Author Topic: Ivan Soldo traded to Port [merged]  (Read 118501 times)

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
Re: Ivan Soldo [merged]
« Reply #360 on: September 22, 2019, 02:44:35 PM »
Menadue
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #361 on: September 22, 2019, 08:00:01 PM »
Just get 50 AFL game into the 'due an he'll come good...so some time in 2023... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #362 on: September 26, 2019, 03:30:36 PM »
Ivvy's piece about his cousin.

Flying Soldo

AFLPA
By Ivan Maric
Sep 26, 2019

Richmond big man Ivan Soldo failed to make the Tigers’ VFL Grand Final side in 2017. Now the former category B rookie is set to play a key role in Richmond’s ruck setup in this year’s AFL Grand Final against the GWS Giants and his cousin and ruck coach Ivan Maric told AFLPlayers.com.au that he’s ready to take his opportunity.

Ivan was fit to play in the 2017 VFL Grand Final for Richmond, but he didn’t get picked.

I took his spot instead and I still carry guilt about it.

It was the final game of my career at the Tigers and looking back at it I should have faked an injury or something to allow my cousin to play.

It was really hard to have that conversation with him and try to keep his spirits up.

At the time that was really hard for him and it took him a while to overcome that setback.

But I think it’s a great lesson for a lot of people: if you try to be positive and focus on improving and building your game and investing in the team, things will work out for you.

Now Ivan is getting prepared for an AFL Grand Final against the GWS Giants and I couldn’t be happier and prouder of what he’s achieved.

It was not an easy road that’s for sure.

Coming from a soccer and basketball background, Ivan hardly played football when he was growing up.

He made the move down from Canberra when he was in his late teenage years and had never even played a game of footy up until 2014.

I had a hand in bringing him to the club, but when he joined Richmond in the 2015 Rookie Draft, it was pretty clear he had a lot of work to do to understand the basics of the game.

He had to brush up not only his football skills but different life skills as well, moving out of home and living with a host family presented its challenges.

Those experiences really helped him deal with the setbacks that have popped up along the journey.

To his credit, Ivan has worked hard on improving the fundamentals of his game.

He had to do all of this work without any guarantee of anything from Richmond. He lost a lot of weight and got much fitter.

He needed to understand the game better, but also learn how to kick properly over short distances and where to position his hands in marking contests.

Really basic stuff that a guy who grew up playing a different sport needed to focus on.

It’s not just because he’s tall that he’s playing. He deserves his spot, so I’m really happy for him.

The whole extended family have been such a good support for him and his parents, Mum Slavica and Dad Nevrenko were crucial for him off the field as well when he first moved down to Melbourne to live with a host family.

Nev has had a moustache for as long as I can remember, so I guess there’s no surprise that Ivan has followed suit with his own furry upper lip.

Being Croatian, we have a really large family and we both have plenty of cousins.

We probably won’t be able to get enough tickets to cover everyone, but most of the family will be there to support him on Saturday.

In my role as ruck coach, I want to make sure I give all of our ruckmen, Toby (Nankervis), Mabior (Chol) and Noah (Balta) the right opportunity to evolve and grow.

I try to keep the care consistent with all the players, so I don’t want to show favourtism to Ivan just because he’s family.

But I’ve really enjoyed seeing him happy and achieving what he has.

I’m super proud of him and can’t wait to see him play in the Grand Final on Saturday.

http://www.aflplayers.com.au/article/flying-soldo/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #363 on: September 29, 2019, 07:10:06 AM »
Ivan Soldo – 6

Teamed nicely with Nankervis to help the Tigers get the better of the midfield battle. Dropped into the hole in front of Harry Himmelberg to take a timely second-quarter grab and then brought the house down with his goal from 45m right as the three-quarter time siren sounded.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-09-28/player-ratings-richmond

IVAN SOLDO 7

First Ivan Maric did it with a mullet and now another Ivan has done it with that mo. The aspiring cartoonist hasn’t even played 100 games of Australian rules – total – but penned himself into Richmond’s history with a really solid day. A cult hero.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/afl-grand-final-player-ratings-dustin-martin-and-bachar-houli-shine-toby-green-phil-davis-flop/news-story/3b13f40fe020027c0e71ae275f356ff2

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #364 on: September 29, 2019, 03:34:52 PM »
He is developing nicely starting to take marks now and not bad around the ground.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #365 on: September 29, 2019, 04:01:59 PM »
Really happy with the big fella. Developing really well.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #366 on: September 29, 2019, 07:49:39 PM »
I said about 3 years ago after watching him play in the twos down at Frankston that he was the worst footballer I had seen play at VFL level. He could not even kick..... but yesterday he was brilliant IMO.

The club and its development coaches have performed a miracle with Soldo.

Really happy for the fella.

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #367 on: September 29, 2019, 08:39:32 PM »
I said about 3 years ago after watching him play in the twos down at Frankston that he was the worst footballer I had seen play at VFL level. He could not even kick..... but yesterday he was brilliant IMO.

Don't forget his drive to improve. In his first year he told me his goal was to become our 1st ruck within 4 years, well he has achieved this and got a premiership along the way. Stunning performance  :shh

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #368 on: September 30, 2019, 10:58:50 AM »
Genuinely our 1st ruck currently.

And there are so many giant rucks going around these days, most clubs seem to have blokes 202-210cm and 105-110kg. We really need Soldo given his extra size over Nank. He's developing sensationally well with some games and has been very good with those token shots on goal within 30m.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #369 on: September 30, 2019, 11:43:25 AM »
Love how well he's getting back to take intercept marks. Will have to win most Improved at the BnF.

Perhaps he is the knockout king after all, props to that bloke who thought he was a gun all along....:shh
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #370 on: September 30, 2019, 11:53:53 AM »
Nank and him destroyed Mumford. Both Nank and him deserve alot of credit for the way they played.

Offline yandb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #371 on: September 30, 2019, 06:41:32 PM »

BT I umpired him in his first football match (a practice match between Queenbean and Albury seconds)

He played three quarters and I would have given him the three votes, he owned the ball in the air and beat seasoned ruckmen, best player that match. ( despite the midfielders having to instruct

him where to run to during the game).

« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 10:18:28 AM by yandb »

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #372 on: October 01, 2019, 12:33:59 AM »
Will be playing at Dean Cox levels in two years.
Unleash the tornado

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #373 on: October 01, 2019, 07:47:58 PM »
I am rapt that he is marking a lot better now and I never get nervous when he has a set shot.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #374 on: April 14, 2020, 02:28:07 PM »
Happy birthday to Ivan Soldo who turns 24 today! 🐯🎂 #gotiges  :birthday.