Author Topic: Reece Conca admits hit on Devon Smith ‘wasn’t my greatest moment’ (H-Sun)  (Read 6949 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Reece Conca admits hit on Devon Smith ‘wasn’t my greatest moment’
Sam Edmund
Herald-Sun
December 06, 2014

BROKEN ankle, three stress reactions, hip surgery, groin issues and a ripped hamstring tendon.

That’s the list of problems Reece Conca has had to deal with in his first four years as an AFL player.

Throw in the biggest problem of all — the behind-the-play hit on Giant Devon Smith — and you start to understand why things haven’t all gone according to plan for Richmond’s 2010 No.6 draft pick.

But after the most tumultuous season of his young career, Conca has wiped the slate clean. Fit and motivated and ready to turn promise into performance, the midfielder is relishing the prospect of delivering in 2015.

“Next year I’m hoping to make some big strides in my football with my first full pre-season,” Conca told the Herald Sun from the Tigers’ Townsville training camp.

“Last season is behind me now and I’m just looking forward to the next one and improving and hopefully getting some more wins for the team. There’s always room for improvement, especially for me, in all aspects of footy.”

Conca’s roller-coaster 2014 found its low point in the Round 19 meeting with GWS. Boiling with rage, he chased an unsuspecting Smith to the boundary where he thrust a forearm into the back of his head.

He copped a two-match suspension, but everyone from AFL boss Gillon McLachlan to boxing champion Danny Green slammed the incident.

Conca believes he has a pretty thick skin and avoids most of the footy media chatter, but he admitted the reaction took its toll.

“Initially it was pretty confronting,” Conca said. “It wasn’t my greatest moment, but I didn’t think about it too much afterwards and I just tried to move on and get back to training. I’ve copped my punishment and that’s behind me now.

“I’ll continue to play tough football, but obviously fair football. I’m certain an incident like that won’t happen again.”

Conca is also hoping the injury curse doesn’t strike again and he can finally prepare for an AFL season without the nasty setbacks.

“The (injury) list is growing, unfortunately, at such a young age, but hopefully it’s all behind me now,” he said.

“I was a little inconsistent last season and not having any training done before Christmas last year and having interrupted pre-seasons prior to that has hurt me a bit. It’s one of those things I’ve never really had the benefit of.

“But at this stage I’m running well and feeling fitter than ever, so I’ve just got to stay healthy, which is the focus now.”

Conca is contracted to the Tigers until the end of 2016, and if words mean anything, his commitment will eventually stretch beyond that.

Fremantle inquired about him during trade talks, but no move got off the ground. Conca, for his part, isn’t thinking about returning home to Perth.

“No, not at all to be honest. I’m loving Richmond and that’s why I committed to the three years because I don’t intend to go anywhere anytime soon,” he said.

“I love Perth, I love home and I’m sure at some stage I’ll get back there, but I’ve been gone a while now. Calling Perth home is a bit behind me. At this stage Melbourne is my home and Richmond is my home and I’m loving it.”

He said Richmond’s back-to-back elimination final losses — the most recent a 57-point humiliation at the hands of Port Adelaide — would be educational rather than mentally scarring.

“Last year will hold us in good stead, especially the back end of that season. People seem to forget the nine games we won prior to that final and you’re going to have your off days,” Conca said.

“Next season we’ve got to strive for finals again and make sure we’re better prepared for those big games. We’ve proven we can play good footy during the year and get to finals, but now we have to prove we’re better than that and ruffle a few feathers in September.”

http://www.news.com.au/national/reece-conca-admits-hit-on-devon-smith-wasnt-my-greatest-moment/story-e6frfkp9-1227146007095

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
"...People seem to forget the nine games we won prior to that final and you’re going to have your off days,” Conca said.

Mostly fluff but this bit irks me. What about the rest of the games before the 9 wins? Are you just choosing to ignore the fact it was a horrible start to the season?

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
"...People seem to forget the nine games we won prior to that final and you’re going to have your off days,” Conca said.

Mostly fluff but this bit irks me. What about the rest of the games before the 9 wins? Are you just choosing to ignore the fact it was a horrible start to the season?

I'm guessing he was asked about the elimination final disaster and he was using the 9 wins to balance the poor loss with what they had been capable of doing prior to that abomination.
I'm sure if we was asked about the entire season the first half would've come up.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
stuff this loser idiot
Caracella and Balmey.

Gigantor

wish he could hit a target with the pill like he did that opposition player

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Slow dud who can't even kick

Nice recruit tigers
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Slow dud who can't even kick

Nice recruit tigers
He is not slow. He has been unfit though because of injury.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Gigantor

My problem with Reece is not so much with his pace its more with his ability to think....He makes absolutely horrible decisions out on the park

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
How many matches at Subiaco we playing this year? Let's hope he at least has blinders in them.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 03:09:11 PM by Diocletian »
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
His name is Devin. I would've punched him in the head too
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Gigantor

Phil..why?

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Phil..why?
He lifted up Reece's jumper and showed the whole world his puppy fat! ;D
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
Actions is the best way to silence the critics.

Online Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
I'm happy to back Reece, not having a single per season since he started hurts big time, lets not forget Cotchin was in the same boat only a few years ago an in intetupted per season will go along way seeing him improve out of site this season. Whoa :shh

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Cotch was a jet with his injury but

That said, I do like Mr. Fatty, fatty. Fat. Fat.