Author Topic: The wash up - Rate our trade period  (Read 14904 times)

Dougeytherichmondfan

Re: The wash up - Rate our trade period
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2015, 06:23:36 AM »
It was pathetic. This is a business of winning finals and flags not finishing 7th or 8th. We are simply not a destination of choice, that is so obvious  and another thing which is obvious is that ol Blair Hackley rates most of the players on our list more than anyone else does.

The positive is not on Richmond its on Yarran as he is the only person who chose us and yet we waited and blew all our energy on this one deal till the very end, while other deals could have been done and were done with others.

Leather face was too kind.
I think we blew all our energy on getting Treloar, Yarran was always going to come to us. I think we played the Yarran deal quite well all things considered.

Agree, we're not a desirable destination at the moment. How much of that is Hartley's fault, how much is it the teams for not performing of recent and blowing finals?

Offline crannyvegas

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2015, 06:55:27 AM »
Who voted above average and why?

Doing nothing would be average to poor.

Brought in at least 1 if not two best 22 players.
Detka! Detka! Detka!

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2015, 07:22:03 AM »

How does that relatively compare to other teams?

I think you also have to consider what picks were traded.

Relativity.
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2015, 07:23:40 AM »

How does that relatively compare to other teams?

I think you also have to consider what picks were traded.

Relativity.
Good theory.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2015, 08:21:55 AM »
It was pathetic. This is a business of winning finals and flags not finishing 7th or 8th. We are simply not a destination of choice, that is so obvious  and another thing which is obvious is that ol Blair Hackley rates most of the players on our list more than anyone else does.

The positive is not on Richmond its on Yarran as he is the only person who chose us and yet we waited and blew all our energy on this one deal till the very end, while other deals could have been done and were done with others.

Leather face was too kind.
I think we blew all our energy on getting Treloar, Yarran was always going to come to us. I think we played the Yarran deal quite well all things considered.

Agree, we're not a desirable destination at the moment. How much of that is Hartley's fault, how much is it the teams for not performing of recent and blowing finals?
Agree with the first bit about Treloar and Yarran.  I also think we got played by Blucher, he is a slimy poo.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2015, 11:10:51 AM »
Seriously some other clubs absolutely destroyed this trade period.

Look at what Carlton, Melbourne and Adelaide achieved.

Yes they paid high prices (Henderson, Yarran, Menzel, Dangerfield, Kerridge) but they sure as hell got good deals coming back to them.

We got one reasonable proven player, and one relative unknown, at the expense of two 2nd round picks and a 4th rounder. Very 50-50.

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2015, 12:44:27 PM »
Those that were on offer as midfielders, wingers, flankers,  We have plenty of that type. We added pace with Yarran. We have others  like him who can do the job but his experience is a factor to moving the ball quicker than we have been. l'm more than satisfied with the trades. Yarran to Martin to goal will rip it up.

:gotigers

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2015, 12:56:26 PM »

Yes they paid high prices (Henderson, Yarran, Menzel, Dangerfield, Kerridge) but they sure as hell got good deals coming back to them.

We got one reasonable proven player, and one relative unknown, at the expense of two 2nd round picks and a 4th rounder. Very 50-50.r
All those trades are worth nothing until you get results. Collingwood has traded out half their team in the last few years and have been going backwards.
Case in point. Dogs just delisted their former no.5 pick.....

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2015, 01:09:50 PM »

Dogs just delisted their former no.5 pick.....

wow he played most the year l wonder why

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2015, 07:25:32 PM »

We got one reasonable proven player, and one relative unknown, at the expense of two 2nd round picks and a 4th rounder. Very 50-50.

I'd argue Carlton and Adelaide have poorer lists after trading if you exclude the draft picks they collected.
Activity doesn't necessarily equal success in the trade period
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2015, 07:38:26 PM »

We got one reasonable proven player, and one relative unknown, at the expense of two 2nd round picks and a 4th rounder. Very 50-50.r
All those trades are worth nothing until you get results. Collingwood has traded out half their team in the last few years and have been going backwards.

Collingwood has only traded players that had serious limitations or that wanted to leave, right? Or am I forgetting somebody? But acquiring targets like Treloar and Aish will hold them in good stead for the future. I'm confident they'll move up next year...

