Author Topic: Jayden Short [merged]  (Read 167125 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Jayden Short signs new two-year contract [update]
« Reply #375 on: August 02, 2018, 02:01:42 PM »
Most consecutive games with 500+ metres gained:

9: Jayden Short

4: Lachie Whitfield, James Sicily
3: Heath Shaw, Jared Polec
2: Jake Lloyd, Tom Mitchell, Jade Gresham, Matt Suckling

https://twitter.com/ethan_meldrum/status/1024845874537455616

He's ranked first at the Tigers this year for both uncontested possessions and rebound-50s, fourth for disposals and fifth for inside-50s.

https://twitter.com/RonnyLerner/status/1024840221811077120

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #376 on: August 02, 2018, 02:09:22 PM »
What a leg this guy has. Absolute jet

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #377 on: August 02, 2018, 02:35:20 PM »
Fantastic news . We are living in an era of a new Tiger dynasty.
Unleash the tornado

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #378 on: August 02, 2018, 05:42:13 PM »
Jackstar wrong again. :shh
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #379 on: August 02, 2018, 06:13:26 PM »
 :shh :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #380 on: August 02, 2018, 07:37:28 PM »
Great news.

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #381 on: August 02, 2018, 08:03:51 PM »
 :cheers absolute gun this kid!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
How young Tiger Jayden Short mastered the art of kicking (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #382 on: August 03, 2018, 10:35:50 AM »
How young Tiger Jayden Short mastered the art of kicking

Chris Cavanagh,
Herald Sun
August 3, 2018

JAYDEN Short has never been much of a handballer.

On the street outside the family home in Mill Park as a youngster with father Greg it was always his kick that he was working on.

“I always begged dad to come out the front with me and have kick-to-kick on the street and I never really handballed because we were standing too far away,” Short said.

“It was always one left kick, one right kick and over the years it became natural.”

Those skills formed at a young age are quickly helping Short — who today joined a growing list of Tigers to extend their contracts, putting pen to paper on a new two-year deal which ties him to the club until the end of 2020 — build a reputation as one of the best long kicks in the AFL.

Last weekend against Collingwood the defender floated forward to boot two goals in 90 seconds on the run from 55m after receiving handballs from teammates who had marked beyond their range.

The handball to an unmarked Short outside 50 has in fact proven a successful play for the Tigers on five occasions this year, so should have proven no surprise to the Magpies on the first occasion let alone the second.

Short Stat
Average disposals       20.3   Above average
Average kicks           15.3   Above average
Average handballs        5.1   Average
Kicking efficiency      74.5%   Above average
Average I50s             3.4   Elite
Average metres gained   527.3   Elite

“I don’t think they didn’t mean to man me up, it was just a little bit confusing. I tried to hide behind someone and got a little bit lucky,” Short said.

“It’s not a play I practice, I just know I can kick that far and if I think someone’s too far out and they won’t make the distance I hope that they’ll give me the handball but if I don’t get it I’m happy for them to have the shot as well.

“Probably until I miss one they’ll keep handballing to me.”

A 2015 rookie draft selection, Short has played every game this season and last weekend notched his 50th AFL match.

It has been the dream season that the 22-year-old had hoped for after narrowly missing out on success not once but twice in 2017.

After playing 16 consecutive games until Round 18 last year, Short found himself dropped to the VFL and was unable to break back into the senior team.

That meant he played in the VFL Grand Final which Richmond lost by four points to Port Melbourne and six days later sat in the stands at the MCG as an emergency watching on as the Tigers broke a 37-year premiership drought.

“It was tough looking back at it,” Short said.

“I was part of the parade and all that sort of stuff and obviously didn’t get to run out there with all the boys.

“I was down in the rooms before the game and then chucked the suit back on and went up into the stands and watch the boys do their thing.

“It was just something that happened, you can only play 22 and I was one of the unlucky ones that missed out. But it was terrific to see the boys win.”

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick last week described Short as “one of the most improved players in the AFL” while he has also come into All-Australian squad discussion by some commentators having averaged 20.3 disposals and an league-high 527 metres gained.

However, after last years’ experience Short knows he needs to keep producing if he wants to be on the big stage this September with competition for spots in the Tigers side again red-hot.

“I didn’t come here to play in the VFL,” he said.

“I always had aspirations to be a regular senior player and obviously it took some time and there were a lot of things I needed to work on but I set myself a target over the off season to put my hand up as much as I could and hopefully stay in the team as long as I can.

“Playing finals would be a good result but we’ve got four games left and we want to put ourselves in the best position we can so I’ll just concentrate on these four games and then see how we go from there.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/how-young-tiger-jayden-short-mastered-the-art-of-kicking/news-story/99cf55790891eb0b63a1191abef9b78c

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
'Metres-gained king' never feels safe in side (afl site)
« Reply #383 on: September 07, 2018, 04:33:57 PM »
'Metres-gained king' never feels safe in side

Marc McGowan
afl.com.au
Sep 7, 2018 9:01AM

RESURGENT Tiger Jayden Short refuses to feel safe in the reigning premiers' senior side as he inches towards redemption after last year's heartbreak of missing out.

