Author Topic: Yeah or Neah - 2. Darren Gaspar  (Read 2305 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Yeah or Neah - 2. Darren Gaspar
« on: July 19, 2005, 03:25:06 AM »
Last year around this time we took a look at each player get opinions on you should stay or go. So over the next 7 weeks I thought we do the same with the current crop.

Gas is next up. Last year most people thought he was gone but he's been back to his old self this year in terms of form. So although he's not on a knife's edge should we keep him or at his age trade him (Gas' got one more year on his contract) to get a pick/player and instead try our young blokes in defence as the next generation?
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

letsgetiton!

Re: Yeah or Neah - 2. Darren Gaspar
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 06:11:39 AM »
we should trade him, he is not part of our future and not strong enough to hold full back any more and his skill still keep u guessiong.

robert walls says gas wants to finish his career in his home state so i hope we try and trade hime to west coast or freo, my bet is gas for polak, polak isnt happy at freo and has gr8 potential, would be a win 4 us if that trade happened

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 07:44:03 AM »
Last year I would have said nah.  This year it is yeah.  Keep him until we have someone groomed to take over his place satisfactorily.

As for Robert Walls - blah blah blah.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 08:23:32 AM »
As for Robert Walls - blah blah blah.
:lol

I think with picking up Graham, Wallace wants a couple of steadying heads around while the young guy's come through. Coburg is the youngest side in the VFL and will take a couple of years for these guy's to come along. Unless we could get a good replacement (experience) I would keep him.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2005, 01:05:22 PM »

robert walls says gas wants to finish his career in his home state so i hope we try and trade hime to west coast or freo, my bet is gas for polak, polak isnt happy at freo and has gr8 potential, would be a win 4 us if that trade happened

Polak - no thanks - I am not interested in players that struggle with the concept of contested marks ;)

Robert Walls has no idea whether Gaspar wants to go home - perhaps way back in 1997 when he was Tiger coach gas wanted to go home but I doubt that's the case now. ;D

Gaspar will and should stay - he's been very good this year and Tezza is happy with him because he is doing his job.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

letsgetiton!

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2005, 05:09:51 PM »

Polak - no thanks - I am not interested in players that struggle with the concept of contested marks ;)

Robert Walls has no idea whether Gaspar wants to go home - perhaps way back in 1997 when he was Tiger coach gas wanted to go home but I doubt that's the case now. ;D

Gaspar will and should stay - he's been very good this year and Tezza is happy with him because he is doing his job.

i seem to differ, i agree gas has had an ok yr and played some good games but overall i dont beleive he has played as good as many say he has, i believe and tiv will be used for trade bait and thats why both are still in the main group an playing every game , if tiv plays this wek i am certain that this is the case. they are imo keeping their profile high and reps up for trade purposes. just my opinion

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2005, 09:36:29 PM »
1. His contracted.
2. Our defense is bad enough as it is, he will struggle without him.

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2005, 10:37:04 AM »
Wallace has the nous to know that the backbone of the defencive function is experience (hence the signing of Graham at 32). Footballers over the 190cm mark as Gasper is are not prevelent and the up and comers on our list are still learning the trade at Coburg and rightly so. Hartigan walked into the side last year just as Thursfield has this year and have both done well along with Jackson when given a chance however these players are under or around the 190 mark.

It must be remembered that Gasper was the number one draft pick in his day and except for the bad times when recovering from his leg injury he has been great for the club. From what has been written and said about the confidence level of the team members in 2004, I think we should discard that form when assessing Gasper.

He has performed admirably this season averaging over 12 possessions per game at full back where opportunity to gather possession is limited and they were gained against what are considered as the gun full forwards in the competition..

The proof of the pudding will be tested over the next 2 or 3 weeks when he will not be playing because of injury.

I think Gasper should be retained at Richmond and finish his career with our club.

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2005, 11:49:59 AM »
Some of you people are f#$%ing mad!!!!! The guy is vying for All-Australian this year and you want to trade him. I forgot that KPP just grow on trees. I mean just ask Hawthorn how easy it is to pick them up and how easy they slot in....

STAY STAY STAY
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

letsgetiton!

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2005, 05:30:53 PM »
Some of you people are f#$%ing mad!!!!! The guy is vying for All-Australian this year and you want to trade him. I forgot that KPP just grow on trees. I mean just ask Hawthorn how easy it is to pick them up and how easy they slot in....

STAY STAY STAY

ur being generous imo, he is no where near all australian form and there are better key backmen going around than gas this yr

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2005, 06:27:03 PM »

STAY STAY STAY

Just put the idea up for discussion om21  ;). I don't believe he's going anywhere.

After nine rounds he was probably a strong contender for AA but I think Rutten of the Crows and Glass of the Eagles would be ahead of him now.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2005, 10:48:19 AM »
Would love to see you name them X-Cited.....

Glass I will pay, mt, but Rutten......I cant comment, havent watched a heap of the crows.

The man simply does not lose a one-on-one contest.
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2005, 11:46:20 AM »

STAY STAY STAY

So eloquently put om21. You said in so few words the message I was trying to impart.
Life should be looked at with an open mind.
Some people take a set position over an opinion and cannot see the wood for the trees!!!

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2005, 03:33:18 PM »
For the short term at least, we don’t have anyone who can do his job better.  So unless we can manufacture an adequate and instant replacement, which hardly seems likely, then I agree with others that he shouldn’t be going anywhere.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2005, 04:40:37 PM »
mal micheal, croad, scarlett, glass, hunter , leo barry , rutten etc are just a few defenders who are infont of gaspar imo