Author Topic: Ivan Soldo traded to Port [merged]  (Read 116167 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Ivan Soldo traded to Port [merged]
« on: July 23, 2014, 09:30:59 PM »
Richmond ruckman Ivan Maric’s cousin Ivan Soldo rookie-listed by the Tigers
MICHAEL WARNER
HERALD SUN JULY 23, 2014 9:00PM

Richmond ruckman Ivan Maric, right, with his rookie-listed cousin Ivan Soldo. Picture: Tim Carrafa
A NEW ruckman called Ivan has landed at Richmond.

Ivan Soldo, 18, the cousin of Tigers cult hero Ivan Maric, has been signed as a rookie despite never playing a game of footy in his life.

The giant 204cm, 106kg state basketballer will run out for his first Australian Rules match for the Northern Knights in the TAC Cup on Saturday.

He’ll play out the year in the under 18s before joining the Tigers full-time next year.

“I’ve never played before but I might as well give it my best shot,” Soldo said yesterday.

“My cousin Ivan helped me out a lot in getting through to Richmond, but it’s pretty random how it all happened.”

Soldo’s journey to Punt Rd began over Christmas when the talented Canberra-based basketballer told his cousin he was keen to try football.

Maric, who stands at 200cm, got the ball rolling by showing Tigers chiefs a photograph of Soldo, who has represented the ACT in basketball at under 16 and under 18 level.

Ivan Maric helped cousin Ivan Soldo land an AFL rookie spot. Picture: Tim Carrafa
“It’s all happened really quickly,” Maric said yesterday.

“He was talking to me about wanting to play footy ... I showed the club a photo of us together and they couldn’t believe the size of the kid.

“So he came down (in May) and had a bit of a kick and did some training. He’s got the height and size but the most important thing was the attitude and work ethic that he showed. He just wants to learn.”

Because Soldo has never been registered at an Australian Rules club, Richmond was able to sign him as a category B rookie — the same rule used by Collingwood to secure US college basketball player Mason Cox last month.

The Croatian cousins share the same first name, but not the trademark Maric mullett.

“He’s still single so he’s looking for a wife,” quipped Maric, whose father and grandfather are also named Ivan.

“It’s a pretty popular Croatian name. If you go down to the Croatian club and call out Ivan probably about 50 blokes will turn around.”

Richmond football boss Dan Richardson said yesterday: “Ivan is very raw, and will be a long-term project, but he has all the attributes of an AFL player and we look forward to seeing what he can bring to the group.

“He has shown a great capacity and willingness to learn, and he has really thrown himself into training.

“Being able to gain some valuable playing experience in the TAC Cup will only fast-track his development, before he can join in a full pre-season with Richmond.

“And being able to go to his cousin for advice has also helped introduce him to the weekly demands of AFL footy.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-ruckman-ivan-marics-cousin-ivan-soldo-rookielisted-by-the-tigers/story-fni5f9jb-1226998896598
« Last Edit: October 18, 2023, 01:09:11 PM by one-eyed »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

the claw

i know i come across negative all the time. in fact lately i am , i question if i should even be posting on our sites im tht dismayed in the direction the club has taken.
thing is i really have to question this.
an 18 yr old whos never played the game.  yet we could ignore youngsters like darcy cameron.  we can give a rookie spot to one of our players cousins a kid who hasnt played the game yet we can ignore, and not even rookie  young ruckmen who have come thru elite systems  and who show plenty ffs cameron for instance was touted as the best young ruckman going around last yr.

look i can live with giving ivans cousin a go he may have some potential. but at the same time i sure as hell hope we can target and rookie list a young FOOTBALLER  like darcy cameron at the same time.
i can see it now, the recruiters and list manager sitting around the table and they go,  we dont have to look at any other ruckmen we have the 18 yo basketballer whos ivans cousin  hes bound to make it.

tony_montana

youre not wrong claw

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Already an upgrade on Hampsud.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
Nothing really risked but you would hope for a little more complexity from our recruiting department than here's a photo of my cousin who would like to play footy.

The other thing that jumps out is how valuable is the TAC Cup if it's integrity can be disrupted in such a way. No wonder SA and WA kids playing senior leagues seem to come out more advanced.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
A category B rookie doesn't take up any of our rookie or main list spots does it? That's the way I understand it. So I get Claws point but comparing rookie listing footballers v non footballers is a bit redundant in this case since he's a category B rookie.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
Nothing really risked but you would hope for a little more complexity from our recruiting department than here's a photo of my cousin who would like to play footy.

Well it's a basically a free hit but yeah good to see we've moved on from watching 20 minute videos of kids from NT. I guess now we at least put effort into our first round picks.

- Gustav Mahler

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
A category B rookie doesn't take up any of our rookie or main list spots does it? That's the way I understand it.

That's how I thought it worked as well.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

the claw

A category B rookie doesn't take up any of our rookie or main list spots does it? That's the way I understand it. So I get Claws point but comparing rookie listing footballers v non footballers is a bit redundant in this case since he's a category B rookie.
article only says hes signed as a rookie.

what is wrong with getting him onto our supplementary reserves list you knopw the list that contains  davey  who doesnt play. we get him in our system we keep an eye on him  and we dont waste a spot on a bloke whos never played the game.

its almost as if they they think they can appease us by feel good stories. im sick to death of this sort of nonsense.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame

what is wrong with getting him onto our supplementary reserves list you knopw the list that contains  davey  who doesnt play. we get him in our system we keep an eye on him  and we dont waste a spot on a bloke whos never played the game.

its almost as if they they think they can appease us by feel good stories. im sick to death of this sort of nonsense.

Try again santa:

Because Soldo has never been registered at an Australian Rules club, Richmond was able to sign him as a category B rookie — the same rule used by Collingwood to secure US college basketball player Mason Cox last month.

- Gustav Mahler

dwaino

schnell schnell der Ivans kommt

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
Black Mullet ist krieg!

- Gustav Mahler

the claw

Try again santa:

ah pays to read the whole article. got abouyt half way and had enough.
still i find it amazing we cant rookie list young ruckmen or talls for that matter who have come thru the elite systems and programs that are set out.
as i also said fine give him a go but ffs lets not put all of our eggs in the cousin basket. what odds do you give me that this bloke remains  the only ruckman we have  looked  at come the end of the off season.

dwaino

Black Mullet ist krieg!

bahaha pay that. Call of the Winter Mullet, given the time of year.

the claw

but yeah good to see we've moved on from watching 20 minute videos of kids from NT. I guess now we at least put effort into our first round picks.
have we? sheesh going by our record you could have fooled me.