Author Topic: Newmo announces retirement  (Read 7718 times)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Newmo announces retirement
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2015, 09:22:14 PM »
Has frustrated the hell out of me for a while but will forever have my respect as the skipper through some dark days.  :thumbsup

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2015, 10:01:28 PM »
thank Geez for that
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2015, 11:39:37 PM »
Well done Chris, You have lead the club & soldiered on after breaking the leg, Which could have ended your career. You fought back & have been a great servant for the club & shown how someone who loved the worst club in the league, To love the Tigers & stay loyal to the club who produced one of its own footballers. For that we admire & thank you. Best of luck for the future & may the lads push into this finals series with you. You truely are a Tiger.  :thumbsup  :clapping :clapping :clapping

:gotigers

Next >>>>>>>>>>>>>> K & P  :snidegrin

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2015, 11:46:28 PM »
Brendon Gale @brendongale25 twitter:

"Newy defined a culture and restored pride in our @Richmond_FC Jumper. What a legacy!"

https://twitter.com/brendongale25

---------------------------------------------------------

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick said Newman had made a huge impact at Punt Road.

“Chris has been an outstanding representative of the Richmond Football Club for 15 years, both on and off the field,” Hardwick said.

“He has been a brilliant player, a strong and composed leader, and a magnificent role model.

“He took over as Richmond captain in a difficult time, and carried himself impressively as he helped build the strong culture which exists at Tigerland today.

“I’m sure the players will be doing everything they can to make sure he gets an appropriate send-off, and it’s fitting that our fans can pay tribute to him during the remainder of the season.”

- See more at: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-08-18/veteran-tiger-defender-to-call-it-quits-at-end-of-2015#sthash.ebIYNgEy.dpuf

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2015, 01:01:43 AM »
Well done Chris, You have lead the club & soldiered on after breaking the leg, Which could have ended your career. You fought back & have been a great servant for the club & shown how someone who loved the worst club in the league, To love the Tigers & stay loyal to the club who produced one of its own footballers. For that we admire & thank you. Best of luck for the future & may the lads push into this finals series with you. You truely are a Tiger.  :thumbsup  :clapping :clapping :clapping

:gotigers

Next >>>>>>>>>>>>>> K & P  :snidegrin

Knights won't. Pettard might

Online eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2015, 07:54:58 AM »
Well done Chris, great career and a very good decision.

Agree.

Offline The Mole

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2015, 07:56:00 AM »
Cant find one article in the papers  and nothing mentioned on last nights news ...........poor

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2015, 08:06:06 AM »
Was a blubbering mess after watching his farewell speech  :cheers
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2015, 12:07:54 PM »
Newy's farewell speech ...

VIDEO: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2015-08-18/newman-tells-teammates

“I never thought I’d be captain of the best club in the world, with the best supporters, and the best people.

“A lot of things have changed, but one thing that hasn’t changed for me is my passion for the jumper, and how much it means to me to get the opportunity to play in that jumper every week.

“I’ll miss more than anything putting the jumper on before games with you blokes.”

Full article: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2015-08-19/newmans-emotional-address

Offline froars

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2015, 12:35:24 PM »
Was a blubbering mess after watching his farewell speech  :cheers

Hope he gets a gig in the GF

When someone says they play for the jumper, you take it with a grain of salt these days, but I believe he did.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2015, 01:26:06 PM »
When someone says they play for the jumper, you take it with a grain of salt these days, but I believe he did.

Agree

Posted about it yesterday

That is his legacy to this club = the importance of that jumper. Instilled that into the players while he was captain. It got lost for a long time IMV and that cultural fabric he bought back and I thank him for that
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2015, 01:47:41 PM »
An average footballer who was gifted a career at a poo club.
No leadership qualities whatsoever yet was made captain.
Says a lot.....
 Thanks for occupying a spot for three years too long on top of being a poo player for most of your career.
Well done Chris.
The dream is over. Thank stuff.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2015, 03:02:40 PM »

Agree

Posted about it yesterday

That is his legacy to this club = the importance of that jumper. Instilled that into the players while he was captain. It got lost for a long time IMV and that cultural fabric he bought back and I thank him for that

LMAOOOO

He brought it back?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Geez.H.Geez. Are u over emotional or what?
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Petey

• Bad
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • SgtAA of OER
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2015, 04:10:38 PM »
:lol

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2015, 04:35:42 PM »
Newy's presser today ...

VIDEO: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2015-08-19/newman-press-conference-august-19th

---------------------------------------------------------

Retiring Tiger Newman dares to dream about fairytale flag

Jason Phelan,
AAP 
August 19, 2015 1:57 PM

RICHMOND veteran Chris Newman is hoping for a fairytale finish to his career.

The 33-year-old announced this week he will retire at end of the current campaign and while he remains focused on making the finals first and foremost, he has allowed himself to dream of ending his career as a Tigers' premiership player.

"Well, you've always got to allow for it," Newman said on Wednesday.

"It's what every player wants to do, they want to play in a premiership."

"We've got a proud history with a lot of players who have done that.

"Although we've only got three weeks left in the season, it feels like we've got a lot of improvement left and a long way to go to even be in the mix to win a flag this year."

Richmond is in sixth spot with 12 wins, but Newman is understandably reluctant to assume the team will make the finals given he played 232 games before experiencing finals football.

Even then, he had to endure further disappointment when the Tigers fell at the elimination final stage of each of the past two seasons.

However, he's confident both he and his teammates are better for the experience.

"The past is past and I'm just really confident in this group," he said.

"We've played very well against the best (teams) this year (but) we've also played some pretty ordinary footy, so we've got to get the balance right.

"Hopefully, we can have a good game this week (against Collingwood) and really finish off strong."

Newman announced his retirement with three games left to play because he was experiencing growing anxiety about his impending departure from Punt Road.

He says at times this season, he has felt like the game had moved past him a bit and while he remains confident he can still play a role for the team, he's comfortable the time is right to walk away.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-08-19/retiring-tiger-newman-dares-to-dream-about-fairytale-flag