to make sure we find that consistency and not allow a four-goal swing like what happened against Brisbane," he said.

"We're not far off."

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2014/04/24/hardwick-says-tigers-better-2013

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond to face Hawthorn without stars Brett Deledio, Alex Rance

Al Paton
    News Corp Australia
    April 24, 2014 3:01PM

RICHMOND will face Hawthorn on Sunday without stars Brett Deledio and Alex Rance, while Ty Vickery will stay in the VFL.

Tigers coach Damien Hardwick said today Deledio and Rance were close to returns from injury but weren’t quite ready for selection.

“They won’t play this week. I’d love to say they’re certainties next week but I can’t give that categoric answer, they’re a week closer to playing let’s put it that way,” Hardwick said.

He said Jake King would be rested for a month in a bid to overcome a toe injury and out-of-favour tall forward Ty Vickery would spend at least another week in the VFL.

“He was OK at the weekend, he’s still got to work on those areas that we spoke about and he’ll have a good game tomorrow versus Frankston.”

The Tigers go into Sunday’s clash with a 2-3 record but Hardwick said the team had improved since last year, when the Tigers won 15 games to finish fifth.

“In a funny sort of way even though the win-loss record doesn’t indicate this, we’re a better side than last year.

“I think our talent’s improved, we’ve found players — (Ben) Griffiths’ has had an outstanding year, David Astbury has (also), two players that didn’t play last year. We’ve brought in (Sam) Lloyd, (Nathan) Gordon, (Matt) Arnot — all these guys have contributed really well.

“We bring back ... three of our best six players in Maric, Deledio, Rance all of a sudden the quality of our side gets a lot better. We’ve just got to hang tough where we are at the moment, nail these next two games before the bye and get these guys back and it will be onwards and upwards from there.”

Hardwick said Maric was running again and on track to return after Richmond’s bye in Round 9.

He pointed out Richmond had 37 shots at goal against Brisbane last week and should have had the game wrapped up by quarter-time after kicking 2.8

“At various stages we played some really good footy.

“We’re not far off, we know what we’re doing well and we know the areas we have to improve we just to make sure we iron those inconsistencies out of our game.”

The Tigers coach said he wouldn’t take too much from comfortable wins in his past two encounters against Hawthorn.

“We have taken in some good form against them but does it carry any weight this time? Probably not. They’re a form side of the competition, had their first loss on the weekend and still played some pretty good footy.

“Geelong did a number of things that worked well on the day and we’ll try to do a couple of things that have worked for us in the past.”

One of the Cats’ big wins was restricting the Hawks to 61 per cent kicking efficiency coming out of defence.

“Our pressure rating in that end of the ground is up with the best in the AFL as are our forward-50 turnovers,” Hardwick said.

“It’s an area of the game we pride ourselves on, we just have to make sure we bring it versus the Hawks.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-to-face-hawthorn-without-stars-brett-deledio-alex-rance/story-fnia6oop-1226895053136

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
'We're better than last year' says confident Hardwick
Travis King 
afl.com.au
April 24, 2014 5:38 PM

RICHMOND is a better team than last year and knows how to beat Hawthorn, according to coach Damien Hardwick.

Hardwick was talking tough on Thursday ahead of Sunday's crunch clash at the MCG against the reigning premiers – who will be smarting from their first loss of the season against Geelong.

The Tigers have copped some criticism for their 2-3 record so far this season - with wins against Carlton and the Brisbane Lions - but could equal their 2013 start if they overcome the Hawks.

Richmond is struggling to find the same fluency as last year and has felt the absence of talismanic ruckman Ivan Maric (ankle), key defender Alex Rance (foot) and the run of Brett Deledio (ankle).

However, Hardwick talked up the Tigers' depth at Punt Road on Thursday.

"In a funny sort of way I think our side – although the win-loss record doesn't indicate this – we're a better side than last year, which is also important to us," Hardwick said.

"I think our talent's improved. We've found players, (Ben) Griffiths has had an outstanding year, David Astbury has – two players that didn't play last year.

"We've brought in (Sam) Lloyd, (Nathan) Gordon, (Matt) Arnot, all these guys have contributed really well.

"You take out three of our best six players in Maric, Deledio, Rance. All of a sudden our quality of our side becomes a lot better.

"So we've just got to hang tough where we are at the moment and make sure we try and nail these next two games before the bye, get those guys back and then we'll be onwards and upwards from there."

'Nailing' the next two games won't be easy, though, with unbeaten Geelong waiting in round seven.

But the Tigers have toppled the Hawks in their past two meetings.

Hardwick doesn't believe those wins will count for much on Sunday but the formula for beating the Hawks might.

"Geelong did a number of things that worked well on the day and we'll try to endeavour to do a couple of the same things that we have done the last time we played, so it's going to be an interesting contest," Hardwick said.

"I think they kept them down to 61 per cent (kicking efficiency) from the defensive 50 and that's probably been the reason our forward line has changed last week, bringing in some smaller guys to get that pressure up forward.

"Our pressure rating in that end of the ground is up there with the best in the AFL, as are our forward 50m turnovers, so it's an area of our game we pride ourselves on we've just got to make sure we bring it versus the Hawks this week."

Ty Vickery's inability to apply enough pressure was partly behind his omission last weekend and the 200cm key forward will again play VFL against Frankston on Anzac Day.

Hardwick thought having one less tall forward against the Lions gave the Tigers better balance.

"Yeah, I think so. I think we had 36 or 37 scoring shots, which is obviously important,' he said.

"Our pressure upside inside 50m was great, like I said though we probably didn't capitalise at various stages on the scoreboard, but overall I thought it worked OK."

Hardwick conceded Maric's return could change the balance again.

The former Crow is expected back after the round eight bye, while Hardwick couldn't confirm when Deledio and Rance would be fit.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-04-24/were-better-than-last-year

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 05:55:26 PM »
Why is Hawthorn wounded?

Because their depth only goes 35 deep not 36.
Opportune time to knock them off  :lol
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Jackstar is back!!!

Surely he is on medication

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Must be Jack. Sounds to me his trying to justify why we have been rubbish

Injuries, players have improved bla bla bla

Maybe he should focus on his pathetic inclusions he has chosen all year or the fact he directed jack to lose weight to play as a flanker

2 losses coming up lads and dimna's days will be more clearer in a few weeks

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
I'm finding it hard to be optimistic when we are playing a near full strength Hawthorn without Deledio, Maric, and Rance. Inclusion of Ben Lennon is a good start. I'm actually happy Thomas is out this week because I find his inclusion makes the team slower.

Gigantor

This is the sort of crap I really don't want to hear from our coaches..clearly to this point in time we have been nothing short of horrible...If he cant see this ,then we are in trouble

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
Spud the Dud, Treading Water, Delusional Dim & Dimma. Who's next? Hawkins? Capper?
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.