As for the dogs, yeah they lucked out on pick 5 from 2007, long time ago.

As for their recent draftees/early picks who have had at least two years to show us if they're any good they've taken:
Pick 6 (+ Griffen) 2014 for Boyd (possible gun?)
Bontempelli pick 4 2013 (gun)
Pick 26 2013 for Crameri (serviceable)
Jake Stringer pick 5 2012 (gun)
Jackson Macrae pick 6 2012 (gun)

Toby McLean and Lukas Webb, too early to tell.

But with early picks they have definitely acquired what will be the nucleus of a competitive team IMO.

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2015, 07:47:14 PM »
I know it's a big call but if they can keep that doggies team together and add to it in future seasons I can see them breaking their GF drought and being a strong finals team. Whether they can win the big dance again who knows

But I like the team they're putting together
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2015, 07:57:20 PM »

Collingwood has only traded players that had serious limitations or that wanted to leave, right? Or am I forgetting somebody? But acquiring targets like Treloar and Aish will hold them in good stead for the future. I'm confident they'll move up next year...

As for the dogs, yeah they lucked out on pick 5 from 2007, long time ago.

As for their recent draftees/early picks who have had at least two years to show us if they're any good they've taken:
Pick 6 (+ Griffen) 2014 for Boyd (possible gun?)
Bontempelli pick 4 2013 (gun)
Pick 26 2013 for Crameri (serviceable)
Jake Stringer pick 5 2012 (gun)
Jackson Macrae pick 6 2012 (gun)

Toby McLean and Lukas Webb, too early to tell.

But with early picks they have definitely acquired what will be the nucleus of a competitive team IMO.
I didn't say draft picks were no good. I said trading players for draft picks is no guarantee of anything.  Most of the real guns you just mentioned were straight picks. They didn't have to sacrifice anything to get them. And their lies the problem. Once you have to sacrifice something, you'd better make sure that what you are getting turns out better than the player sacrificed.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2015, 08:22:24 PM »
I didn't say draft picks were no good. I said trading players for draft picks is no guarantee of anything.  Most of the real guns you just mentioned were straight picks. They didn't have to sacrifice anything to get them. And their lies the problem. Once you have to sacrifice something, you'd better make sure that what you are getting turns out better than the player sacrificed.

Fair point, but I suppose what I'm getting at is that they have gotten decent deals considering the circumstances (deals for players that didn't want to stay at their clubs).

Barring Troy Menzel all of Carlton's departures wanted to leave - Bell, Yarran and Henderson (all of which would get a game at RFC IMO). They traded out picks 20 (decent), 41 (dud), 77 (dud) and 95 (dud).
In exchange they got Sam Kerridge, Andrew Phillips, Lachie Plowman, Jed Lamb, Liam Sumner - five players with upside or potential, and picks 8 (good), 11 (good), 19 (decent) and 60 (dud).

Dangerfield wanted out of Adelaide, and Kerridge wasn't best 22 for most of the year in a well-performed side. Adelaide also traded picks 32 (probably dud), 53 (dud) and 2016 2nd rounder (probably good/decent).
And in exchange got Menzel, Hampton, Seedsman and Gore, as well as pick 9. Good players with upside and potential again, as well as a top pick.

Melbourne lost Howe (overrated IMO), Fitzpatrick (meh) and Toumpas (meh), as well as picks 6, 25, 64 and 2016 first rounder.
In exchange for Kennedy, Melksham, Bugg and picks 3, 7, 50 and 94.

Compare this to RFC who traded a dud pick for a bloke not getting a game and a more dud pick, and two 2nd round picks for Yarran. It was safe trading, generally uninvolved and uninspiring. Townsend could be the next Miles or the next Arnot. Yarran could be an A-grade player or a C-grade player. Just wish our club was a bit more daring sometimes...

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2015, 08:23:29 PM »
I know it's a big call but if they can keep that doggies team together and add to it in future seasons I can see them breaking their GF drought and being a strong finals team. Whether they can win the big dance again who knows

But I like the team they're putting together

And think what they will be like with Liberatore back in the side. Very exciting brand of football too. An entertaining team to watch, kinda like Port from 2013-2014 but IMO more sustainable...