Author Topic: Dan Richardson discusses our draft strategy (RFC)  (Read 6909 times)

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Re: Dan Richardson discusses our draft strategy (RFC)
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2014, 08:08:35 PM »
Ty is a spud, I'd take anything we can get

He's not a spud

Kicked a 100 afl goals @ 24.

Lots of people worse than that

If maric gets an injury and no Tyrone = Richmond gawn. Hampson lol. Orren still on list? No other option?

tony_montana

« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2014, 08:15:32 PM »
80 of them cheapies over the top probably....don't rate him, will never be much of a player imo, get rid of and bring in Giles on the cheap - will be much better value

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2014, 08:18:31 PM »
We should have held on to tuck. But I digress....

If Jack gets an injury and no ones gone - same thing.

If rance gets an injury and Chaplins gone, well.....
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2014, 09:01:16 PM »
We should have held on to tuck. But I digress....

If Jack gets an injury and no ones gone - same thing.

If rance gets an injury and Chaplins gone, well.....

While I get your point; and I concur if Rance gets major injury Richmond are proabley gonski, we at least have options for Riewoldt going down. Yet the fact remains the ruck stocks are incredibly average as it stands. If both Tyrone and Maric. Ideally Griffiths is too good to risk there, and that leaves Orren thats rubbish and I don know if hes still on the list, and Hampson which needs not explanation. You would at least want to get a ruck before losing Tyrone.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2014, 10:13:00 PM »
I'm not saying you would.

But youd considered the offer, almost everyone has his price.

Would you take pick 5 for Ellis?
No.
Not because I don't think I couldn't get a better player but because the upgrade could only be small and because the team chemistry would be destroyed. What signals does it give to others? Come second in the b&f at 20 years of age and then get traded for an untried kid. Nobody would want to come (or stay) to a club that did that.
Ellis is a quicker younger version of Grigg. Gets heaps of the footy but doesn't hurt the opposition with it. That's not me being a hater, it's just how I see him. Pick 5 would be gift.
I just wonder what players at Richmond think at the moment, clubs that are clearly well ahead of us keep getting stronger and we just sit back getting further back. While the club expects the players to give their all. It must really be demoralizing working so hard to catch up only to see it get further away at this time of year.
Like someone else said, either try and improve the list by trade or FA or trade into the draft more. Doing nothing is just ridiculas.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2014, 10:21:37 PM »

No.
Not because I don't think I couldn't get a better player but because the upgrade could only be small and because the team chemistry would be destroyed. What signals does it give to others? Come second in the b&f at 20 years of age and then get traded for an untried kid. Nobody would want to come (or stay) to a club that did that.
Ellis is a quicker younger version of Grigg. Gets heaps of the footy but doesn't hurt the opposition with it. That's not me being a hater, it's just how I see him. Pick 5 would be gift.
I just wonder what players at Richmond think at the moment, clubs that are clearly well ahead of us keep getting stronger and we just sit back getting further back. While the club expects the players to give their all. It must really be demoralizing working so hard to catch up only to see it get further away at this time of year.
Like someone else said, either try and improve the list by trade or FA or trade into the draft more. Doing nothing is just ridiculas.
That is your opinion of Ellis. The club thinks differently as do many others. As a 20 year old he came second in the B&F. Wow. You must see the world very differently BT. He is still improving and has a huge upside.  With the right attitude he will become one of our top 5 players on a regular basis.
Not sure if trading a player like him for another youngster who is totally untried is sensible.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2014, 10:33:27 PM »

No.

You're spot on BT.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2014, 11:42:06 PM »
80 of them cheapies over the top probably....don't rate him, will never be much of a player imo, get rid of and bring in Giles on the cheap - will be much better value

Should have straight swapped for Gartett. We would have won a premiership next year :banghead

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2014, 11:52:28 PM »

No.

You're spot on BT.

negative

what are your thoughts on Conca BT? Just interested as you dont seem to rate Ellis all that high
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

tony_montana

« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2014, 07:55:50 AM »

Should have straight swapped for Gartett. We would have won a premiership next year :banghead

Duh....

the claw

« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2014, 09:56:29 AM »

No.
That is your opinion of Ellis. The club thinks differently as do many others. As a 20 year old he came second in the B&F. Wow. You must see the world very differently BT. He is still improving and has a huge upside.  With the right attitude he will become one of our top 5 players on a regular basis.
Not sure if trading a player like him for another youngster who is totally untried is sensible.
im with tone here and there are plenty of others.
theres an old saying, where theres smoke theres fire. just because others and the club cant see it it doesnt mean those things dont exist.
and my god how anyone can sit there and say ;  the club thinks differently and think that makes a difference is beyond belief. with their record its actually a negative. the club have constantly thought differently and unfortunately been wrong on far too many occasions.

