Author Topic: Daniel Rioli [merged]  (Read 236919 times)

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
Re: Daniel Rioli [merged]
« Reply #390 on: June 12, 2017, 12:41:06 PM »
Listing the Dogs tall midfielders and defenders does not support your position. No matter which way you slice it, they won the flag last year with a very small forward line, hence why I believe the "we need three tall forwards" argument is baloney.

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #391 on: June 12, 2017, 01:03:45 PM »
Height isn't everything. You talk about Bont going forward as a tall.

Give me our vertically challenged Dusty one out ahead of their Yao Ming.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #392 on: June 13, 2017, 10:16:27 AM »
Listing the Dogs tall midfielders and defenders does not support your position. No matter which way you slice it, they won the flag last year with a very small forward line, hence why I believe the "we need three tall forwards" argument is baloney.
even without those two mids they had more players above 190cm than Sydney.

so no they did not have a short fwd line and they did not field a short team. Their fwd line was not full of short players as has been pointed out they played three blokes of genuine height there and had another in bontompelli rotate thru there and play as a fwd.

If you were to say to me Sydney had TALLER fwds than WB  i would agree but to say the wb were short is stupidity.Since when has 192cm been considered anything but tall in this game.

Hawthorn have been the most succesful club for ages should we not learn from what they do.Seems to me when they were winning premierships they had three tall fwds roughead, schoenmakers gunston and played two ruckmen in Hale and McEvoy before 2015 they had Franklin Gunston Roughead.

Have you ever stopped to wonder why all clubs are forced to play three tall defenders?  we do it every week with Grimes Astbury and Rance we do it because in most cases there are three tall fwds that have to matched up on.
But hey 190cm plus is not tall and clubs dont structure this way ::)

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #393 on: June 13, 2017, 10:22:20 AM »
It's not just height tbough. It's how good their hands are above their head. As you said claw, Wood is only 187cm yet he plays tall. Other guys are taller but play short.
I think that we need one more quality tall in our forward zone who can give Nankervis a chop out. We are developing our own brand with lots of pace and pressure up forward. I think that's great because we are setting our own trend rather than a blatant copy of another team.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #394 on: June 13, 2017, 09:41:02 PM »
It's not just height tbough. It's how good their hands are above their head. As you said claw, Wood is only 187cm yet he plays tall. Other guys are taller but play short.
I think that we need one more quality tall in our forward zone who can give Nankervis a chop out. We are developing our own brand with lots of pace and pressure up forward. I think that's great because we are setting our own trend rather than a blatant copy of another team.
of course its not just about height i would have thought that is a given.Surely it is better to say grimes at 193 cm play on a bloke like cordy 192cm  than a bloke like Batchelor at 188cm be asked to do the job.
Surely in the name of flexability and all that it implies it would be better to have grimes play on say Richards 195cm  than Batchelor at 188cm your asking blokes to fight out of their division..
Your never going to play Grimes on say a bloke like Hawkins does that mean Grimes is a short or a tall who is not quite tall enough or more to the point  big enough to play kp but still a tall.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #395 on: June 14, 2017, 08:26:46 AM »
of course its not just about height i would have thought that is a given.Surely it is better to say grimes at 193 cm play on a bloke like cordy 192cm  than a bloke like Batchelor at 188cm be asked to do the job.
Surely in the name of flexability and all that it implies it would be better to have grimes play on say Richards 195cm  than Batchelor at 188cm your asking blokes to fight out of their division..
Your never going to play Grimes on say a bloke like Hawkins does that mean Grimes is a short or a tall who is not quite tall enough or more to the point  big enough to play kp but still a tall.
Grimes imo is considered a 3rd tall and not a KPD. He plays predominantly on medium or even small forwards like Eddie Betts.

The Bulldogs did have a small forwardline last year with their only real tall forwards in Stringer who plays more as a medium tall as he isn't a great overhead mark and extremely agile for a player of his size.
The other is Boyd who especially in the finals played more ruck/forward than forward/ruck.

Their forwardline is full of player like Picken, Dahlhaus, Jong, Daniel, Smith, Dickson and Dunkley all of which are small to medium forwards.

Cordy, Hamling, Roberts and even Roughead are defenders with Roughead play in the ruck as well.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #396 on: June 14, 2017, 10:39:10 AM »
Claw is having to loosen his definition of "tall" because his original theory of "you must play three talls in attack to win" isn't a very good one.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #397 on: June 14, 2017, 12:52:49 PM »
Claw is having to loosen his definition of "tall" because his original theory of "you must play three talls in attack to win" isn't a very good one.

I havent loosend a thing as a guide to seperate smalls mediums talls i have constantly given my idea on what is a tall small or medium.

By your definition Hawthorn had a small fwd line in 2015 with
Gunston 193cm, Shoenmakers 195cm and roughead 193cm. the dogs tall set up stacked  up very well to that of the dogs
Cordy 192cm Boyd 200cm Stringer 192cm.plus Bontompelli rotating thru there.
They both won premierships they both had THREE TALLS.

Your not big enough to concede the dogs players are actually talls but throw out the dumb argument that they arent 195cm plus so they are short.
What is irrefutable is they are talls but are not at the top end of the scale when it comes to talls.

