Author Topic: Shane tuck  (Read 40921 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Shane Tuck hasn’t given up on his boxing career (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #90 on: December 08, 2015, 06:15:26 PM »
Shane Tuck hasn’t given up on his boxing career and vows to get back in the ring

Ron Reed
Herald Sun
December 8, 2015 2:05pm

A MONTH after his disastrous professional boxing debut resulted in four days in hospital, former Richmond footballer Shane Tuck has resumed training, determined to prove he can become a competent fighter.

But Victorian boxing officials will still have to decide whether they allow him to return to the ring. It will be no surprise if they refuse.

Tuck, 33, who played 173 AFL games between 2004-13, was brutally knocked out by another rookie, Victorian Lucas Miller, in the fourth and final round at the Melbourne Convention Centre on November 11.

The son of AFL games record-holder Michael Tuck was carried out of the ring on a stretcher, still unconscious several minutes after a powerful right to the head ended a contest in which he had already absorbed considerable punishment.

After coming to in the dressing room he was taken by ambulance to The Alfred hospital where doctors refused his daily requests to be allowed to go home.

There were immediate fears Tuck had suffered life-threatening injuries as he laid face-down without moving while ring doctor Peter Lewis called for oxygen.

Speaking about it for the first time, Tuck revealed he should never have gone through with the engagement after copping a heavy hit to the head while sparring 12 days earlier.

“That left me feeling nauseous and crook,” Tuck said.

“I knew I wasn’t right but I felt I could still fight the fight and do well.

“But my trainer from Adelaide, Rod Davies, didn’t even come to Melbourne because he didn’t think I would make it into the ring.

“My main reason was I didn’t want to be an AFL footballer saying he was going to have a fight and then pull out.

“I thought bugger it, regardless of what happens I’m going to go through with it.

“If I had been smart about it I could have pulled out and fought a couple of months later. I completely and utterly stuffed up.

“I never missed a footy game for anything short of a broken bone and I didn’t want to let people down by missing this.”

Tuck’s former teammate Kayne Pettifer had one fight about a year ago, won it, and has not been back for another.

Former Western Bulldogs and Sydney star Barry Hall made a few noises about getting into the ring but never did.

Several high-profile rugby league players have dabbled in it with varying degrees of success.

Tuck, who had only three amateur fights as preparation, has angered the Victorian Professional Boxing and Combat Sports Board by not disclosing the training injury.

“We are very annoyed about that,” chairman Bernie Balmer said on Tuesday.

“We will be looking at him extremely carefully before he is allowed to fight again.”

Tuck admits his father is not keen on him going again but says his mother Fay — a sister of the famous footballing Abletts — was happy for him to continue.

Asked why he wanted to, he said: “I love doing it. I wanted to prove to myself I could do it. I don’t think I’ll be able to sit back and be happy (without another fight.)

“But I’m not going to rush into anything. I’ll take a few months off and next time I’ll do it right, be 100 per cent ready to go.

“Having only ever fought amateurs I underestimated it. The pros are much different. If you go in not right you can get hurt.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/shane-tuck-hasnt-given-up-on-his-boxing-career-and-vows-to-get-back-in-the-ring/news-story/a8d2deb09c6374bb9a2fdf7b02ab71d1

Offline Petey

• Bad
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • SgtAA of OER
Re: Shane tuck
« Reply #91 on: December 08, 2015, 07:01:27 PM »
Good luck mate

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #92 on: December 08, 2015, 07:06:37 PM »
Stop it Tucky.

Just go play local footy where people will love you like RFC did.

Tough man, nothing to prove...