The 22-year-old former carpenter made his finals debut in Richmond's dominant 31-point dismissal of Hawthorn at the MCG on Thursday night.

It was barely 12 months ago that Short, after playing 16 straight matches, lost his spot to fellow defender Bachar Houli – and he never muscled his way back in.

Brandon Ellis might be that player this year, with Kane Lambert's return from an ankle injury for the qualifying final bumping the premiership-winning backman into the VFL.

Short was part of the 2017 Grand Final parade as an emergency and watched some of his closest friends, including housemate Lambert, end the Tigers' 37-year flag drought.

"It was obviously hard not being there," Short told AFL.com.au in Richmond's euphoric rooms after the win over the Hawks.

"There were parts of my game I needed to improve and I set myself for the pre-season to improve those things.

"I wanted to play AFL football – I didn't come here to play VFL – so I set myself a task to play in the senior team and I've done it this year."

Among the areas Short needed to work on, and did, were his fitness, winning more of his own football, his consistency within games and backing his strengths more.

There is no bigger weapon in his arsenal than his trusty right boot, which has helped him comfortably lead the AFL in both metres gained and effective metres gained this season.

Short was back at it again on Thursday night, racking up 376 of his 537 metres gained in the opening half when Hawthorn challenged the Tigers most.

"It's something the boys have a joke about," he said of his status as the competition's metres-gained king.

"But I might need to start lowering my eyes a little. I don't mind kicking the ball, so I kick it when I can – I don't really like handballing."

Coach Damien Hardwick did not hide his satisfaction post-game at Short being able to feature in a finals triumph after all he went through last year.

"There are always stories about players who could quite easily play, and Jayden was one of those guys. I think he played 16 games last year and misses out," Hardwick said.

"That's the disappointing thing about our game. We want to reward every player, and we did that last year with guys who played one game or whatever it was.

"It is pleasing that he's really taken his chance this year. He's been such a pivotal player for us; the way he wins the ball and uses the ball is so highly regarded."

Short plans to be in Port Melbourne on Saturday to watch Richmond's VFL side face Essendon, where Ellis and others will have the chance to audition for an AFL preliminary final place.

"It's an industry you never really feel safe in," he said.

"You watch our VFL team; there's another 20 blokes putting their hands up to play in the AFL team, so us 22 (in the seniors) need to show up every week and put our best foot forward.

"Our VFL boys are kicking the door down and they want to be here as well."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-09-07/metresgained-king-never-feels-safe-in-side

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
A (Jayden) Short wait for a shot at flag redemption (Age)
« Reply #384 on: September 15, 2018, 10:16:30 PM »
A (Jayden) Short wait for a shot at flag redemption

Anthony Colangelo
The Age
16 Sept. 2018

By the time grand final day rolled around Jayden Short had long moved past heartache.

He played from round two to 18 in Richmond's 2017 premiership season but didn't feature again after being dropped before round 19. He was desperately unlucky to miss a flag.

Bachar Houli came into the side for Short, the senior defender having served a four-game suspension for striking, with Brandon Ellis remaining as the Tigers' other rebounding half-back.

Asked if there was a moment on grand final day that he remembered hurting him the most – the 22-year-old was an emergency and warmed up with the team before putting on his suit and watching the Tigers beat Adelaide from the stands – Short said there wasn't, because he'd come to terms with his unfortunate predicament long before the big day.

That moment of acceptance was when he was dropped. Short knew he'd struggle to get back into the side, and he knew his teammates were onto something special.

"It was when I found myself out of the team and I saw the boys doing so well," Short told the Sunday Age. "They were tracking towards the final game and it was a great team that was hard to get yourself back into so I knew from that point on there was hard work to be done.

"I knew I had to improve, you know as a player when you need to do that so it was clear. Things needed to change. We had Bachar come in and he is a 200-game player, unbelievable backman. 'Dimma' [coach Damien Hardwick] sat me down and we spoke on where I could grow and he pinpointed areas to work on and I completely understood where he was coming from and why I was out of the team. That helped me so much, rather than leaving me in the lurch."

There are no demons lurking because of his miss. He's even watched a replay of the grand final twice at home and holds only positive memories of the day.

"It was great viewing ... it certainly motivated me," he said.

From there, Short attacked the 2018 pre-season. He had shoulder surgery and then made a point of following his housemate Kane Lambert everywhere he could and in everything he did to prepare for the club's back-to-back flag tilt. Short knew where he had to improve because Hardwick had been so clear with him. His goal the season before was to play every game, and he didn't, so it was his goal again in 2018.

"The consistency in my game, staying involved in games for longer had to get better," Short said. "Winning my own ball, a bit more fitness too.