Remember the Vickery debates and the 200cm fwd debates

I was constantly saying we cant play two blokes who are dinosaurswho are 200cm tall and are neither very good in either role we ask them to play. but we need three talls but they have to be in the lower spectrum of the tall scale have pace agility take a mark and offer some defensive attributes to the team.
So dont make poo up im not changing a thing.Playing three talls has been a constant with me.It just shows how small you are.
Its pointless having a debate with a bloke who is so small minded and shallow that he wont concede clear and obvious facts those facts are by anyones definition when classifying a tall boyd Stringer Cordy and Bontompelli are all talls.

from my observations a lot of clubs have actually gone to the Hawthorn model of three talls combined with three smalls who are quick and manic.We have taken it to the extreme where structure and flexabilty goes out the window where we play just one tall sometimes and at best two but one has to share ruck duties.
Some of this is due to us having poor tall stocks and some of it is due to the need to find enough players who will apply pressure both situations are not ideal.
Grimes imo is considered a 3rd tall and not a KPD. He plays predominantly on medium or even small forwards like Eddie Betts.

The Bulldogs did have a small forwardline last year with their only real tall forwards in Stringer who plays more as a medium tall as he isn't a great overhead mark and extremely agile for a player of his size.
The other is Boyd who especially in the finals played more ruck/forward than forward/ruck.

Their forwardline is full of player like Picken, Dahlhaus, Jong, Daniel, Smith, Dickson and Dunkley all of which are small to medium forwards.

Cordy, Hamling, Roberts and even Roughead are defenders with Roughead play in the ruck as well.

Isnt that what i said Grimes is a third TALL  ::) He has genuine height at 193cm a whopping 1/2 inch  taller than Stringer and a whopping 1 inch shorter than Richards.Stringer  who actually played kp for them because of injuries to blokes like redpath who would only be 1 inch taller than stringer at 194cm.
Cordy played as a fwd for them because of those injuries.

Roughhead used to be a defender who has become a servicable competitive ruckman for them who is 199cm about the norm nowdays for a ruckman.
Hamling Roberts are both 195cm plus and they used Morris  at 190cm as the third tall who also provided run.

Dunkley is 189cm Ling Jong is 188cm Picken 184cm and Dickson is 184cm all mediums. Dalhaus played midfield and has predominately played there for a while now and the same goes for Daniel who plays predominately as a mid.
Its a fact they had heaps of guys who you would classify as genuine talls even Dunkley has grown and is now 190cm plus.
FMD Sydneys Grundy is only 192cm and no one questions weather hes a tall or not.Hes TALL who happens to play kpd because he has the size to go with the adequate height to play that role

Their G/f side lined up like this
Cordy 192cm - Stringer 192cm - Dunkley 189cm
smith 181cm - Boyd 200cm - Dickson 184cm

I dont see a lot of runts in that fwd line do you.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #398 on: June 15, 2017, 10:59:23 AM »
Height isn't everything. You talk about Bont going forward as a tall.

Give me our vertically challenged Dusty one out ahead of their Yao Ming.

awww fucksakes I got coffee all over my screen again
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #399 on: June 25, 2017, 07:51:24 PM »
That's got to hurt! AFL star suffers horrific injury dislocating his finger during the game

Aussie Rules star Daniel Rioli has suffered a horrific dislocated finger
    Richmond Tigers forward left field in agony during match on Sunday afternoon
    Rioli had finger snapped back into place and returned to field minutes later

By Sam McPhee
Daily Mail Australia
25 June 2017 | Updated: 18:47pm

Aussie Rules star Daniel Rioli has suffered a horrific dislocated finger during an AFL match on Sunday afternoon.

The Richmond Tigers forward was seen leaving the field in agony holding his hand after a contest against Carlton at the MCG.

Aussie Rules star Daniel Rioli has suffered a horrific dislocated finger during an AFL match on Sunday afternoon

The 20-year-old could be seen grimacing in agony as he left the field to be treated mid-way through the third quarter.

Cameras did not show the extremity being put back in place, but Rioli re-emerged on the field just minutes later.

Fans reacted on Twitter as they saw the distressed starlet walk to the sideline.

Rioli was goalless on the day and had a contender for mark of the season controversially taken away from him.

The high-flyer took off on Dale Thomas for the screamer, but umpires ruled he pushed off and award a free kick to the Carlton midfielder.

Richmond went on to win the match by 26 points and further stake their claims for a top four finish.

Finger injuries are common in the AFL because players are frequently catching the ball away from their body.

The 20-year-old is one of the rising stars of the AFL and is already a key member of Richmond's finals-bound team.

A unique mix of flair and strength combined with youthful confidence has made Rioli a fan favourite.

He is a member of one of the AFL's most celebrated families, the Rioli family, which features three-time premiership winner Cyril, the late and legendary Maurice, former Essendon Bomber Michael Long and his son Jake.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4636940/AFL-star-suffers-horrific-dislocated-finger-game.html#ixzz4l0EX8hlZ

Ruanaidh

« Reply #400 on: June 25, 2017, 08:02:24 PM »
What hyperbolic crud.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #401 on: June 25, 2017, 10:47:20 PM »
Gnarly photo but

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #402 on: June 25, 2017, 10:53:35 PM »
Standard dislocation by the look of it. The writer must not of had or seen many dislocated fingers.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #403 on: June 26, 2017, 10:20:51 AM »
There is a good demonstration of them in Blade Runner at the end
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #404 on: June 26, 2017, 11:12:42 PM »
Another game where we have not got a hell of a lot from this kid apart from a bit of pressure..He really needs to start finding some ball.Same can be said for most of the small fwds.