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #93 on: December 08, 2015, 07:15:31 PM »
Who's ring but?
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #94 on: December 08, 2015, 07:43:40 PM »
Taking up a career in boxing at 33 is just looking for trouble. With one severe concussion already, he cannot afford any more. I know he wants to do it, but sometimes you have to think of those around you when making these decisions. They are the ones that are going to suffer most picking up the pieces if he sustains long term brain damage. He needs to think about this long and hard.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Petey

• Bad
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • SgtAA of OER
« Reply #95 on: December 08, 2015, 08:09:52 PM »
He's not taking up a career, just wanted to try his hand at it. I know you probably haven't played sports, but when you are good at a sport you're usually extremely competitive. He can box but made a mistake in his DEBUT. He's competitive and doesn't want that to be his only fight. It's redemption time

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #96 on: December 08, 2015, 09:08:17 PM »
He's not taking up a career, just wanted to try his hand at it. I know you probably haven't played sports, but when you are good at a sport you're usually extremely competitive. He can box but made a mistake in his DEBUT. He's competitive and doesn't want that to be his only fight. It's redemption time
Firstly when you fight professionally it actually means you are getting paid for it, so it is a career of sorts. He could just continue amateur boxing if he wanted to try his his hand at it.
If you call playing school footy till year 12 and 15 years of martial arts not sport, then you might be correct, but I call them competitive sport so I understand what he is going through. However, as Clint once famously said, "A man's gotta know his limitations" and I would have thought that the lesson he was taught recently would have made him realise his!

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #97 on: December 08, 2015, 09:18:44 PM »
Have to say I am staggered he intends to get back into the boxing ring

Staggered
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Petey

• Bad
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • SgtAA of OER
« Reply #98 on: December 08, 2015, 09:53:58 PM »
Firstly when you fight professionally it actually means you are getting paid for it, so it is a career of sorts. He could just continue amateur boxing if he wanted to try his his hand at it.
If you call playing school footy till year 12 and 15 years of martial arts not sport, then you might be correct, but I call them competitive sport so I understand what he is going through. However, as Clint once famously said, "A man's gotta know his limitations" and I would have thought that the lesson he was taught recently would have made him realise his!

If it's not his main source of income then it's not his career. And it ain't his main source of income and I know for a fact he's not trying to make a career out of this. It also doesn't surprise me he's getting back in the ring. It'd cut him pretty deep if his only fight was him being KO'd. He'll fight once or twice more, and he'll do fine IMO. He didn't disgrace himself in his pro fight, he made a silly error which he will most likely not make again.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #99 on: December 08, 2015, 10:50:44 PM »
Have to say I am staggered he intends to get back into the boxing ring

Staggered

I'm backing him
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #100 on: December 09, 2015, 01:19:47 AM »
Doesn't he know the golden rule? :facepalm Didn't he watch the movie?..... :banghead

http://movieweb.com/movie/million-dollar-baby/what-did-you-learn-tonight/
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #101 on: December 09, 2015, 09:01:39 AM »
If you give up after one set back you must have a very low bar and many limitations lol
Lots of people name their swords......

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #102 on: December 09, 2015, 09:39:38 AM »
If you give up after one set back you must have a very low bar and many limitations lol
The key thing here is that he isn't a 17 year old embarking on a boxing career. He is at an age where many boxers are considering retirement. At 17 you have the ability to learn and perfect new techniques. At 33 that is much much harder to do and your reflexes are starting to slow down alarmingly.
So if you have limitations at Tuck's age and he certainly has physical ones with his hearing already, they're only going to get worse not better, while a young person should not give up because they have a huge scope for improvement.
Just substitute boxing for footy. If you look like you are not going to cut it as a footy player at 33 even if it is just from one setback, nobody would EVER recruit you. This is because of exactly the same reasons as stated for boxing.

Offline Petey

• Bad
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • SgtAA of OER
« Reply #103 on: December 09, 2015, 09:46:48 AM »
Did you write B-Hop off when he lost to Jermain Taylor

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #104 on: December 09, 2015, 11:33:03 AM »
Did you write B-Hop off when he lost to Jermain Taylor
Lol! Tuck is hardly in the same league as "the Executioner".