"It was just having a bit of belief in myself. I did believe I was good enough but I probably didn't show it enough in games. I had to be more confident in games and know I was good enough.

"It was a little bit of getting my own contested ball too and doing it from there rather than waiting for other people to get it to me. You get more confident with it the more games you play; I am not the biggest guy but it is something I knew I could do."

This year the tables have turned. Ellis is the one who finds himself out of the side, dropped for the qualifying final win over Hawthorn. Short's season has been too good. He has been widely named by pundits as one of, if not, the most improved player in the competition.

The penetration and accuracy of his kicking is his most dangerous weapon. It was that particular skill set that led to him being trialled on the half-back line after he entered the AFL as a small forward.

"I was all for the switch to defence," he said. "Dimma said he wanted me at half-back and I believe in my kick and my skills so I thought, 'Geez, playing there I might be able to showcase my skills a bit more' and I went down there and played my natural game."

His 2018 statistics speak for themselves. The No.11 pick in the 2015 rookie draft ranks second in the AFL for effective long kicks behind Sydney's Jake Lloyd, and second for total effective kicks.

He also ranks first at Richmond for effective kicks, uncontested possessions, handball receives and rebound 50s. The defensive side of his game has been boosted this year too.

The Northern Knights product hasn't taken the time to reflect on his stellar season just yet, but said he has noticed the media praise coming his way and has used it, along with internal validation from his teammates, to keep his tail up.

"I have seen a few articles and stuff like that," Short said. "I try and embrace it as much as I can. I want to hear those things, when people say nice things about you. When I do see an article like that I will definitely read it but I don't seek it out. It is always good to hear people saying nice things, they're good to read when they're out there."

While there are no shortage of players in Richmond's formidable line-up to tag it is quite remarkable that Short is yet to garner such attention.

"I guess I am hoping it doesn't happen," he laughed. "I played as a defensive forward a bit myself in my first year, and now I am hoping no one will come to me. It hasn't happened yet, it's a bit harder to tag a half-back who just runs around and tries to get as much ball as they can.

"I have spoken to teammates about what I could do if it happened and it's just about playing to my strengths and keep working to as many contests that I can get to and hoping to still get my hands on the ball, that would obviously hurt a tagger but it isn't something I have put too much thought into. I just worry about getting out there and having as much fun as I can, and doing what I can for the team."

Short's first final was the qualifying final win over Hawthorn. The Tigers proved their doubters wrong – some believed they might have slowed – and demolished Alastair Clarkson's side.

"You hear that the pressure ramps up for finals and I sort of thought I should be fine but my first few possessions were a bit rushed and I felt a little bit pressured," he said. "Once the game went on I got more comfortable and I played my natural game and I wasn't worried about it being a final. I stuck to what I know and what I do."

https://www.watoday.com.au/sport/afl/a-jayden-short-wait-for-a-shot-at-flag-redemption-20180914-p503uc.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Jayden Short [merged]
« Reply #385 on: January 04, 2019, 01:01:25 PM »
The AFL website has ranked Short as having the second best breakout season of 2018.

2. Jayden Short (Richmond)

One of the hard-luck stories of Richmond's premiership season in 2017, Short became the Tigers' go-to user off half-back. Playing 16 consecutive games in a variety of roles before he was dumped after round 18, Short was unlucky not to be named in the All Australian squad of 40 in 2018. His disposal count rose from 14.8 to 20 per match, his booming kick taking him from 366 metres gained to 527 per match, the most in the competition.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-01-04/the-top-10-players-who-had-breakout-seasons-in-2018

Offline yandb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #386 on: January 05, 2019, 02:59:37 PM »
He needed shoulder surgery in late 2017 (one of the reasons he was dropped)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #387 on: January 17, 2019, 05:03:37 PM »
Shorty should see his disposal stats go through the roof this year. He had 105 kick-ins in 2018 and 16.2% to himself.

PLAYERS will be awarded a disposal when they completely step out of the goal square from a kick-in or handball the ball to a teammate from the square, Champion Data has advised.

Champion Data finalised its official ruling around the new kick-in rule on Thursday and as per previous seasons there will no disposal given when a player kicks-in while clearly still in the square.

The changes come after the AFL rule instituted this season, which states that players will be allowed to run out of the goal square without having to kick the ball to themselves.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2019-01-17/Copy%20of%20Champion%20Data%20clarifies%20disposal%20stats%20for%20kick-ins

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #388 on: March 15, 2019, 02:09:52 AM »
Konrad Marshall sat down with talented small defender Jayden Short earlier this month to kick-off a new series of long-form features on current Tigers by the author of Yellow & Black - A Season with Richmond.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2019-03-14/roar-features-jayden-short-part-1.mobileapp

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #389 on: March 15, 2019, 02:21:34 AM »
Short stepper #panickylongkickstonodbody #evensofterthanHouli :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.