Author Topic: Dimma vs Ken Hinkley  (Read 18844 times)

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
Dimma vs Ken Hinkley
« on: February 24, 2015, 09:16:10 AM »
37 Days - 10 hours and counting to go, here is something pointless to provide you with a 5 second diversion.
As trite as it may seem, Dimma is likely to either be a hero or goat by the end of this year. 2 finals wins is a pass mark. If this doesn't happen then maybe this topic, with different coaches to consider, will be quite pertinent.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Dimma vs Ken Hinkley
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 09:26:36 AM »
As trite as it may seem, Dimma is likely to either be a hero or goat by the end of this year.

Dimma G.O.A.T.

Seriously this is a complete hypothetical. No one has a clue how things would have turned out if we got Hinkley.

Offline crannyvegas

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 11:18:57 AM »
As trite as it may seem, Dimma is likely to either be a hero or goat by the end of this year.

Dimma G.O.A.T.

Seriously this is a complete hypothetical. No one has a clue how things would have turned out if we got Hinkley.

Greatest of All Time? Hasn't even won a final yet...

I remember seeing Ken's 3 quarter time address when he was coaching some suburban team, won me over instantly. In saying that I think Dimma was right for us at the time. We were bereft of culture & standards. 
Detka! Detka! Detka!

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 11:57:07 AM »
I think Hinkley's a superior coach for a number of reasons...though no small part of his success with Port is due to Darren Burgess and if we'd got him 2010, I doubt he would've been able to get Burgess before 2013, if at all, considering his wife wanting live in Adelaide was the determining factor in him going to Port.

So would've been interesting  to see how Hinkley would've gone cleaning out & building on our 2009 list and then coaching it with an inferior fitness staff.

EDIT: Sorry didn't see the poll question just read the title & OP....in the last two years.....yeah probably would've done better because he's better tactician with higher standards IMO.....but again....would he have had Burgess and if not, how well would he have done without him?
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 02:16:20 PM »
I think Hinkley's a superior coach for a number of reasons...though no small part of his success with Port is due to Darren Burgess and if we'd got him 2010, I doubt he would've been able to get Burgess before 2013, if at all, considering his wife wanting live in Adelaide was the determining factor in him going to Port.

So would've been interesting  to see how Hinkley would've gone cleaning out & building on our 2009 list and then coaching it with an inferior fitness staff.

EDIT: Sorry didn't see the poll question just read the title & OP....in the last two years.....yeah probably would've done better because he's better tactician with higher standards IMO.....but again....would he have had Burgess and if not, how well would he have done without him?
Interesting, Hinkley and Burgess would have been a great base, Still its in the never never land and all pure supposition.
Hinkley's getting some airplay today. Never go against the family!!

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 03:48:45 PM »
Crucial year for Dimma. He needs to win a final or move on, and I think he knows that.
Agree with the sentiment that he was a good choice for where we were at, but if the time comes to part ways then I think our next coach should be a hard bastard with some tactical nouse - a 'finals' coach if you like.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 03:50:47 PM »
We would be a very attractive proposition for a coach now, given our sound off-field position, our 'big club' prestige and a list that is at worst mediocre.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 09:54:58 PM »
Crucial year for Dimma. He needs to win a final or move on, and I think he knows that.
Agree with the sentiment that he was a good choice for where we were at, but if the time comes to part ways then I think our next coach should be a hard bastard with some tactical nouse - a 'finals' coach if you like.
Wallace? :lol
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 11:10:44 PM »
Wallace? :lol

If Spud is unavailable then yes.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 07:55:32 AM »

I'm thinking he's signed up until end of next year?
Getting into finals again and sacking him with a year to go on his contract sounds like something St. Kilda would do.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 10:24:09 AM »

I'm thinking he's signed up until end of next year?
Getting into finals again and sacking him with a year to go on his contract sounds like something St. Kilda would do.

Is he? I thought it was until the end of this year.
Frankly, if he fails in finals again this year then he would have had a fair crack and its time to move on.

No More

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 11:31:06 PM »
hardwick aint getting sacked anytime soon lads. theyre not gonna sack a black who has taken Richmond to finals like hardwick.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 02:35:00 AM »

even if they somehow won a final, he still needs to move on.
Move away.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Tigers of Old

• Premiership Captain
  • @Tigers_of_Old
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 09:00:10 AM »

Move away.

Why?
He would be the first Richmond coach in since forever to take Richmond to the finals 3 years in a row plus win a final.
I understand that expectations have risen but it's no mean feat what Hardwick has been able to achieve as coach so far at a historical basket case of a club.
I think our window is open for the next few years but unless there's a glaringly better coaching option available (who would you suggest?) then I can't see that changing the coach right now would automatically guarantee a better result.
Happy to be proven wrong but could it just be a case of the grass being greener because expectations have risen given we have finally, FINALLY started to improve as a club.

That said it's a huge year for Hardwick no doubt. We do need to keep going forward.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2015, 09:57:47 AM »

Move away.

Why?
He would be the first Richmond coach in since forever to take Richmond to the finals 3 years in a row plus win a final.
I understand that expectations have risen but it's no mean feat what Hardwick has been able to achieve as coach so far at a historical basket case of a club.
I think our window is open for the next few years but unless there's a glaringly better coaching option available (who would you suggest?) then I can't see that changing the coach right now would automatically guarantee a better result.
Happy to be proven wrong but could it just be a case of the grass being greener because expectations have risen given we have finally, FINALLY started to improve as a club.

That said it's a huge year for Hardwick no doubt. We do need to keep going forward.

I think what he is saying is that if we win a final it wont be a win in a real final

And no I can't explain any further