Author Topic: Pick 12 - who should we draft?  (Read 88361 times)

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Pick 12 - who should we draft?
« Reply #270 on: October 27, 2014, 09:57:49 PM »
http://www.ntnews.com.au/sport/australian-football/nakia-hopes-for-port-on-draft-day/story-fnk2to87-1227099936838

Sounds real professional does this kid...might as well've posed for the photo wearing the stuffin' thing....
He won't be going to Port. That is highly unlikely. Ports first pick is pick 57!  ;D
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #271 on: October 27, 2014, 10:09:03 PM »
http://www.ntnews.com.au/sport/australian-football/nakia-hopes-for-port-on-draft-day/story-fnk2to87-1227099936838

Sounds real professional does this kid...might as well've posed for the photo wearing the stuffin' thing....
He won't be going to Port. That is highly unlikely. Ports first pick is pick 57!  ;D

Yes he'll just let another club develop him for Port for two years first....

Seriously though....by all means state which club you support if asked, but what kind of flog gives an interview like that and poses for a photo holding up a club's guernsey before they've even been drafted?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 10:25:57 PM by Diocletian »
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

the claw

« Reply #272 on: October 27, 2014, 10:56:30 PM »
EEA, I reckon we go after mids in the draft and any KPP's with either trading or free agency. The time taken to develop KPP's isn't a luxury we can afford.
I would like to think we can find someone at 12 who can have an impact in season 1 - even as a sub.
yep and we wonder why we only have one decent tall fwd one decent tall defender and havent produced a decent ruckman in 30 odd yrs. this is what the club does now.

if you want quality talls you take em early just like you do mids.  we would be mugs not to look at marchbank and durdin if they were there depending on what mids are left.

but wait they will take 3 yrs before we get any real input out of em.  isnt it typical.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #273 on: October 27, 2014, 11:05:53 PM »
EEA, I reckon we go after mids in the draft and any KPP's with either trading or free agency. The time taken to develop KPP's isn't a luxury we can afford.
I would like to think we can find someone at 12 who can have an impact in season 1 - even as a sub.
yep and we wonder why we only have one decent tall fwd one decent tall defender and havent produced a decent ruckman in 30 odd yrs. this is what the club does now.

if you want quality talls you take em early just like you do mids.  we would be mugs not to look at marchbank and durdin if they were there depending on what mids are left.

but wait they will take 3 yrs before we get any real input out of em.  isnt it typical.
Not sure why you are using my post if not prepared to debate he content.
My point is that we should be targeting key position players who are proven senior players by either trading or preferably free agency.
They will take longer to develop so why wait?
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #274 on: October 28, 2014, 08:40:43 AM »

Seriously though....by all means state which club you support if asked, but what kind of flog gives an interview like that and poses for a photo holding up a club's guernsey before they've even been drafted?

It's the NT News. the port jumper would have been given to him by them after they couldnt find a crocodile for him to pose with.

why is it that you make such a big deal of something minor like this but were all over garlett despite his off field issues that saw him completely overlooked in one draft and taken late in the next, and ultimately to be given the flick?

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #275 on: October 28, 2014, 02:54:04 PM »

It's the NT News. the port jumper would have been given to him by them after they couldnt find a crocodile for him to pose with.

why is it that you make such a big deal of something minor like this but were all over garlett despite his off field issues that saw him completely overlooked in one draft and taken late in the next, and ultimately to be given the flick?

Well despite being more convinced of Garlett's talent and confident of it translating to AFL than I am of Cockatoo's, I never advocated using our first pick on the former as some are with the latter and also acknowledged he was a flog and a risk, apart from that, as I have previously stated, I don't really have a problem with us taking Cockatoo with a later pick if he were still there - just as I would have with Garlett. This however, is a thread about who we should take at pick 12 and it is in that context that I voiced my opinion.

"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #276 on: October 28, 2014, 04:49:03 PM »
Cats looking at Duggan, De Goey or someone who slips from the top few at pick 10, according to Brett Anderson.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #277 on: October 28, 2014, 09:33:48 PM »
Cats looking at Duggan, De Goey or someone who slips from the top few at pick 10, according to Brett Anderson.
I'd prefer Duggan, Cats can have De Goey.
Just looking at some YouTube clips of the boys, there is some really talented kids. Would be nice to have a few picks. Like the way Langford plays too.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #278 on: October 28, 2014, 10:27:23 PM »
Just looking at some YouTube clips of the boys, there is some really talented kids. Would be nice to have a few picks. Like the way Langford plays too.

Would love to snag Langford, personally wouldn't be at all unhappy if we took him at 12. If only we had another top 20-30 pick.

