Author Topic: How Hawthorn fooled Richmond to scoop Buddy, Roughead, Lewis in 2014 draft (H-S)  (Read 3591 times)

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
I remember the whispers leading up to the draft.  We had a massive interest in Roughead.  However a few days before I also heard we were likely to take Deledio and Franklin.
Sliding doors moment that one big time…..
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

No More

In 2011 we traded Tambling to Adelaide for two draft picks which netted us McIntosh and Elton so who looks like the big winners now. Hawthorn lost buddy for pick 19 I believe so it will be interesting to see who will be the long term winner.

Maybe someone should ring Ralphy boy when he is on with KB on SEN with some facts  ;D

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
FJ was still watching video highlights packages on his Betamax and had no idea who was good especially anyone interstate. He picked on vibe and the pee&poo played him like a fiddle.  :lol
The club that keeps giving.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
At the end of the day Buddy would not be at the RFC today regardless. He would not have helped us to a GF win like he did the the Hawks and he would have gone after the money like Ottens did.

We wasted the pick on Tambling. Well we still would have wasted the pick on Buddy!!
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
A very true article as Richmond were going to take Roughy but thought 2 mids were better than talls. Roughy is l still say today a better footballer than Franklin & some of you would remember what l post way back then about taking Roughy. It was all the talk at Power. History shows building a team around those 2 big fella's but a Deledio / Roughhead combination would have been great for our club. History now as l'm watching Roughy playing well at this moment. Great footballer.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
wonder if  ralphy will post an article next week blowing the whistle on how the tioges thwarted a multi million dollar attempt to poach trent cotchin by the hawks that ended in F A I L U R E  :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
A very true article as Richmond were going to take Roughy but thought 2 mids were better than talls. Roughy is l still say today a better footballer than Franklin & some of you would remember what l post way back then about taking Roughy. It was all the talk at Power. History shows building a team around those 2 big fella's but a Deledio / Roughhead combination would have been great for our club. History now as l'm watching Roughy playing well at this moment. Great footballer.
.....After 8 seasons of below par performances Richmond are adamant & very happy with how well Roughead has been progressing as a serviceable full-back....
"Look, we are extremely happy with his training & he's a strong voice in the back half ,he does struggle against the bigger bodied forwards but we are hoping he can find the consistency we all know he's capable of..." Hardwick said.
The club that keeps giving.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Yeah we could have stuffed it up. Or maybe taking Franklin with Lids, or even both of Franklin/Roughead could have led to a sustained era of success.

Players prefer success to money unless they can have both generally speaking. Could have been the difference for us.

Either way you look at it, RFC had a job to do that draft and somebody pooped the bed.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
The biggest tragedy of that draft was not picking Lewis with pick 4
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
At that point in time i don't think we had the tools to develop someone to transform the talent into elite footballer. Richmond hasn't exactly had a lot of success with tall key position forwards (or backmen) during the wallace era and we would've messed up the development of Franklin or Roughead.

In part I'm sure a lot of you agree, if Deledio was nurtured properly he would be on the same level as Pendlebury or Fyfe. Instead he was left to stagnate under a Wallace era RFC and I'm surprised he hasn't become Jack Watts.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
nah TW always had a thing for jockey size midfielders , lewis was way out of the picture
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
yep we wanted roughead at 4.
most pundits had the draft going
1 deledio
2 tambling
3 griffen
4 roughhead
5 franklin.
hawthorn had other ideas.
there was plenty of talk at the time that franklin would drop even further because of the percieved bad attitude.i think the club bought into those rumours, i myself got sold by this i really liked buddy as a junior and went off him because of them.
i really liked lewis as well and at one time had him at 4.

FJ was still watching video highlights packages on his Betamax and had no idea who was good especially anyone interstate. He picked on vibe and the pee&poo played him like a fiddle.  :lol
cant blame fj for that one wasnt there in 04.

In 2011 we traded Tambling to Adelaide for two draft picks which netted us McIntosh and Elton so who looks like the big winners now. Hawthorn lost buddy for pick 19 I believe so it will be interesting to see who will be the long term winner.
my understanding  is in 2010 we received( pick 51 dean macdonald)  and adelaides  rnd 1 compensation pick that they got for losing bock to the gcs.  that compensation pick became pick 26  which we used on todd elton in 2011.
in our dealings with adelaide we then traded 37 for maric in 2011.
in 2012 we traded angus graham and pick 54 for pick 42 which became matt mcdonough.

in 2012 we traded the rnd two nathan krakouer compensation  pick to gcs for pick 31 it became kamdyn mcintosh. im not sure how that all came about and how we ended up with the compensation pick, maybe some one can shed some light. some of those compo picks did the rounds.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
nah TW always had a thing for jockey size midfielders , lewis was way out of the picture

I don't actually know what your trying to convey here with your comment. The fact that TW had a thing for jockeys doesn't make not picking Lewis at pick 4 any less tragic.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
 :sleep :sleep :sleep :sleep :sleep :sleep

When will we start reading articles on how we blew it by picking Conca over Heppell
Unleash the tornado

Offline froars

• Premiership Captain
The John Pitura curse lives on