Author Topic: Adam Goodes Booing  (Read 61750 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Adam Goodes Booing
« Reply #105 on: July 29, 2015, 09:56:32 PM »
At least she has the guts to say it

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/news/opinion/the-goodes-the-bad-and-the-ugly/story-fni0fhh1-1227460762592

For Rita, it was a very balanced opinion piece.

Yes got here message across really well
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #106 on: July 29, 2015, 10:01:32 PM »
Surely this is some governmental experiment designed to see exactly what they can and can't tell people, what to do and think

Like Boston bombings flase flag

Practice for the real thing

So you're saying all the Sydney matches were staged using giant mirrors and actors?  I knew our win up there was too good to be true....
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #107 on: July 29, 2015, 10:02:20 PM »
At least she has the guts to say it

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/news/opinion/the-goodes-the-bad-and-the-ugly/story-fni0fhh1-1227460762592

For Rita, it was a very balanced opinion piece.

Yes got here message across really well

Agree.  Just finished reading it before I got on here.  She nailed it actually!

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager
« Reply #108 on: July 29, 2015, 11:33:05 PM »
Some interesting opinions here. I'll add mine to the pile;

What absolutely disappoints me is a proper lack of sympathy for Goodes. Hate him when he takes the field for the less than sportsman-like tactics he has employed more recently, but for gods sake, he's one of the games modern champions. There is a clear and undeniable racial undercurrent to the 'booing'; and whilst I would think most of it legitimately stands as unrest for his tactics, there would be some who simply boo because they're racist pricks. The manner in which he is booed contains a large element of this, and those that do wish to boo him need to understand they're lending their voice, and giving an amount of legitimacy to racism.

Some of the posters here also accused him of having no right to raise Aboriginal issues, which really is disastrously ill-informed and unfair. Because he grew up in a "white" part of Australia he is not entitled to associate with his Aboriginality? Seriously?

Here's some fun facts regarding indigenous peoples in Australia and around the world:

There is no such thing as Race; which is to say there is no actual biological basis for the notion of Race. During the height of imperial colonization (anywhere from 1500 - 1800) social theorism took prominence with ideas of 'social darwinism' which is to say there existed a hierarchy of peoples from around the world; and that of course the most cultivated sat at the top of this ladder; that being white Europeans. These theories; and they still exist as nothing more than antiquated theories, gave justification and rationale for the obvious inhuman treatment of indigenous inhabitants from various new world countries. In other words, "we're better than you, therefore we deserve your land and you have no rights in our world'. Aboriginal Australians suffered relatively fiercely (although admittedly not as bad as South Americans or Calypso inhabitants) from this method of thinking.

The killing of Tasmanian aboriginals ranks as the 6th greatest genocide in contemporary history. The 6th biggest!

And we call Adam Goodes a flog simply for raising these facts in a public forum. He was awarded Australian of the year, he didn't nominate for it. He was given the award for being a high-achieving and excellent role model for aboriginal Australians, and when he used that forum to raise issues that gripe with the general white Australia, we cringe.

After all, its easier to blame someone else and call them a flog than own up to our own errors of the past.

I dont' like the way he goes about his football at the moment, but I adore the bloke for standing up for what he believes in; speaking obvious unpleasant truths to a public and KNOWING he would receive backlash for it; for the greater good of society and his people. What have you done in your life?

What an excellent post Dougey. I agree with every word of it. I am proud that the Richmond Football Club have stood up on his behalf today.  :gotigers

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #109 on: July 29, 2015, 11:43:37 PM »
I'm not because they haven't.
They've done what the afl told them to do and by the way, what they're satjnding for is also incorrect.

They're saying, on all our behalf, that the booing is about racism which in itself is so ludicrously  corporate in today's day and age.

All the while, this deluded narcissist wanders down the path of his charmed existence, with his millions of dollars and good intentions, not realising he has the IQ of a kennelled K9.

Today we Honor the idealist by proxy.
He's not really achieved anything other than on a sporting level but we do know he has more than an interest in politics for the year 2016.

The club has it entirely wrong and look like rudderless poofters, treading water in a sea of wacko,political correctness.

Boooooooooooooo !!!!!
Caracella and Balmey.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #110 on: July 29, 2015, 11:49:02 PM »
Some interesting opinions here. I'll add mine to the pile;

What absolutely disappoints me is a proper lack of sympathy for Goodes. Hate him when he takes the field for the less than sportsman-like tactics he has employed more recently, but for gods sake, he's one of the games modern champions. There is a clear and undeniable racial undercurrent to the 'booing'; and whilst I would think most of it legitimately stands as unrest for his tactics, there would be some who simply boo because they're racist pricks. The manner in which he is booed contains a large element of this, and those that do wish to boo him need to understand they're lending their voice, and giving an amount of legitimacy to racism.

Some of the posters here also accused him of having no right to raise Aboriginal issues, which really is disastrously ill-informed and unfair. Because he grew up in a "white" part of Australia he is not entitled to associate with his Aboriginality? Seriously?