- Thomas Sowell

the claw

« Reply #279 on: October 28, 2014, 11:19:53 PM »

Would love to snag Langford, personally wouldn't be at all unhappy if we took him at 12. If only we had another top 20-30 pick.
locked and loaded we dont need any other picks. ;D

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #280 on: October 29, 2014, 09:56:20 AM »
VIDEO: Draft trumps - Lachie Weller: http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-10-29/draft-trumps-lachie-weller

29 days to the draft: Meet Lachie Weller
Callum Twomey 
afl.com.au
October 29, 2014

LACHIE Weller is a member of Gold Coast's academy, spent two months training with the club's senior squad last summer, and knows many of the Suns' players.

But having moved to Queensland from Tasmania when he was 15, he hasn't spent enough time living in the state to qualify as a priority academy selection for the Suns – something rival clubs can be pleased about.

Weller, the younger brother of former Sun and current Saints midfielder Maverick, sits among the top handful of midfielders available in this year's draft pool.

He has gone through all the talent programs to this point: he captained the AIS-AFL Academy in level one and was a member of the team's leadership group this year, and played well last season for Queensland at the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships.

Weller's 2014 campaign was up and down, but he did average 20 disposals for Southport's senior side this season and understands what the next step will require. 

If clubs weren't already convinced of his quality, Weller underlined it with a stellar performance for the Allies in the NAB AFL All Stars curtain-raiser on Grand Final morning.

He gathered 20 disposals and made good decisions with the ball, and showed his skill with two excellent goals, particularly a long, spearing bomb from outside 50.

Why they should pick him

The 18-year-old's traits are obvious: he uses the ball nicely, thinks quickly, marks well above his head and athletically is very good (he has tested 2.92 in the 20-metre sprint). Weller can be used off the wing but also in the middle, and is best at setting up the play with his efficient disposal.

Weller does everything professionally – his skinfolds were the third lowest recorded at the national combine – and he knows the environment at elite level after his time with the Suns.

The Query

At 181cm, Weller isn't a big and strong midfielder. That's reflected in his style, which at this stage is more as an outside midfielder than one who thrives on winning his own ball.

He can do it, and one in three of his possessions in the TAC Cup were contested, but the balance can be improved. He had an inconsistent season, but has jumped around a few different teams.

Plays Like

With his dash, delivery and dare, Weller shares some traits with David Zaharakis. Weller likes kicking goals and has spent much of his season working on using his pace more in games. He is at his best when he arches his back and looks for gaps to break through.   

Draft Range

Weller has some admirers inside the top-10 and it wouldn't be a surprise to see him selected there. If not, he won't last much longer.

Bottom Line

Weller brings some class and composure to the top end of the draft and he's a player you want to carry and run with the ball. The best thing about him is he doesn't need big numbers of possessions to hurt; most of his touches are damaging.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-29/meet-lachie-weller

dwaino

« Reply #281 on: October 29, 2014, 10:07:41 AM »
I remember listening to somthing the Pies recruiters were saying a few years ago about Swan. They said something like they aren't to concerned on big numbers over the season, but how a particular player holds up in big games and if they consistently stand up in those times. The battlers can get you there but it is guys like Swan who have the ability to get you across the line. Maybe this is Weller?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #282 on: October 30, 2014, 05:27:11 AM »
History of pick 12
Herald-Sun
October 30, 2014

RICHMOND — Pick 12

Our best: Nathan Jones (Melb) — 2005

The rest: Ben Lennon (Rich), Kristian Jaksch (GWS/Carl), Sam Docherty (Bris/Carl), Lucas Cook (Melb), Kane Lucas (Carl), Lewis Johnson (Syd/Adel), Cyril Rioli (Haw), James Frawley (Melb/Haw), Danny Meyer (Rich)

Success rate: Toss-up between Cyril and the Dees skipper, but we’ve gone for Jones for his consistency. James Frawley has also been a winner but outside of that, pick 12 has proved a bit barren so far.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/recent-players-selected-with-your-clubs-first-pick-in-the-2014-afl-national-draft/story-fndv7pj3-1227105937814?sv=8e91c52b6ee2db1be9e1acb4ec6416b4

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #283 on: November 02, 2014, 04:19:10 PM »
Talk of Peter Wright sliding down the order and even slipping outside the top 10.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-02/drift-from-the-wright.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #284 on: November 02, 2014, 04:27:56 PM »
I've been praying for this

#1 player in draft sliding to us

bout time we got some luck FFS

Cock @ 33

And another good kid at 50

:pray

A leunburger/Krueser type = locked and loaded  :shh