Author Topic: Jayden Short [merged]  (Read 167081 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Jayden Short [merged]
« Reply #255 on: May 06, 2018, 12:36:44 PM »
A Short story of a self-taught Tiger

Jennifer Phelan
afl.com.au
May 6, 2018 11:30AM

THE SUBLIME kicking skills of Richmond defender Jayden Short have been 17 years in the making.

The sight of five-year-old Short and his father Greg kicking a football back and forth in the front garden of a house in the north-eastern suburbs of Melbourne was something their neighbours often saw. 

Short wasn't a fan of video games and didn't even really like being inside. If he wasn't kicking a ball outside their Mill Park home, he was brandishing a cricket bat.

TIGERS V DOCKERS PREVIEW: Remember how this finished last year?

It's this early devotion Short believes is responsible for the fact he's ranked 30th in the competition and second at the Tigers for kicking efficiency, which translates to 75.3 per cent.

It's also probably why one of his assistant coaches believes he has skills comparable to that of Brownlow medallist Jason Akermanis.

"Kicking is something you do every day, but I think it spurs back to when my dad had me in the front yard kicking left and right foot every day," Short told AFL.com.au this week.

"I'd do one left, one right, for hours on end until dinner was ready.

"It's all I wanted to do."

The former rookie is one of the Tigers' most improved this season.

He's played every game after a quiet performance in round 18 last year against Greater Western Sydney coincided with the return of fellow defender Bachar Houli from suspension.

He rode in the Grand Final parade as an emergency and watched the game from the stands, and then after recovering from a post-season shoulder reconstruction, set about making sure that doesn't happen again if the Tigers repeat their 2017 heroics.

Since then, he's found himself a home in the back six to the point where he's been picked before premiership players Nathan Broad and now Brandon Ellis so far this season.

His enthusiasm and vibrancy only complements the penetrating kick that has made him second to only Dustin Martin for metres gained at Richmond in six rounds.

He's also become a popular teammate in the space of three years.

"He brings a lot to the group apart from his amazing footy ability," forwards coach Justin Leppitsch said.

"I don't know a person who would say a bad word about him, to be perfectly honest."

Jayden Short is a popular clubman at Tigerland. Picture: AFL Photos

Short has won more of his own ball this season. His contested possession average has risen by three per game, and nearly 32 per cent of those have been won from a contest (compared to 18 per cent last year).

It was an area he knew he needed to improve in. In 2017, he won the fewest contested possessions of any backman to play at least 10 games.

"As a defender, I lock down on my man, but it's also about getting the ball in my own hands and not relying on others to get it for me," Short said.

"It's something I had to work on, trying to find it and get it as much as I can."

Short started at Richmond as a small forward, played in defence last year, and spent this pre-season with the midfielders.

But he loves the backline, and with his natural composure and sharp feet, it's a role that clearly loves him.

"I just try to make the most of my skills. I just don't want to kick the ball anywhere I don't want it to go," he said.

"I hate turning the ball over from the backline, it's the last thing you want to do as a backman."

Short finished high school and then worked as a carpenter for a year before he was rookied by the Tigers at the end of 2014.

He believes he'd still be doing that – and eating sausage rolls for lunch as part of the "tradie diet" - had he not got his AFL chance.

His 38 games are a meagre sample compared to Akermanis' 325, but Leppitsch can't help but be reminded of his fellow premiership Lion when he watches Short play.

"It might be a bit of a stretch because he's still got a long way to go, but he reminds me a little bit of him with the way he glides over the ground and can kick with his left and right foot," Leppitsch said.

"He's so clean at ground level, they've sort of got the same skill set. Now, they're not the same players, but he has as similar speed traits off the mark and ability with the ball as Aker that I've seen.

"I know it's a pretty big wrap, but he's got those skills so hopefully he can turn into half as good a player as Aker was."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-06/tigers-selftaught-talent-is-a-short-story

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Rising Tiger Short in for the long haul (afl site)
« Reply #256 on: May 07, 2018, 02:34:49 PM »
Rising Tiger Short in for the long haul

Jennifer Phelan
afl.com.au
May 7, 2018

RICHMOND'S Jayden Short is the latest soon-to-be out of contract Tiger yet to open talks with the premiers, but the defender has no desire to be anywhere else after an impressive start to the season.

Short, 22, inked his last contract in October 2016 when he was officially elevated off the rookie list.

He played 16 games last year but didn't get back into the side after being dropped for round 19 and was an emergency for the Tigers' Grand Final win over Adelaide.

That omission pushed Short to take his game to another level over the summer, and he's already shown improvements with his contested work and intercepting so far this season.

"There is a bit of a drive in me to not want to lose my spot in that situation again," Short told AFL.com.au this week.

"It was hard to miss out last year, but that happens in the sport we play.

"I just wanted to make sure if that does happen, if we're there again or I find myself in that position, I've done the best I can and played as well as I could."

Short has played every game this year and has become an important part of the Tigers' backline with his foot skills and penetration on both sides.

The popular former carpenter isn't losing sleep over the fact official negotiations between his management and the club haven't begun.

"I haven't really thought about it, to be honest," he said.

"I'm just trying to hold my spot and play some good footy and I think the rest will work itself out.

"It's a great club and all us boys are getting along.

"It's like a brotherhood; we love each other and want to spend as much time as we can together."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-07/rising-tiger-short-in-for-the-long-haul#/

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #257 on: May 28, 2018, 08:20:22 PM »
How good is this kid!

His kicking is a real weapon but every week he plays he is getting more confident.

The find of the year to date IMO.

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #258 on: May 28, 2018, 09:04:55 PM »
Totally agree. Does not panic either under pressure.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #259 on: May 28, 2018, 09:07:01 PM »
One of the very few in the team that is a true dual sided player. :clapping
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #260 on: May 28, 2018, 10:23:53 PM »
Totally agree. Does not panic either under pressure.

Yeah, he is pretty cool in the way he goes about it. Rock solid.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #261 on: May 28, 2018, 10:34:48 PM »
Sam Mitchell like laser beam kicks except unlike Mitchell can roost a ball >50m

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #262 on: May 29, 2018, 12:57:57 PM »
Short is in the top 10 most improved players in the AFL according to Champion Data.

Source: Glenn Luff on SEN.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #263 on: May 29, 2018, 12:59:49 PM »
Our next Norm Smith medalist.... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #264 on: June 02, 2018, 10:15:58 PM »
Our next Norm Smith medalist.... :shh

If he continues like this he could well be :cheers

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #265 on: June 02, 2018, 11:29:58 PM »
Playing beautiful, composed footy ATM
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Lebowski

« Reply #266 on: June 02, 2018, 11:46:29 PM »
Playing beautiful, composed footy ATM

With a harder edge   :thumbsup  Really happy to see shorty lifting his game, his defensive side has improved a lot and I love the way hes one grabbing it and taking off creating space and run. Big improver

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #267 on: June 03, 2018, 12:12:25 AM »
Shorty would be in the running for a top 5 spot in our B&F so far this year. Another good game tonight.

28 disposals (22k, 6h ; 6c, 20u) @ 71.4%
6 marks
9 rebound 50s
3 inside 50s
2 tackles
1 centre clearance.

http://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2018/11/ess-v-rich

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #268 on: June 03, 2018, 06:48:47 PM »
Just watching the replay again, watch the grab about 2 minutes into the game on our half forwardline. That’s as good as you will see under pressure.
This kid is a star.
Really happy for him..... and us!

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #269 on: June 03, 2018, 07:09:23 PM »
Playing really solid footy at the moment.

Wrapped for the boy.

Go Tiges!