Author Topic: Ivan Soldo traded to Port [merged]  (Read 118954 times)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Re: Ivan Soldo [merged]
« Reply #135 on: August 11, 2018, 06:06:30 PM »
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #136 on: August 11, 2018, 06:06:57 PM »
Did his job for me.Expecting to much for player in his position with little experience.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #137 on: August 11, 2018, 07:49:07 PM »
Soldo steps up

In his first senior game of the season, ruckman Ivan Soldo showed he is more than handy as a back-up should Toby Nankervis ever face a long stint on the sideline. Up against Jarrod Witts, who has been a solid performer for the Suns this season particularly at Metricon, Soldo acquitted himself well to finish with 34 hit-outs and four clearances.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-08-11/five-talking-points-gold-coast-v-richmond

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #138 on: August 16, 2018, 02:35:42 AM »
Ruck coach Ivan Maric provides an insight into the development of his young cousin and emerging Tiger big man, Ivan Soldo:

His different pathway to Tigerland

“He played a lot of basketball growing up . . . I sent a photo to one of the (Richmond) recruiters of him standing next to me and I said, “Take a look at my 16-year-old cousin”. He was a monster of a kid back then –  120-something kilos and 6ft 8in.”

Focus areas for him

“He’s really unique with his fitness and his strength . . . I haven’t come across anyone at his age (22) that’s got as much strength as he does. And he’s also really, really fit. So we don’t need to work on that. It’s more the football stuff – being really good in marking contests, his ruckwork, handballing, and being clean below his knees – having an impact on the game in those areas. He’s really improved a lot, but he believes, and so do I, that he’s capable of a lot more.”

His impressive 2018 form at VFL level

“He’s been really dominant in the ruck, which is a great starting point for him. But as you’ve seen with guys like (Collingwood’s) Brodie Grundy and (Melbourne’s) Max Gawn, you really need to complement your ruckwork with more than just hit-outs.”

Averaging 35 hit-outs per game this season

“The numbers for me aren’t that important. I just want to see the level of competitiveness and consistency with that . . . He’s the strongest in the gym in a lot of areas and super fit. So I expect him to get a lot of hit-outs.”

The key to stepping up from VFL to AFL level

“I think it’s making the most of every opportunity, whether it’s a ground ball or a marking contest. And that’s what Toby Nankervis has been really good at. He very rarely gets beaten and he takes every ground ball really cleanly, never coughs it up, and he gives it off to the midfielders . . .”

His AFL game against Gold Coast last Saturday

“I think he just did what he had to do for the team and didn’t try to over-complicate anything. That showed a lot of maturity. His ruckwork was really good against a guy that’s had a great season in (Jarrod) Witts. And his involvement at ground level was pretty good on the day. Also his positioning behind the play and getting involved in our team defence. I was really happy with that.”

Couple of valuable goal assists v the Suns

“It was a good little kick off the ground to Jack (Riewoldt) . . . and a little handball off to Josh Caddy to kick a goal. That was fantastic. I think Ivan wants to be that team player. He wants to give off the goals . . . He’s more focused on the team scoring goals than himself."

Next step for him

“I think there’s some really good opportunity for him to take marks in defensive-50 . . . really work back hard and have an impact in the air. I was going through his game with him today and there were some opportunities where he was just five metres short. But the great thing is he’s working hard back in deep 50 and trying to help the defence out. If you start doing that, taking marks and complementing it with the ruckwork, which he was pretty good at on the day, and some of those ground ball and second efforts, it’s a pretty good game."

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2018-08-15/coaches-corner-ivan-soldo

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #139 on: September 22, 2018, 10:21:40 PM »
Forgot to post this earlier today but Caro on 3aw mentioned that Soldo has been re-signed. She didn't say for how long though.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #140 on: September 22, 2018, 10:46:38 PM »
Why? He's stuffing useless....

- Gustav Mahler

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #141 on: September 23, 2018, 12:25:01 AM »
Why? He's stuffing useless....

