Author Topic: Jacob Townsend [merged]  (Read 127038 times)

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Rookie pick 32: Jacob Townsend [update]
« Reply #465 on: November 23, 2018, 06:31:13 PM »
Does anything stop another club from jumping in and taking him sooner? Or is it an unwritten rule to leave them alone if another club signals their intent to re-draft them?

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Re: Rookie pick 32: Jacob Townsend [update]
« Reply #466 on: November 23, 2018, 06:34:54 PM »
Done and dusted - he's staying.... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Jacob Townsend [merged]
« Reply #467 on: December 16, 2018, 02:33:57 PM »
With his rehab tracking well, Townsend, now in his fourth year as a Tiger, will be back to full training after the Christmas break.

The 25-year-old is thrilled to keep Tigerland as home.

“If something popped up I would have had a think about it, but I’ve made some lifelong friends here and I didn’t want to leave, so I’m pleased I’m still here,” he said.

“We’re a tight-knit bunch as a group,” he said.

“We’ve lost a few good men over the trade period but that’s the business we’re in.”

“I’ll be seeing myself as a midfielder who can play forward, instead of a forward who can play midfield,” Townsend said.

“In 2017, I focused on playing good footy in the twos, so that when my chance came I’d be right to go. I was fortunate enough that the chance came and I took that, so I’ll have the same sort of mindset coming into this year,” he said.

“It’s another year for me to try and break into the side and play as many games as I can. I’ll be back into full training soon, try and get fit, and hopefully play some good footy.”

Read more at: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2018-12-15/townsend

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #468 on: December 16, 2018, 02:48:31 PM »
If he can improve his running, I’d like him as a run with midfielder. The backend of the year so opposition mids really get away from us.
Cats, Pies (twice), Doggies and GWS had really dominant ball winning mids. I love to see a 100% fit Towner giving Steele Sidebottom hell in round 2 next year
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #469 on: December 18, 2018, 07:55:38 AM »
Steele Sidebottom is an absolute running machine and there aren't many players who'd be able to keep up with him. That being said, just to put pressure on him when he takes his kicks as opposed to letting him do whatever he wants will go a long way.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #470 on: December 18, 2018, 10:46:46 AM »
Steele Sidebottom is an absolute running machine and there aren't many players who'd be able to keep up with him. That being said, just to put pressure on him when he takes his kicks as opposed to letting him do whatever he wants will go a long way.
They say Brandy is pretty good aerobically, could he possibly be a go with player on Sidebottom?

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #471 on: December 18, 2018, 11:12:00 AM »
He is one of the fitter blokes going around as is Lambert...:shh
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #472 on: December 18, 2018, 03:10:52 PM »
Castagna should be our run with player....little wog mongrel like Libba.... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #473 on: March 07, 2019, 04:00:14 PM »
Tough nut Jacob Townsend also trained in a sign he has overcome his thigh issue.

Source: AFL website

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #474 on: May 07, 2019, 08:32:08 PM »
Is there a player who played in our premiership who has had less chances/opportunities than Jacob Townsend?

Is it simply a form or an injury thing or is it a personal thing with Dimma?

IMO he just doesn’t seemed to have had the same opportunity as players like Bellis, George, Butler, Broad or even Houli when their form drops off.

For me he is everything I would think Dimma wants in a player- super, super tough, great tackler, unselfish, versatile, sure hands, and an excellent kick.

He seems so far away from getting a game again IMO.

Is there something I’m missing?

Thoughts??

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #475 on: May 08, 2019, 10:57:43 AM »
Is there a player who played in our premiership who has had less chances/opportunities than Jacob Townsend?

Is it simply a form or an injury thing or is it a personal thing with Dimma?

IMO he just doesn’t seemed to have had the same opportunity as players like Bellis, George, Butler, Broad or even Houli when their form drops off.

For me he is everything I would think Dimma wants in a player- super, super tough, great tackler, unselfish, versatile, sure hands, and an excellent kick.

He seems so far away from getting a game again IMO.

Is there something I’m missing?

Thoughts??
I am with you on this BT, it leaves me flabbergasted.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #476 on: May 08, 2019, 12:54:33 PM »
Agree whole heartedly with the big man.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #477 on: May 08, 2019, 01:23:34 PM »
Agree BT

I'm a huge Townsend fan.

I think last year the want to play Higgins kept him out of the side, then he busted his leg.

Interestingly, last year there were many on here who didn't want in the side after one bad game

He said at a pre match the other week that he had a seriously interrupted preseason because of said busted leg that was worse than we knew. 

Originally I was genuinely surprised he d didn't play the first few weeks when Caddy was out. But after hearing about his preseason, not surprised now.

Will be interesting to see me gets a gig this week. He should, he's earned it

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #478 on: May 08, 2019, 01:42:05 PM »
He was close a few weeks ago.

I think it's a simple case of him being able to fit into our structure. I love the guy but he is a seriously ordinary midfielder at the top level. He was in and out of the GWS team because of it. Same as with us until he moved forward and played great footy.

Played a good game or 2 early last year and then his form dropped. Unfortunately broke his leg later but was glad to see him retained.

I don't mind BT's idea of having him as a tagger at times but for a prolonged career he needs to play forward IMO. But where does he fit into our structure when all our bigs are fit? Right now I'd gladly have him up forward with Jack out, Lynch & Caddy out of sorts etc
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #479 on: May 08, 2019, 07:00:39 PM »
 He hurts people and others rush their disposal when he’s hovering. We have opposition defences waltzing through our forwards like they’re turnstiles.
It’s really not that hard.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.