Author Topic: A mother's courage sends a powerful message on respect (Age)  (Read 4485 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
A mother's courage sends a powerful message on respect (Age)
« on: September 19, 2015, 04:43:30 AM »
A mother's courage sends a powerful message on respect

Martin Flanagan
The Age
September 19, 2015

Something happened in the crowd at last Sunday's elimination final. 

It involved an Adelaide mother-of-six, Olivia Muller, and her nine-year-old son, Isaiah. I'd met them the previous day at the Tigers' last training. Isaiah is blind, both his eyeballs having been removed after they became cancerous – the left when he was 18 months old, the right when he was three-and-a-half. 

As the players left the track after training, the better-known of them were directed to Isaiah. They shook his hand, had a chat. The Richmond club, having been advised of Isaiah's story, had flown him and his mother across for the final. Coach Damien Hardwick took Isaiah's hand and led him into the change rooms to find Dusty Martin. Beside me, Olivia Muller said with quiet passion: "They're just a bunch of top blokes."

Olivia has an engagingly colloquial manner. Her face is marked by the anxieties she's endured but there's a solid brightness about her. Last year, she did a 140-kilometre trek through Tanzania to raise money for a group called We See Hope. 

Olivia and her husband Craig, who has a business in Adelaide delivering fruit and vegetables, have six sons. When Olivia told me Craig barracks for the Crows, Isaiah said: "Crows, boo!", and I realised he'd been listening all along.

On Sunday, we met at the MCG. When we found our seats, this small, friendly, courteous man appeared before us who seemed to know Isaiah at a glance. It was Peter Hafey, brother of Tom, and part of the great Richmond years as the club's runner. He shifted seats to better accommodate Isaiah.

When Isaiah sat down, I watched as he swished his hands about, identifying his surroundings – the seats, the rails. I saw a busy brain at work. Isaiah follows games by listening to broadcasts. His mother had an app on her iPhone that was carrying a broadcast of the final but it wouldn't work inside the concrete bowl that's the MCG. Standing, she said to me: "I'll have to go back to the hotel to get his transistor. Can you look after him?" She was going to the Pullman, she said, "just over the road".

I immediately imagined the nightmare of looking across and the boy not being there. "Are you sure he won't wander off?" I asked. Beside me a nine-year-old voice said bluntly: "I won't wander off." That's when I "got" Isaiah - he's someone who means what he says.

While his mother was away, I called the game for him. I must admit, after the rude things I've said about commentators over the years, I sounded pretty lame. At one point I gave the score as, "Richmond 4.3", and added "27". "I don't need the last number," he said.

After his mother's return, he divided his time between listening through earphones to the transistor, and taking them off and tuning in to the tumult around him. Isaiah has a fine shout. His cry of "Go Richmond!" is like the clashing of cymbals.

We were sitting in the back row on level one under the concrete overhang. Behind us, over to our left in standing room, was a boisterous group of North supporters, one of whom was particularly loud. I was concentrating on Isaiah and not really listening. Later, Olivia told me he was saying "personal things" about Richmond players.

A woman just along from me aged about 30 got really upset, stood up and left, but not before facing the man and calling him out. Then a second woman walked out, calling him "a f*****g jerk" for all to hear. Then I looked across and Olivia was gone.

Shocked, I looked around and saw her behind me, in the midst of the noisy North supporters, talking to the loudest one like a sister talking to a drunken brother at his wedding.

The next day I rang Olivia, by now back in Adelaide, and asked her exactly what happened. I wrote down what she said: "It took a bit to get him to calm down enough to listen to me but gently, respectfully, I tried to explain to him why people were so upset with him. He kept saying to me, "But I'm not swearing, I'm not swearing", and I kept saying to him, "I know, buddy", and I put my hand on his back in a gesture of "It's cool, buddy – I just want to have a chat".

I'd seen Olivia with her hand around the man like she was partnering him in a waltz and directing his attention across to Isaiah. "I said to him: 'That little boy over there's my son. He's blind and the Tigers have flown him over. Those Richmond players have been amazing to him. He's upset because they're going to lose and you're yelling out very personal things about people who mean so much to him'. He said: 'But I'm not swearing' and I said: 'It's not about the swearing, buddy – it's about respect'."

It was one of the more amazing happenings I've witnessed in a football crowd. When I asked Olivia where she gets her courage from, she said: "Once you've had a kid with cancer, you're afraid of nothing."

Did the obnoxious supporter stop his bellowing because of Olivia? I only heard him once thereafter and, when I looked across, I thought his mates were standing a bit away from  him. 

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/a-mothers-courage-sends-a-powerful-message-on-respect-20150918-gjpqok.html

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: A mother's courage sends a powerful message on respect (Age)
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 10:01:05 PM »
 :thumbsup
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 10:03:10 PM »
 :clapping :clapping
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 10:20:35 PM »
Great story and confirms yet again that despite our club's on-field failings we are a very good community citizen.   :thumbsup :thumbsup

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 10:24:09 PM »
Hmm... not quite sure using your disabled kid to try and silence opposition supporters is all that "courageous"....if you don't want to hear certain things, the football is the last place you should be.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Petey

• Bad
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • SgtAA of OER
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 10:25:16 PM »
Hmm... not quite sure using your disabled kid to try and silence opposition supporters is all that "courageous"....if you don't want to hear certain things, the football is the last place you should be.

:bow

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2015, 02:16:41 AM »
And graham cornes thinks our club is arrogant.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2015, 03:39:14 AM »
Ummmm............we didn't win,  but hey the leaders are all really stand up nice boys after all, they just struggle to stand up in finals not even for the little blind boy with cancer.  :facepalm
What a bloody disgrace   :banghead
The club that keeps giving.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2015, 11:05:36 AM »
It's not the 80s, did you hear families go into pubs these days as well?
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2015, 11:15:04 AM »
The fact of the matter is that the footy is there for everyone. That means Bogans and Businessmen alike. I often take my girls to the footy. They hear obscenities all the time. I don't like it but it is what it is. That is life. In a way I feel they get to know the outside world a bit better and how it can be rough and tough. As citizens of this society, they need to build up a tough exterior to be able to handle all sorts of situations. I don't want to wrap them up in cotton wool because I know that won't allow them to survive out there. It is unpleasant to hear stories like the one above, but how can anyone be surprised?
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2015, 01:27:56 PM »
It's not the 80s, did you hear families go into pubs these days as well?

Another disgrace

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2015, 01:54:50 PM »
80's?  It's not even the early 2000's anymore.....and families have always gone to pubs... mainly for Sunday lunch at the bistro...dunno about the rest of the week....pretty sure kids under 18 are still not allowed to loiter around the bar unattended though...
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2015, 01:58:58 PM »
pretty sure kids are not allowed in the main bar at all. bisto and beer gardens only under supervision
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2015, 02:10:21 PM »
Yes they're pretty much only allowed to walk through the main bar with an adult if they have to in order to get to the bistro or the toilets.

- Thomas Sowell

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2015, 04:06:22 PM »
Depends on which State.  In some it's entirely legal to allow minors in any bar except for the gaming lounge.