the claw

« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2014, 10:23:49 AM »

He's not a spud

If maric gets an injury and no Tyrone = Richmond gawn. Hampson lol. Orren still on list? No other option?
your totally deluded at times judge. hampson is actually a better ruckman. he gives a better contest in the ruck. he just doesnt do anything else.
there is only one option if maric gets hurt and that is play hampson, its sad but true.

besides havent the club said vickery is to be a kpf. the thing to ask is. if riewoldt goes down who else.
vickery has never ever looked like being a top line ruckman. and fair dinkum in all honesty while hes managed to kick goals some how hes actually poor in the role of kpf. we have a similar problem with griffiths.and most likely mcbean will be the same sort of okay at both roles but master of neither.

we need to look at our players properly and put them in the right categories. the categories or roles they actually are decent at and stop hoping they are something they arent or will become something they arent.

there are 6 groupings for tall players imo
rucks - ivan, hampson. clearly one ruckman short if not two.
ruck/fwd  - vickery, griffiths, mcbean. we dont need all three this is why it makes sense to trade one of them.
genuine fwds
kpfs - riewoldt, elton ????. dire trouble here reality atm is its only riewoldt. numbers say we need to get at  least two.
tall fwds - none. we dont have a gunston type we need to get  two.
kpds - rance, astbury. chaplin we need to get two especially if chaplin is not an answer.
tall def - , grimes, mcintosh . its adequate would really like to get another like grant birchall.

most people just plain refuse to acknowledge or just cant see the problems with the list as far as talls  go.we need to actually structure the list up properly and then fill the gaps.
when it comes to tall we just have not done this for as long as i can remember.for as long as i can remember we have never ever given ourselves a proper chance of building deep quality tall depth.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2014, 09:23:36 PM »

He's not a spud

your totally deluded at times judge. hampson is actually a better ruckman. he gives a better contest in the ruck. he just doesnt do anything else.
there is only one option if maric gets hurt and that is play hampson, its sad but true.

besides havent the club said vickery is to be a kpf. the thing to ask is. if riewoldt goes down who else.
vickery has never ever looked like being a top line ruckman. and fair dinkum in all honesty while hes managed to kick goals some how hes actually poor in the role of kpf. we have a similar problem with griffiths.and most likely mcbean will be the same sort of okay at both roles but master of neither.

we need to look at our players properly and put them in the right categories. the categories or roles they actually are decent at and stop hoping they are something they arent or will become something they arent.

there are 6 groupings for tall players imo
rucks - ivan, hampson. clearly one ruckman short if not two.
ruck/fwd  - vickery, griffiths, mcbean. we dont need all three this is why it makes sense to trade one of them.
genuine fwds
kpfs - riewoldt, elton ????. dire trouble here reality atm is its only riewoldt. numbers say we need to get at  least two.
tall fwds - none. we dont have a gunston type we need to get  two.
kpds - rance, astbury. chaplin we need to get two especially if chaplin is not an answer.
tall def - , grimes, mcintosh . its adequate would really like to get another like grant birchall.

most people just plain refuse to acknowledge or just cant see the problems with the list as far as talls  go.we need to actually structure the list up properly and then fill the gaps.
when it comes to tall we just have not done this for as long as i can remember.for as long as i can remember we have never ever given ourselves a proper chance of building deep quality tall depth.

Depends on your definition of what a ruckman a role is, these days it isn't just competing in the ruck and therefore by the modern definition of ruckman Hampson is a spud hands down and worse than Vickers and BBBG

Get out of the 80's FFS

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2014, 10:06:23 PM »

No.

You're spot on BT.

negative

what are your thoughts on Conca BT? Just interested as you dont seem to rate Ellis all that high
Ellis definitely improved this year after a really slow start but as I described above, he gets a lot of the footy but does nothing with it. Same as Grigg.
On Conca, I think he is ok. Not a first round draft pick by any stretch but I think everyone except FJ new that the year he got drafted. Would trade for any pick under 30 if was offered.
Question for you Angus, would you swap Ellis for pick 5 in this years draft?

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2014, 10:24:40 PM »

No.
One thing is for sure YBB, you and I see the game really differently. And that's ok.  :thumbsup
I'm interested in your thoughts, out of all the A graders in the AFL, who do you liken Ellis to? Now or in years to come?