Author Topic: What to do with Troy Simmonds  (Read 2870 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
What to do with Troy Simmonds
« on: July 25, 2005, 04:14:07 AM »
If Simmonds wasn't contracted for another 4 years  :P I would've started a "yeah-nah" thread on him but anyway what are we going to do with him?

His centre-bounce ruckwork is very good but he has been a major disappointment up forward (understatement of the year). Do we just play him as a ruckman off the bench for the rest of the year then work on getting his mobility and marking right over summer? We definitely don't need him and Staff in the same team right now. It's like playing with one less man on the bench  :-\.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2005, 04:15:42 AM by mightytiges »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

letsgetiton!

Re: What to do with Troy Simmonds
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 06:14:08 AM »
i believe simmonds is and has been playing with a groin injury, he is ok running in a str8 line , thus rucking is ok 4 him, but when he has to change direction he is reallly struggling, thats why up fwd he has not been on fire. next year we will se a better input from simmo, as for this year, i believe rest hinm at ff, and take richo out to chf when he is not rucking, jusy lettuing him stand in the square and lead str8 up or stay put 4 the contest.
however we saw on the w/e that he is struggling to hold his ground man on man even on smaller opponents, this shows he is struggling to battle an injury. maybe now that staff is back he can be managed better but he will come good, freo stuffed his body up with way to mauch stregnth training and not enough flexibility and agility work

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2005, 07:48:56 AM »
I could make a few suggestions ;)

Seriously, I agree with X.  In the ruck he's great.  Just need to work on his flexibility.

Offline Captain__Blood

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2005, 03:32:12 PM »
4 more years...

Best thing would be for Stafford to retire nex season and give Simmonds more ruck time where he is decent.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2005, 04:26:36 PM »
i believe simmonds is and has been playing with a groin injury, he is ok running in a str8 line , thus rucking is ok 4 him, but when he has to change direction he is reallly struggling, thats why up fwd he has not been on fire. next year we will se a better input from simmo, as for this year, i believe rest hinm at ff, and take richo out to chf when he is not rucking, jusy lettuing him stand in the square and lead str8 up or stay put 4 the contest.
however we saw on the w/e that he is struggling to hold his ground man on man even on smaller opponents, this shows he is struggling to battle an injury. maybe now that staff is back he can be managed better but he will come good, freo stuffed his body up with way to mauch stregnth training and not enough flexibility and agility work

If that's the case then we need Staff to do more up forward but he himself has been pretty useless since injurying his ankle earlier in the year  :-\.

Quote from: julzqld
I could make a few suggestions  ;)

Settle  ;D

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2005, 05:01:46 PM »
I could make a few suggestions ;)

Oh dear  :rollin
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2005, 12:56:51 AM »
freo stuffed his body up with way to mauch stregnth training and not enough flexibility and agility work

Paul Gough was fairly critical of Simmonds and basically repeated the above last night on club corner. Said he's bulked up far too much.

A caller also mentioned Troy's palms face the ball and not his fingers when he tries to take marks. Gough said he's be told that before but reckons the main reason for Simmonds problems is his lack of mobility.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2005, 06:55:04 AM »
we can already see this yr that simmonds has already bulked down a little. after another preseason with a specific training program 4 him we will see more noticeable differences. he needs to maintain his stregnth but not his size and he will put on a program to do this and improve is agility over the next preseason.  freos stregnth and conditioning coach at the time simmonds was there has already been sacked and now he is working at the saints and look at their recovery history this yr. up until 6 weeks ago  grant thomas was questioning his methods due to all the break downs and fatigue at the club and he was told to change his ways or his out.

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2005, 09:34:26 AM »
He kicks straighter and he already makes a world of difference. Pure example was Sunday....instead of kicking 4-5 he kicks 2.3 or whatever the stuff it was. That stuff doesnt help him considering he isnt the best contested mark we have, and his tap ruckwork almost reminds me of that Clown they call Otto.
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2005, 01:43:33 PM »
we can already see this yr that simmonds has already bulked down a little. after another preseason with a specific training program 4 him we will see more noticeable differences. he needs to maintain his stregnth but not his size and he will put on a program to do this and improve is agility over the next preseason. 

I must say I have noticed a difference in the last month or so - he seems more agile - heck he can actually bend down a bit now to pick up the ball  ;D

One thing he can work now though is his kicking for goal - part of the problem seems to be he doesn't have the normal left footers "hook"
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2005, 07:06:01 PM »

Its fitting for our football club that we get rid of one money bags underperformer with loads of potential but never shows it, with an even worse option.

Stafford, Simmonds, and that other St.Kilda reject are just not the ruck options this club needs to take it forward.

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2005, 07:14:27 PM »
I disagree, Knobel and Simmonds are a very good ruckmen, problem is Knobel is a 100% ruckmen and Simmonds is more of the ruckmen then a forward.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2005, 09:48:58 PM »
Its fitting for our football club that we get rid of one money bags underperformer with loads of potential but never shows it, with an even worse option.

One positive about Simmo - he's alot cheaper than Otto was! Chased a long-term  :-\ contract over $$$. 

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2005, 10:40:34 PM »
I must admit I dont pay a great deal of attention to other teams and the Dockers would be one close to the top of that list - and before he came to Richmond I never really noticed this bohemiath. Maybe (Well let's hope) Wallace has something in mind and is able to manipulate him into whatever that is, as sometimes at the games I just can't help saying to myself why the F did they give this bloke a five year contract.

Offline Captain__Blood

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2005, 11:15:55 PM »
Must remember he was  stright swap for Fiora so its not that bad.

Delist Knobel who is a decent ruck wise but gives nothing around the ground and give Simmonds more time i the ruck. Hopfully Simmonds/Pattison can rotate from the ruck to 3rd tall in froward line for the next half dozen years.