Here's some fun facts regarding indigenous peoples in Australia and around the world:

There is no such thing as Race; which is to say there is no actual biological basis for the notion of Race. During the height of imperial colonization (anywhere from 1500 - 1800) social theorism took prominence with ideas of 'social darwinism' which is to say there existed a hierarchy of peoples from around the world; and that of course the most cultivated sat at the top of this ladder; that being white Europeans. These theories; and they still exist as nothing more than antiquated theories, gave justification and rationale for the obvious inhuman treatment of indigenous inhabitants from various new world countries. In other words, "we're better than you, therefore we deserve your land and you have no rights in our world'. Aboriginal Australians suffered relatively fiercely (although admittedly not as bad as South Americans or Calypso inhabitants) from this method of thinking.

The killing of Tasmanian aboriginals ranks as the 6th greatest genocide in contemporary history. The 6th biggest!

And we call Adam Goodes a flog simply for raising these facts in a public forum. He was awarded Australian of the year, he didn't nominate for it. He was given the award for being a high-achieving and excellent role model for aboriginal Australians, and when he used that forum to raise issues that gripe with the general white Australia, we cringe.

After all, its easier to blame someone else and call them a flog than own up to our own errors of the past.

I dont' like the way he goes about his football at the moment, but I adore the bloke for standing up for what he believes in; speaking obvious unpleasant truths to a public and KNOWING he would receive backlash for it; for the greater good of society and his people. What have you done in your life?

What an excellent post Dougey. I agree with every word of it. I am proud that the Richmond Football Club have stood up on his behalf today.  :gotigers

Here here.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline froars

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #111 on: July 29, 2015, 11:54:04 PM »
I know I am in the minority on this issue but here's another piece of good writing by Francis Leach.  Well, I thought he made some good points

So, who do we want to be?

When Adam Goodes tells us that when he hears the boos and he feels in his guts that they’re about the colour of his skin and his culture, do we choose to ignore him?

Do we prioritise our freedom of expression - even if we feel it’s misunderstood - over the clearly profound impact it may have on someone else?

Do we bench empathy and give into selfishness and the petty obnoxiousness that is freely on offer in the anonymity of crowds?

Are we so wrapped up in ourselves that we simply refuse to walk a mile in the shoes of a man who has carried himself with pride and dignity yet is clearly wounded by the hostility and the hate?

Are we going to demonise a man whose career is littered with accolades and achievements and not blemished by the sorts of misdemeanours so common amongst his contemporaries?

No drug taking, violence against women, sleeping with your team mates wife, consorting with bikkie gangs and known gangsters or fighting in nightclubs.

No, all of those things are easily forgiven.

In fact, those guys end up on your TV screens and on your radio as the face and voice of the game.

Which shame is greater?

That we live so comfortably with that double standard or that we continue to justify it with a gutless character assassination that bears no relation to reality?

Just how many of those that offer their voices to the chorus of condemnation would dare look Adam Goodes in the eye and express their contempt for him?

In the crowd its easy, unthinking, ugly and powerful. Yes, power. That’s at the heart of it.

When you side with the baying mob that sense of power and dominance must feel great.

The sanctuary of crowds has aways been a place where our darker angels have flourished.

So when they come calling for you next time you’re choosing to boo - ask yourself.

So who do we really want to be?

Because the sound of the crowd says a hell of a lot more about who we really are in our hearts than it ever does about Adam Goodes.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #112 on: July 29, 2015, 11:55:58 PM »
I understand your point Angus, and to be honest I agree why bother booing? I wouldn't waste my time or energy booing the bloke, because he isn't worth my time or energy

But I pose this question to you

there are a lot of indigenous players running around every week; Buddy, Cyril, Burgoyne, the Hill Bros, Titch Edwards to name a few

All these blokes play every week and they don't get booed. Why? If it was simply a racial issue then IMV there would be more booing but there isn't.

So this is about an individual, not a race but an individual who clearly has polarised people

Never did I say it was solely about race and those who do are wrong. Everyone has their own reasons and in fact I  have even seen some do a full 180 from one of the original 13 yr old girl thread. (Interesting read and I saw what I thought I would)

That being said it is about race to some idiots,  but the majority no and then you have your sheep, Hewitt styles.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #113 on: July 29, 2015, 11:59:12 PM »
Leach has nailed it.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #114 on: July 30, 2015, 12:05:00 AM »
LMAO

RELAX EVERYONE.

We have been booing entertainers since the Ancient Greeks.

He's an entertainer (wanker)
He's booed for what he does on the field.
People pay for their ticket and deserve the right to react to the performance in whatever manner they wish.
It's sport/entertainment, not some stuffing life changing cultural event.
He's a drama queen and is loving it.
Media is having a field day   
Lol.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline froars

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #115 on: July 30, 2015, 12:05:51 AM »
Just my bleeding heart, Ox, you know me lol

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #117 on: July 30, 2015, 12:07:11 AM »
This racism crap is the AFL manipulating the media to take away from their disgraceful past 3 years and total failure in the workplace and beyond.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #118 on: July 30, 2015, 12:09:05 AM »
Bolts article nails it
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline froars

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #119 on: July 30, 2015, 12:11:33 AM »
I think it's 95 % booing the player for his behaviour on field and 5 % racist, give or take.
I don't think the people who are booing are racists in general.
But now it's just out and out bullying and it's pretty ordinary.
Just having an argument online and comparing Milne and Goodes, and them saying Milne got booed worse than Goodes
WELL one effing deserved it, he wa a dirty grub and the other a player who just shiits people
A big difference