Author Topic: Kane Lambert retires [merged]  (Read 159924 times)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
Re: Kane Lambert retires [update]
« Reply #735 on: July 25, 2022, 07:10:56 PM »
Happy to get caught up in the emotion of it all and say in our finals he was 'equally' as important as Dusty.

I'm not crying you're crying.
Go Tigers!

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #736 on: July 25, 2022, 07:15:22 PM »
Everyone go out of their way and check out his retirement speech. Every bit as impressive as you’d expect.  :cheers

Broadsword

« Reply #737 on: July 25, 2022, 07:21:49 PM »
If anything, the last couple of years when he was injured demonstrated just how important he was to our side. A quiet achiever. Thanks for everything Lambo, best of luck, and good health. :)

Congrats on an amazing career! :cheers

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #738 on: July 25, 2022, 07:42:17 PM »
Amazing speech. Dimma wanting him to be inside our 4 walls gives me hope he stays at the club in some role. Ive never seen Dimma that emotional. On the verge of tears and he was holding it back. Kane's getting all the plaudits. He deserves them.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #739 on: July 25, 2022, 07:51:53 PM »
Agree Ramps was very emotional. And rightly so. Lambert is our dynasty. Hardwicks legacy. Our success revolves around the time Lambert impacted the club. Dimma even mentioned it at the end, Lambert being drafted ignited change. I think Dimma getting emotional had a fair bit to do with Lambert being probably his greatest success.

Our win loss ratio when he is playing vs not is incredible. He was incredibly important to our success.
Go Tigers!

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #740 on: July 25, 2022, 07:54:26 PM »
Players like Dusty win you a Grand Finals but it’s players like Lambdax3 who made sure we got there
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #741 on: July 25, 2022, 08:20:20 PM »
Was one of my favourites  when he first played I thought nothing more then a role player how wrong I was and one thing he is a big game player love the occasions and you knew when he was in the guts we were a big chance.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #742 on: July 25, 2022, 08:23:56 PM »
Kane Lambert has been extremely under rated , his leadership has been incredible as the run in waves was usually started by him and has been one of our trademarks this decade
He will missed for what he does off the field as he did on the field , courage through gut running, leadership with respect for others, a never give up attitude

He will be missed if he goes and has been one of the best draft picks we have ever had.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #743 on: July 25, 2022, 11:54:16 PM »
A simple way to pay tribute to how good Kane Lambert was as a footballer and his importance to Richmond is this stat:

2022 when Kane played:  7 wins 0 losses
2022 when he missed:     2 wins 8 losses 1 draw

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #744 on: July 26, 2022, 09:30:36 AM »
Gez credit to him he said he couldn't even cut his nails or tie his shoe lace or even struggled to get out of a car.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #745 on: July 26, 2022, 09:44:54 AM »
Listening to his speech to his teammates and the Club plus his presser you can't help but think he would have made a bloody brilliant captain

Had me thinking if things had of been different with regard to his fitness and the hip injury whether he'd be our captain in 2023 🤔
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #746 on: July 26, 2022, 09:56:09 AM »
Gez credit to him he said he couldn't even cut his nails or tie his shoe lace or even struggled to get out of a car.

A few ex-footballers I know have the same issue.

However it is due to the beer gut.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #747 on: July 26, 2022, 11:32:44 AM »

A few ex-footballers I know have the same issue.

However it is due to the beer gut.

My wife is related to Paul van der Haar and gee he struggles but it's a combination of bad back AND beer gut haha.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #748 on: July 26, 2022, 11:57:37 AM »
“IT’S NOT GREAT”: LAMBERT REVEALS CONDITION OF DETERIORATING HIP INJURY

By Andrew Slevison
SEN
26 July 2022

Kane Lambert has revealed the condition of his hip has deteriorated so much that he struggles to put on shoes and socks.

The Richmond triple premiership player announced his retirement from the game on Monday afternoon after struggling with the issue for the last few years.

Lambert, 30, says simple daily tasks have become challenging for him let alone playing footy at the highest level.

He provided some insight when addressing the media following his announcement.

“I’ve probably been a little bit scared to find that out, to be honest,” he said when asked just how bad it is.

“I’ve got osteoarthritis, it’s a lot of bone on bone in that hip so it’s not great.

“Day to day things like putting socks and shoes on, I don’t tie my shoe laces, can’t cut my toenails, getting in and out of cars is a challenge.

“It’s probably more emotionally and mentally exhausting than physically.”

The 135-game midfielder/forward is bracing to have the hip replaced one day.

“Whether that’s in the short term, I’d like to have a bit of a breather, let it settle and see what it looks like,” he said.

“Hopefully there’s alternative methods and medical advancements.

“But I think the long term at some point I will have the hip replaced.”

Lambert, who was selected by the Tigers in the 2015 rookie draft, is satisfied that he did everything in his power to continue playing.

He made an oath to coach Damien Hardwick that he would leave no stone unturned, however, came to the conclusion that it was the right decision to call time on his career

“It’s been a long time coming, to be fair,” Lambert added.

“I approached this year a bit uncertain whether or not I would play again. The last three or four years have been challenging.

“Something felt different about my hip, the way it was, this year. I remember pre-season trying to train and watching the boys go about their business and thinking, ‘I don’t know if I can do that anymore’.

“I made a commitment with ‘Dimma’ that I was up for the fight and the challenge to do everything I possibly could. To explore all sorts of methods in order to get me out and play.

“I was only ever going to play if I felt that I could help and I could contribute. Now I’ve got to this point where I’m not at a level that I feel comfortable contributing at AFL level and I don’t think it’s fair to put myself out there with the boys not being able to help the way I’d like to.

“It’s been a real challenge, but it’s the right time for me and right time for the group.

“I feel comfortable and at peace that I’ve done all I can to perform and I’m no longer at that stage where I can.”

Lambert managed just seven games this season and 13 last year having featured prominently in Richmond’s three premierships in 2017, 2019 and 2020.

The former VFL star finished third in the best and fairest in the drought-breaking premiership year of 2017 and second in 2018 when the Tigers made the Preliminary Final.

He has an interest in coaching and football administration and will remain with the Tigers in an off-field role at least for the rest of 2022.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/07/25/its-not-great-lambert-reveals-condition-of-deteriorating-hip-injury/

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #749 on: July 30, 2022, 03:12:34 PM »
Finally got around to watching that farewell speech.

How good. I hope he isnt lost to us.

Champion player and bloke.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.