Author Topic: Yeah or Neah - Matt Dea?  (Read 6584 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Yeah or Neah - Matt Dea?
« on: September 24, 2015, 06:05:08 PM »
Yep, it's that time of the year for the 'Yeah or Neah' polls  ;D.

First up is Matty Dea who is out of contract and didn't play an AFL game this year. He spent the whole year in our VFL side where he played 15 games.

AFL career stats:

Games   Kicks   Hballs      Disp.   Marks    Tackles   G.B    Clear.     In50   Re50     1%ers
2010:        3        2.3      8.0       10.3     1.7         3.3      0.0
2011:        4        3.8      5.3         9.0     3.0         2.3      0.0
2012:      14        5.6      6.2       11.8     3.8         1.6      0.0      0.1       1.2      0.8        2.4
2013:        3        6.0      4.3       10.3     4.0         1.7      0.0   
2014:        7        6.4      6.3       12.7     3.1         1.4      1.0      0.4       0.7      2.6        2.4
2015:        0

http://finalsiren.com/PlayerStats.asp?PlayerID=2005&SeasonID=ALL
http://www.pro-stats.com.au/psw/web/player_profile?pid=2010044

Dea's 2015 VFL stats: http://www.foxsportspulse.com/team_info.cgi?action=PSTATS&pID=192156824&client=1-118-150491-339767-20320246&ocompID=339767

So do we hold onto Dea or trade/delist him?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Yeah or Neah - Matt Dea?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 06:19:28 PM »
Six seasons; 31 games

Will confess never been a fan. Think he is poor decision maker

His role is the one Batchelor has and like it or, want to admit or not, Batch passed him this year in a huge way. The games played shows that

So sadly it's time to go. Try and trade but if no takers delist
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Heart of Darkness

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 06:41:09 PM »
Six seasons; 31 games

His role is the one Batchelor has and like it or, want to admit or not, Batch passed him this year in a huge way. The games played shows that

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 06:52:11 PM »
Nyet, Pizimov!
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 07:22:58 PM »
I didn't think he had it in him till this year. The guy has been one of our best in our VFL side. Was kept out of the team all year by Newman. He has done everything that has been asked of him in the magoos. You can't do more than that. I'd like to give him one more year. If Batch or Grimes go down, he'll be a good depth player to cover them. He has had games of over 30 possessions off a half back flank and Newman has stunk it up in the seniors. The following week Newman keeps his spot and this guy is overlooked. Not sure why TBH.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 07:29:49 PM »
I didn't think he had it in him till this year. The guy has been one of our best in our VFL side. Was kept out of the team all year by Newman. He has done everything that has been asked of him in the magoos. You can't do more than that. I'd like to give him one more year. If Batch or Grimes go down, he'll be a good depth player to cover them. He has had games of over 30 possessions off a half back flank and Newman has stunk it up in the seniors. The following week Newman keeps his spot and this guy is overlooked. Not sure why TBH.

Your 2nd sentence nails it for mine Doc and that is he is a very good, actually makes that excellent VFL player.

But nothing I've seen at VFL level has convinced me he is an AFL player and I reckon that's the problem. Granted he didn't get a look in this year but I am not sold that it would have made any difference

I'll be honest and admit I was generally staggered he got a contract for this season
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 07:31:01 PM »
Stellar form for the 2nds.  Keep and bring in in for 1-2 seasons.
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 07:33:52 PM »
If he cant get a game in front of Batchelor then he should be delisted. 6 years is enough and for what. so little return with no guarantee the situation  will improve. Dea is a player i have liked for a long time but enough is enough.

If we are forever going what if he becomes a good player else where???  we will never move players on as quickly as we should. This is what is happening now, It is hurting our ability to grow the list. Sometimes you just have to cut your losses and  be prepared to maybe lose out if the player grasps his chances elsewhere. Sometimes we just have to move on.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 07:42:12 PM »
a lot of the vfl reports mentioned him "controlling" the backline.

This is what chaplin is in the side for. I dont think batch is that much better than dea. If he can force batch out, he may indireclty force chaplin out.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 07:42:35 PM »
Six seasons; 31 games

Summed it up perfectly.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2015, 09:02:46 PM »
a lot of the vfl reports mentioned him "controlling" the backline.

This is what chaplin is in the side for. I dont think batch is that much better than dea. If he can force batch out, he may indireclty force chaplin out.
I would have thought he is a similar type of player/role to Vlastuin but less talented. Batchelor should be performing Vlastuins role as well but again has too many deficiencies.
Batchelor as a tall is terrible and as a medium sized defender who should also provide rebound and great delivery worse.
I know Batchelor has played some decent games this yr but i certainly feel he is an inbetween player who we must do better than. Isuppose we have plenty like that.

Chaplin is in the side as a key defender and all  that that includes. Unfortunately Chappy fails miserably in some important areas of the role. Neither Batchelor or Dea are KPDs and in all honesty neither should ever be asked to play as such. Dea and Batchelor will never force Chaplin out of the side the only players we have who could possibly do that are Astbury who we are trading and Elton
who can barely get a kick in the two's. I woukld say effectively Chaplin has no pressure at all on his position.

Hawthorn have a bloke called Angus Litherland who just cant break into their team. He is a 192/90 hard running hbf who defends pretty well.  I would be asking about him.
It is no secret the player i want most in the off season is Carlisle and i would also be looking hard at Lachie Plowman a 193/92 tall defender who may become a kpd.

Of course the RFC and it seems most of the supporters have no inclination at all of going at tall defenders or running defenders. It remains a mystery to me.The need is great and becomes even greater if Astbury is traded.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2015, 02:05:37 AM »
IF we were to keep him, we have to play him. No ifs or buts. It's that or boot him

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2015, 02:19:54 AM »
Six seasons; 31 games

Summed it up perfectly.
x 4.

Those inside the Club rated him early on but I've never ever seen why. Decision making with ball in hand and execution skills are very unreliable. So, he'll do a good thing defensively to gain possession and then make a goal-costing howler in the backline. Others have now gone past him as WP said, so I don't see Dea being at Punt Rd next year either.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Jackstar is back!!!

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2015, 04:46:52 AM »
Would keep one more year
Injury to Houli or Vlaustin would mean he would get a game
Need insurance
Happy to have him as player 25-30 on list

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2015, 04:31:49 PM »
It was a real Mystery to me when Grimes was injured late in the season that Dea did not come in.

Even Matthew Richardson was surprised.

I always thought his consistent good form in the VFL would be rewarded. I would be a little disillusioned if I were Matt.
Unleash the tornado