Author Topic: Daniel Rioli [merged]  (Read 238241 times)

Offline Hes My Hero

• Premiership Captain
Re: Daniel Rioli [merged]
« Reply #270 on: August 20, 2016, 08:12:04 PM »
I am not a religious man.

But every night i pray to the Footy Gods that he never becomes "Dimmatised" :pray

Not only would it be a tragedy but an absolute blight on the RFC.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 08:32:10 PM by Hes My Hero »

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #271 on: August 20, 2016, 08:13:33 PM »
Rioli is so good and cant wait to see him throughout his career. Special :bow

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #272 on: August 20, 2016, 08:14:45 PM »
He will b a champion.

The club should sack dimmer just for his sake.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #273 on: August 20, 2016, 09:24:56 PM »
Shinny light is Daniel son

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #274 on: August 20, 2016, 09:27:09 PM »
He will b a champion.

The club should sack dimmer just for his sake.
Lol. We were saying this very thing at the footy today! :lol
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #275 on: August 20, 2016, 10:55:52 PM »
The kids are there....the coach isn't.....
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #276 on: August 20, 2016, 11:04:48 PM »
Round 1 I'll put my hand up and say I didn't think he was ready and didnt think he'd played well enough preseason to get s game

I was wrong

They got it roght playing this kid

A clear standout  / highlight of the debacle that is season 2017
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 09:36:48 AM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #277 on: August 21, 2016, 05:21:17 AM »
Daniel Rioli is a solitary sign of hope

On a day when the skill level was deplorable, Daniel Rioli stood out. He was clean, able to make clever intercepts and evade opponents when he had the ball. Not only did he kick two goals, but he provided run and looked like he was interested in competing.

By contrast, the Saints have a plethora of quality youngsters with Jack Billings, Blake Acres, Seb Ross, Tim Membrey and Jack Newnes all developing into handy AFL players.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-08-20/five-talking-points-richmond-v-st-kilda

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #278 on: August 21, 2016, 10:59:37 AM »
This kid will be something next year.. :thumbsup

Think he will probably take a bit more time than that...
I think this kid is making some people feel like they made a very early call...

Was sensational today and will be a star for many years.

Has come from nowhere this time last year to be one of our better players.  :clapping :clapping :clapping

Did you quote me to imply that I made a very early call? He played well yes and he has played some pretty good games of late. Just don't think we'll see enough consistency from him for a couple of years (as you'd expect) to claim "he'll be something next year". Think I posted a couple months back this kid will be 10x better when he gets a bit more strength. He was moving well but just couldn't wiggle out of some tackles that in a couple of years he'll shrug off like they're nothing.He showed yesterday that he's developing some strength to break tackles and it'll be exciting when he's developed :clapping

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #279 on: August 21, 2016, 11:36:46 PM »
In the dying moments of the game I REALLY felt for this kid.

In a similar way to how I feel for Rance having to give 110% every week and basically kill himself just to keep the team in the game.

Only I felt worse for Rioli being a first year player and only weighing 65kg. Made me sick to see developed players like Ellis repeatedly displaying their lack of courage while poor Daniel does the dirty work. stuffing shameful.

Kid is a gun!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 05:15:27 AM by one-eyed »

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #280 on: August 22, 2016, 08:38:56 AM »
One of the very few bright lights in a terrible season.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #281 on: August 22, 2016, 08:40:47 AM »
Kirby and Rioli would be nice....
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #282 on: August 22, 2016, 08:53:57 AM »
The club that keeps giving.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #283 on: December 19, 2016, 06:04:58 PM »
Rioli a mentor to indigenous mates

GLENN McFARLANE,
Herald Sun
19 December 2016

RICHMOND’S Daniel Rioli wants to build on his family’s deep connection to the game and has pledged to help his club’s commitment to the indigenous community.

The exciting 19-year-old, who was one of the few shining lights in the Tigers’ frustrating 2016 season, is already acting as a mentor to the indigenous small forward Shai Bolton.

He travelled to Perth as part of the welcoming party for Bolton and his family, and has given the Tigers’ first draft pick early guidance in the pre-season.

“The club has a great connection (to the indigenous community) and that’s why people really respect this club,” Rioli said this week.

“I had some good senior players like Shane Edwards help me settle into the club last year. At times I found it tough, but they made it a lot easier.

“When Shai was drafted, the club organised for me to go across to Perth and meet him and his family.

“He is a bit quiet but to see him out on the training track, he has got some great skills and I can’t wait to play with him in the future.”

Rioli played 18 games in a fine debut season. He won a Rising Star nomination in Round 22 and showed plenty of talent, highlighted by a brilliant goal he kicked against West Coast.

“I didn’t expect to play that many games in my first year, but it has given me confidence heading into next year,” he said.

“I would love to push into the midfield at some stage, but I just want to keep learning and I am still trying to put on some body mass.”

Rioli is keen to assist the Korin Gamadji Institute and the club’s links with regional Victorian Aboriginal communities, in its Next Generation Academy Program — the Richmond Academy.

He spent seven weeks of his off-season break back home on Melville Island, reconnecting with his family — including his father Bradley, who is Cyril’s first cousin, and his mother Belinda.

He will return later this week to celebrate Christmas with them.

“It’s so good to get back there,” Rioli said.

“I go out fishing, shooting or hunting every day. My dad is always asking me to go out, and I always say yes, even if I have been out training during the day in the hot sun.”

“We know everyone on the Tiwi Islands, so it is good to catch up with them all. It’s a great lifestyle. We live on small blocks surrounded by bush and nature, and it’s pretty laid-back.”

He shifted to Melbourne as a 14-year-old to attend St Patrick’s College in Ballarat, which led him on a pathway to the AFL. Now his younger brother Brayden might follow suit.

“He is probably a bit more into his rugby, but he loves his footy as well,” Daniel said.

“He goes to school in Darwin, and he is thinking of moving down and maybe going to St Pat’s or to school in Melbourne next year.”

FOOTY, THE GREAT MEETING PLACE

DANIEL Rioli and Mabior Chol come from vastly contrasting backgrounds, but football has brought them together as the closest of mates.

Rioli grew up in Melville Island, 80km north of Darwin, before attending school for a time in Darwin and moving to St Patrick’s College in Ballarat as a 14-year-old.

Chol was born in war-torn Sudan and spent two years in Egypt after fleeing his homeland, before moving to Queensland with his family in search of a better life when he was eight years old, in 2005.

Both came to Richmond before the 2016 season — Rioli via the national draft and Chol in the rookie draft — and for a time they moved in with coach Damien Hardwick and his family.

“Mabs is a great man,” Rioli said this week.

“We’ve got a great connection, even though we come from different backgrounds.

“We played footy together in the Allies team against the AFL Academy on Grand Final day (in 2015).”

“To get drafted at the same time was great. We’re really good mates now.”

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/daniel-rioli-a-mentor-to-indigenous-community-and-richmond-teammates/news-story/44584d5bfa530e10edfd8bc1acd5d6ad

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #284 on: December 19, 2016, 09:23:05 PM »
Seems like a sensational young fella