Because if nank goes down we literally don’t have another ruckman besides soldo.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #142 on: September 23, 2018, 12:41:59 AM »
We could easily find an upgrade on Soldo in the state leagues...proibaby two.... :shh

- Gustav Mahler

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #143 on: September 23, 2018, 01:00:57 AM »
If that’s the case I’m all for it. He was horrible in loss to Essendon. If Chol kept rucking the last 5 mins think we would have snuck it.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Make or break: Richmond's Ivan Soldo eyes breakout year (Canberra Times)
« Reply #144 on: March 20, 2019, 06:22:41 PM »
Make or break: Richmond's Ivan Soldo eyes breakout year

Caden Helmers
Canberra Times
20 March 2019

No longer can Ivan Soldo rest on his laurels as a rookie learning the ropes. This is make or break.

Off-contract with just eight senior games to his name, the Richmond Tigers prospect says it is time to step up and become a bona fide AFL player as the club resumes the role of the hunter.

Soldo is determined to force his way into Richmond's best 22 behind chief ruckman Toby Nankervis with new rules encouraging clubs to play two genuine rucks.

The 22-year-old's lack of a second position could count against him early but 204cm Soldo is confident he has what it takes to become a more versatile player in his bid to earn a contract extension.

"For me, I’ve been improving in all areas, but it’s probably time for me now to step up," Soldo said.

"It’s been four years, this is my fifth season now. I’ve got to start making use of what’s here now. At the start you’re just getting used to it all, and every year there is a couple of guys they play young, but with me being 22 now, the coaches want to see more from me. The pressure might be on.

"Patience is the key. The rule changes open the doors for that second ruck role again, but it’s up to the coaches to see what they want to do.

"There is a lot more space in the middle so there will be more emphasis on having a good ruckman, and not just having a short ruckman, in that centre bounce. It’s such an important part of the game now, with stoppages and clearances.

"Playing pre-season gives me confidence that I’m in that 26, but obviously you want to be in that 22. I would love to play more with the AFL starting team, so those opportunities in pre-season, you’ve got to take them and earn the trust of your teammates.

"I need to trust them and they can trust me, knowing that I can be that person and be that player they want."

Soldo's sheer determination to prove himself is perhaps a little different to where he was a year ago, when he didn't want to heap pressure on himself or whip himself for not playing a certain number of games.

The former ACT basketballer's mentality is reverberating around Punt Road after the Tigers bowed out in a shock preliminary final defeat at the hands of Collingwood last year.

Richmond were favourites to defend their title, so dominant were they that no club could get close to them - until the Magpies caused a major boilover and forced the Tigers to watch the grand final from afar.

"The coaches always try to motivate us with that. The way we went out was now how we obviously expected or wanted," Soldo said.

"They always say it’s better to be the hunter than the hunted. The whole season going so well and ending with that game really burred a couple of boys up.

"The club is amazing, even win or loss, the connection is there. Everyone is enthusiastic. The club is in a great place for the future. Whether I play or not, I know the club is going to do well, but personally, I hope to be playing a lot more this year."

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/afl/make-or-break-richmond-s-ivan-soldo-eyes-breakout-year-20190318-p5158u.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #145 on: May 17, 2019, 01:14:18 PM »
From Barrett's 'Sliding Doors' column:

IF ... there's a player who must seize an opportunity this weekend now that it has finally come ...

THEN ... it's Ivan Soldo. First game for the year, only eight in the bank, and facing Big Boy McEvoy. Good luck.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-17/sliding-doors-round-nine

Online yandb

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #146 on: May 19, 2019, 06:04:27 PM »
Crickets chirping Crickets chirping  Crickets chirping from the Soldo haters.

Played well today and gave Dusty some great service.

Changed the dynamics of our center work.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #147 on: May 19, 2019, 06:07:04 PM »
Did not look out of place at all in the ruck or around the ground.

Great stuff!

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #148 on: May 19, 2019, 06:16:32 PM »
Well above expectations today .
Unleash the tornado

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens