Author Topic: Three reasons why our 2015 'pass mark' is a furphy  (Read 1595 times)

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
Three reasons why our 2015 'pass mark' is a furphy
« on: March 09, 2015, 06:33:12 PM »
Three reasons why our season 'pass mark' is a furphy.

1) it's too easily attainable. 12 wins out of 22, mediocre percentage plus being on our game for one game in September against potentially West Coast/Adelaide/GoldCoast. Is this really the best we can hope for?

2) it doesn't mean anything if we don't pass (I.e. Fail). What happens if the club doesn't meet its pass mark? Nothing. I'd go so far as to say even if we miss finals and finish as low as 12th on 9-10 wins, any pressure brought onto bare would be unlikely, but if it does occur, is a reasonably easy PR spin away from being quashed. Remember the 'we are a better side than last year' comment by Hardwick when we were 3 and 9? No doubt, to Hardwick and footy dept staff will keep their jobs under the above scenario. Failure is an option.

3) leading on from point 2, when failure is a possible option, success only becomes a preference rather than the only option itself. The threat of failure has no teeth.

Most clubs exist to win premierships. Do we? if we have been simply unlucky with injuries and finals performances, why aren't we aspiring to a top 4 finish?

The bar has been set low, with the get out clause available if required. And so, the aspirations of the club are PRIMARILY to keep those within the club safe, with any real success of SECONDARY importance.

"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Gigantor

Re: Three reasons why our 2015 'pass mark' is a furphy
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 06:51:46 PM »
I don't think the bar has been set low at all.Every team I have ever belonged  to, the goal has always been the ultimate prize.I am sure that within the group the goal is just that..the ultimate prize.
The club knows that support is probably at a tipping point ,that if solid success doesn't ensue supporters wont buy this blue print for too much longer....The heat is on both internally and externally I would imagine

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 06:56:51 PM »
The club is probably internally aiming for top 4 and a prelim as a minimum. Meanwhile at Port, they're aiming for a premiership.

Why not aim for a premiership? That should be the aim, anything else, a failure.
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Gigantor

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 07:00:35 PM »
Mrakov bet if you told the playing group especially Morro maric or Jack that top 4 is their goal, they would nail you to the punt road bridge

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 07:25:48 PM »
Need to have a win loss ratio similar to 2013 and make a prelim for me.

Two years in finals is nice but we have been humbled both years.

Need to win a final or finals to get there no excuses,.

No capitulations if you go down leave everything on the field doing so.

Enough excuses have been bandied. Time for action. Show us what/if you have learnt from the

experiences of the last two seasons.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 07:32:07 PM »
I think it's a furphy because even if we fail they will say we are a better side than last year and therefore a poor season should be regarded as a pass regardless of wins

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 07:53:07 PM »
Mrakov bet if you told the playing group especially Morro maric or Jack that top 4 is their goal, they would nail you to the punt road bridge
Yeah cos their goal is to finish 8th and lose another rlimination final
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 08:52:44 PM »
Doesn't furphy captain the blooz? :help
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 10:06:16 PM »
Dooks point 2 and Dons post are :thumbsup for me.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 10:39:25 PM »
Look we are in a constant process of finding more and developing more skilled players but so is the rest of the comp.  We are clearly getting better than say the wallace years. What really matters us we bring on classy kids and improve the ones we have. If we finish the dreaded 9th but the kids improve then its good.

Youd have to be blind freddy to not notice we still have gaping holes in our list they have just been plugged by average journeymen in the likes of Morris, King, Thomas and Pettard etc.

So pass marks to me are more about games into kids with better kicks who can be better than average AFL players. Course Lennon wont be in his second year but I hope he plays 22 games and really cements a spot. I hope Vlastuin gets over his 2nd year blues. If those sort of things dont happen then its a fail even if we win a final because we wont win a grand final without a better list.

For me the treadmill matters more than the final result as long as we stay competitive and the coach doesnt lose the players.  If we finish 15th I have a problem but then itd be obvious. What will not be obvious is  8th or 9th but no list improvement. 

Online Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 05:10:11 PM »
Im all the dumber for reading this, if 12 wins was so attainable why did the majority of teams F A I L to achieve it , well stuff me he says I didn't fink of dat :wallywink
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 04:31:33 AM by one-eyed »
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

tony_montana

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 08:54:44 PM »
a lot of people in the industry are thinking some teams will go past us, namely Adelaide and GC