Author Topic: Ivan Soldo traded to Port [merged]  (Read 118898 times)

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Ivan Soldo [merged]
« Reply #480 on: May 19, 2022, 09:28:26 AM »
With Balta qnd now Pickett out

Who pinch hits to give Nank a chop out?

Soldo stays for now

Agree, For now.

I do find him a bit of a hindrance when we use him moving forward. He quite often fumbles or turns it over. But we need him out there ATM.

Kicked 2 last week. Should have had 3

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #481 on: May 20, 2022, 09:58:35 AM »
Think people are missing the point. No need to play two ruckmen when there is only one second stringer to compete against.
There will be games when two ruckmen are needed there will also be opportunity to play just Soldo against certain types.

Imo the last three games playing against one second string ruckman afforded us an opportunity to play and get games into a young mid.

As people have pointed out in the past we have played Balta or Pickett as a break for Nankervis and thats doable when we play against teams with one ruckman especially teams whose #1 ruckman is missing.

On Soldo given the circumstances he had damn well had better have performed considering the opponents.
As one who is looking for as many opportunities to play younger players i think in these circumstances we missed an opportunity.

Online lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #482 on: May 20, 2022, 10:19:56 AM »
I don’t think you’re giving Soldo enough credit considering he’s coming back from a serious knee injury.

Also as damo has said every minute nank can rest is only going to benefit him as the season goes on and his career also as we need to do our best to not break him. Also getting Soldo up to speed slowly is better than just thrusting him in as first ruck if nank goes down. Our midfield isn’t strong enough to shark everything like when 2014 Sydney were still winning games with Tom Derickx

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #483 on: May 20, 2022, 10:23:23 AM »
I reckon all those young mids who miss out on a game while they play Soldo would’ve heard about the ‘team first’ ethos that come from the coach & all the way down.  Playing Soldo gives Nank a break which will become more important as the season rolls on, every kid would understand that.  Also, exploiting our opponents lack of rucks puts another 4 points in the happy column - every kid on the list would understand that too.  Points get us up the ladder which gives all the kids on the list a chance to get a game later in the year while we rest players going into the finals, plus injury might open the door for these kids to even play finals! 
Team first, then worry about the little things later.  I’m sure that any knowledgeable football supporter would know all that though ….    :whistle
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Online Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #484 on: May 20, 2022, 01:17:25 PM »

Soldo stays for now

Agree, For now.

I do find him a bit of a hindrance when we use him moving forward. He quite often fumbles or turns it over. But we need him out there ATM.

I didn't mean up forward I meant when he is used on transition up the ground. He quite often turns it over or takes the wrong option. He is not exactly the most mobile ruckman going around. He did go ok last week and l hope he continues that way as we need him atm.
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #485 on: May 20, 2022, 02:41:19 PM »

Soldo stays for now

Agree, For now.

I didn't mean up forward I meant when he is used on transition up the ground. He quite often turns it over or takes the wrong option. He is not exactly the most mobile ruckman going around. He did go ok last week and l hope he continues that way as we need him atm.

Understood. And I agree.

I don't think it's a good idea kicking long to him anywhere near the middle of the ground.

This should be Nank's job more so.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
The importance of Ivan Soldo (afl site)
« Reply #486 on: May 20, 2022, 04:29:23 PM »
The importance of Ivan Soldo

Sarah Black
afl.com.au
20 May 2022

Since Ivan Soldo's development from a Category B basketball-playing rookie to a genuine AFL ruckman, Richmond has played around with its ruck line-up.

Given that Soldo wasn't a regular member of the side until 2019, it's not fair to couple him with the above players, as his non-selection in the first two years of the dynasty was mostly due to form/team structure, rather than injury.

Saying that, his importance in the past three and a half years has been notable.

RICHMOND'S WIN/LOSS WITH IVAN SOLDO IN AND OUT

SOLDO              DIFF       GMS IN (W-L-D)     Win%       GMS OUT (W-L-D)      Win%

2017-2022        9.5%        42 (31-10-1)       73.8%         84 (54-29-1)           64.3%

2019-2022      25.3%        34 (26-7-1)         76.5%         43 (22-20-1)           51.2%

When Soldo has been in the team since 2019, the Tigers have a 76.5 per cent winning ration. When he's out, they've won just 51.2 per cent of their games – a differential of 25.3 per cent, better even that his pivotal teammate Lambert.

The moustachioed ruck missed the entirety of 2021 due to a knee reconstruction, but was a key contributor to the 2019 and 2020 flag campaigns.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/763203/who-s-the-next-most-valuable-tiger-after-dusty-

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #487 on: May 20, 2022, 05:39:15 PM »
Think people are missing the point. No need to play two ruckmen when there is only one second stringer to compete against.
There will be games when two ruckmen are needed there will also be opportunity to play just Soldo against certain types.

Imo the last three games playing against one second string ruckman afforded us an opportunity to play and get games into a young mid.

As people have pointed out in the past we have played Balta or Pickett as a break for Nankervis and thats doable when we play against teams with one ruckman especially teams whose #1 ruckman is missing.

On Soldo given the circumstances he had damn well had better have performed considering the opponents.
As one who is looking for as many opportunities to play younger players i think in these circumstances we missed an opportunity.

Isn’t that similar to saying why do we need such a tall defence (balta, grimes, broad, vlas, Gibcus) for teams that don’t have more than the 1 tall forward. Or on the flip side why play both jack and lynch for teams with small defences.

I would have thought playing 2 genuine rucks against a single second string ruckman is exposing the weakness of our opposition and giving us an advantage in stoppages.

Then you have the other points about freeing up and resting nank and the fact it seems to be working so far make it a ‘if it ain’t broke don’t fix it’ type situation.

Online mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #488 on: May 28, 2022, 06:24:38 AM »
We knew Soldo couldn't play as a key forward (what were the MC thinking  :help ) but it was Ivan's follower efforts that were more damning giving that's his main role in the side. His head wasn't in the game. Cost us two goals in the last quarter via poor basic game understanding.

Firstly, when you're the follower a kick behind the play and a high ball out of the opposition's D50 heads in your direction you don't move away from where the fall of the ball and the contest will be to wait like you're a small crumber. It left a shorter teammate to try and contest and the Swans won the ball and ended getting a goal.

Secondly, forced a more mobile teammate off the mark on D50 rather than getting into defensive position further up the ground. Allowed Mills to easily run past him and gain an extra 30m on his kick which resulted in another Swans goal to Buddy.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #489 on: June 09, 2022, 07:33:04 PM »
LOL the other ruckman doesn’t go up and Soldo taps it straight to him

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #490 on: June 09, 2022, 09:15:44 PM »
Putting on the full Gumby display tonight

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #491 on: June 09, 2022, 09:17:11 PM »
Shouldn't have played tonight.

Only required against big units like Gawn, Grundy, NicNat, Darcy etc
« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 10:05:26 PM by Andyy »

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #492 on: June 09, 2022, 09:56:09 PM »
Terrible tonight. Absolutely schiessenhausen

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #493 on: June 09, 2022, 09:58:02 PM »
I saw Mcintosh take the ruck once and tap it straight to one of our boys. Soldo was tapping it to the opposition even when uncontested. I still think we are better with him giving nank a chop out but on form needs a spell in the 2s.

Online pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #494 on: June 09, 2022, 10:02:10 PM »
Time for a rest in the 2s for Ivan.  Can't play him resting forward.