Author Topic: Who made the decision to appoint Hardwick over Hinkley in 2009?  (Read 4575 times)

Online torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
Who made the decision to appoint Hardwick over Hinkley in 2009?
« on: September 13, 2014, 10:59:57 PM »
Whoever selected Hardwick has cost us finals success.

Ken Hinkley is clearly a better coach in every aspect then Hardwick!

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Who made the decision to appoint Hardwick over Hinkley in 2009?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 11:03:28 PM »
I agree, but Hardwick had excellent credentials at the time. Assistant at Hawthorn in a premiership year.

Shame though. Hinkley seems to have the knack of getting his players to lift for him. And Boak is a very solid captain.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 11:04:09 PM »
Plus they also have one of the best conditioning coaches in the world, legit. Apparently soccer teams were going to offer that guy millions.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 11:11:20 PM »
People carry on about draft mistakes. Dwarfs into into insignificance compared to this, the big fish.

Hinkley credentials were strong as he was a premiership coach with an inspiring style.

As good as boak is, under the leadership a richmond player could equally benefit

People often say the players should win games the coach is not vital, if you look at a Diego Simeone or Hinkley the manager is key

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 11:18:07 PM »
Well said Andy, the conditioning coach they got from Liverpool I think has proven to be an absolute jet.

Wonder how much of his knowledge of Soccer counter attacking tactics were used in orchestrating the counter sling shot overlap style that Port play which counters the forward press. Very clever when mixed with elite speed and endurance which Port now have.

Hinkley is the best coach in the AFL. Even from 2 years. Better than Lyon, Brad Scott and Longmire who all inherited great lists. Lyon inherited 2 great lists and won nothing from it. Scott and Longmire inherited premiership lists with an elite culture.

Clarkson could mount a big case against Hinkley but the fact that Hinkley has gone from AFL basketcase to Prelim finalists in 2 years with the most exciting brand of footy in the comp is incredible.
Go Tigers!

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 11:18:52 PM »
Wasn't he passed over by other clubs. :lol

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 11:20:15 PM »
Roos is good too

Lyon isn't a bad coach

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 07:02:08 AM »
We need Sheedy

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 07:10:48 AM »
I'll reserve my judgement until a few more years have passed.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 07:40:12 AM »
Good on Port.
They have extracted the most from a good list.
It seems a bit simplistic to put all the onus on the coach to deliver the results - good or ordinary.

Besides, look at the clubs around us when Hardwick started, with the exception of the Eagles and Port - all have struggled and the Eagles have fallen back after 2 good years.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2014, 09:09:22 AM »
I prefer to look at the RFC for the last 30 yrs not just the last few

You can harp on all you like about getting early draft picks but it all means nothing unless the whole club's mindset is changed

Culture:
players getting selected like Newman without going via the vfl
Players like grigg and co getting selected without providing anything more than a witches hat
Our coach coming and reminding us all we shouldn't  forget we won 8 in a row just after being humiliated for a second yr running
Standards being low after suffering a humiliating defeat by Carlton

These things should never happen and is a reason we sit where we are

Development:
Who are these bailey and mcqualter types. Use the bloody money and get some quality in there. The thing that makes me laugh about bailey is who is he developing exactly
Last time I checked we don't even have a ruckman aside from Ivan, so how is his record with Hampson and mcbean.

We need to identify what works at other clubs and double their salary to switch.
Look at monkey and what he has done at the hawks. Ceglar McEvoy playing at box hill, hale. Enough said.
Surely we can do better than a bunch of d grade footballers.

His a plumber too so get him to fix the feces that's  engulfed our club for 30 yrs.

Recruiting: refer to Hackson and Hartley thread

Coach: reminds me of frawley defending his plans refusal to say it how it is which is another disgraceful year that is his fault for not motivating his players to fight for the jumper after the Carlton
He seems to me like a non motivator, with a harmless bone to his body. Do we really need another frawley?
Poach one of ratten, dew or Bolton. Proven in their roles and assistants that won a flag.
Choco is finished leaving the crap Williams and your Timmy Clarke to fill the void and what a steeling job they are doing.

Delist:  get rid of grigg foley Newman now. Organise a payout and send them on their way. They are bloody rubbish and have been so for 2/3 years. The longer we keep selecting them the longer we will continue to accept mediocrity
What annoys me more than losing is losing with these 3 hacks whilst the bean and dea are "learning their defensive side to their game in the vfl" please

Trade: Edwards and Vickery to stkilda or buldogs.

We won't get anywhere with this list. You have to remember from round 5 we hardly had any injuries. What's going to happen if  maric or jack go down.

Ramps has said it for yrs now this side is a 6-10 and that's all it will ever be in it's current form

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Gigantor

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2014, 10:45:16 AM »
Angus..you nailed it.
It wouldn't matter if we got the tandem coaches Ron Barrassi and kevin sheedy ,until the mindset of this club changes nothing will

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2014, 11:32:05 AM »
You forgot the over the top celebrations from the club whenever we make finals.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2014, 11:39:25 AM »
You must lead sad lives fellas.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2014, 11:41:02 AM »
Whoever selected Hardwick has cost us finals success.

Ken Hinkley is clearly a better coach in every aspect then Hardwick!

You needed a brand new thread of this?

Couldn't you have just used your "Sack Harwick" thread  :rollin
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)