Author Topic: Daniel Rioli [merged]  (Read 232088 times)

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Daniel Rioli [merged]
« Reply #465 on: September 10, 2017, 04:29:49 PM »
Cbf, maybe later

tony_montana

« Reply #466 on: September 10, 2017, 04:33:39 PM »
Cbf, maybe later

Save it, it was a rhetorical question. Not interested in reading a response that will obviously be full of poo  :)

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #467 on: September 10, 2017, 04:35:29 PM »
Cbf, maybe later

Save it, it was a rhetorical question. Not interested in reading a response that will obviously be full of poo  :)

What's with the pooty attitude?

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #468 on: September 10, 2017, 04:55:44 PM »
CBF? Centre back forward?
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

tony_montana

« Reply #469 on: September 10, 2017, 05:12:01 PM »
Cbf, maybe later

Interesting take - bc I disagree with your summation I must have a crappy attitude

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #470 on: September 10, 2017, 05:35:43 PM »
Another typical Daniel Rioli game. No goals,  3 kicks and about 3 missed tackles.

I would just like to know how his game last night is any different than George's?

Both were poor and both imo should not be dropped but how are they any different?

I must have read 6 or 7 posters saying how poor George was and how he should be replaced but nothing on Rioli. Why is that?

Can anyone answer that logically?

They are there for pressure acts and tackles inside F50 the three do their job.
All were a little over-awed early and were not clean and were fumbly but that may have been more to do with the pressure from Geelong too. The game was pretty hot with little scoring opportunity until it opened up in the last.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #471 on: September 13, 2017, 05:47:08 PM »
Cbf, maybe later

Interesting take - bc I disagree with your summation I must have a pooty attitude

Geez, what's with the trolling? You never disagreed you simply said that my response would be full of poo. That ain't disagreeing lad, that's baiting

tony_montana

« Reply #472 on: September 13, 2017, 07:07:18 PM »
Cbf, maybe later

Interesting take - bc I disagree with your summation I must have a pooty attitude

Geez, what's with the trolling? You never disagreed you simply said that my response would be full of poo. That ain't disagreeing lad, that's baiting

Wasnt baiting. I was disagreeing with your view that Rioli plays a much more difficult role than Castagna. All 3 small fwds play a tough role and Id argue castagna plays the toughest of the lot given that he plays a more front and square classic fwd pocket role than the other 2 who have a bit more of a licence to roam

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #473 on: September 13, 2017, 07:47:47 PM »
Wasnt baiting. I was disagreeing with your view that Rioli plays a much more difficult role than Castagna. All 3 small fwds play a tough role and Id argue castagna plays the toughest of the lot given that he plays a more front and square classic fwd pocket role than the other 2 who have a bit more of a licence to roam

Was referring more to this reply

But it's water under the bridge.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #474 on: September 23, 2017, 02:20:02 PM »
Richmond’s Daniel Rioli gearing up for big game against GWS in AFL preliminary final

GREY MORRIS,
NT News
23 September 2017

THERE was a time, 35 years ago, when Daniel Rioli’s grandfather, the late and great Maurice Rioli won the Norm Smith Medal as the best player on the ground, despite his Tigers losing to Carlton.

Fast forward to 2017 and 20-year-old Rioli is only one win away from emulating his grandfather’s appearance on Australian football’s greatest day.

The 15th pick in the 2015 national draft, Rioli will play his 42nd game in the famous No. 17 in today’s preliminary final against GWS.

“There’s been a little bit of hype about it,’’ the Tiwi Islander from Garden Point on Melville Island told the NT News.

“But it’s been good having the Rioli name, even though I’m just taking it day by day, week by week as I soak it all in.

“One thing’s for sure, I can’t wait to run out in a final again and yes, it will be unreal to have the No. 17 out on the MCG on grand final day.’’

A Rioli on AFL grand final day has a ring of mystique about it. Maurice in 1982, uncle Dean with Essendon in 2001 and not forgetting his cousin, Cyril “Junior Boy’’ Rioli’s exploits on the game’s greatest stage.

A Norm Smith Medal and four premiership medallions set a standard the family members coming after him are in awe of.

“I get asked the question of expectation a lot because of the Rioli name,’’ Daniel said. “The truth is I’m loving it down here, not being too fussed about any expectations.

“Maurice, Dean and Cyril all made names for themselves, now it’s my turn and my cousin Willie at West Coast as well.

“He was close to getting a call-up this season, but I’m sure he’ll get a game next year and we’ll have three Riolis in the AFL.’’

Daniel remembers leaving home six years ago to attend boarding school at St Patrick’s College in Ballarat, a decision that changed his life.

“My message to all the young blokes on the Tiwi Islands is to balance your life, both in sport and education,’’ he said.

“Yes you have to work hard, but for myself it all started when I got sent away.

“My mum (Belinda) told me that when I was very young and got sent away to further my footy and my school to stick it out and it was the best advice I ever got,’’ he said.

“If it wasn’t for mum and dad (Bradley) and the people who helped me get to St Pat’s College, I wouldn’t be here today and I want the kids on the Tiwis to remember that.

“It’s hard for people on the islands where you are pretty much isolated from everyone else, but you have got to stick everything out, stick with the processes and anything can happen.

“OK you can love your footy, but there is school as well and it’s important to try and balance them both and you’ll find everything else will take care of itself.’’

A finalist in the goal of the year for his clever snap against West Coast mid season, Rioli is having a ball in the Richmond forward line.

“I’ve got the likes of Jack Riewoldt down there, a big tall forward and you’ve got Shane Edwards who plays in the midfield and goes forward to give me a chop out to go on the wing for a bit.

“And I enjoy playing forward with Jason Castagna and Dan Butler, it’s been good and kicking goals is a bonus and a really good feeling.’’

And the goal against West Coast that could land him the goal of the year award?

“I don’t think I’ve ever kicked a goal like that in my life, it will go down in my book as one of the best I’ve done.

“I’ve probably done it in the back yard heaps of times, but never on camera.’’

Rioli is still coming to grips with the 95,000 fans that crammed into the MCG for the qualifying final against Geelong.

“It was unbelievable, something I never experienced before after playing in front of maybe 50 or 100 people on the islands,’’ he said.

Rioli knows his extended family will be watching his every move against the Giants tonight. “I’ll be representing my family and friends and the rest of the NT and I’m pretty proud about that,’’ he said.

“Hopefully we can get to the GF, but as I said it’s a week by week process that will end on grand final day.’’

http://www.ntnews.com.au/sport/local-afl/richmonds-daniel-rioli-gearing-up-for-big-game-against-gws-in-afl-preliminary-final/news-story/bc44eff9c063486ec6487530864a9ff7

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #475 on: September 23, 2017, 07:45:02 PM »
Absolute jet

dwaino

« Reply #476 on: September 23, 2017, 07:46:34 PM »
Stuffing hell.  :bow

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #477 on: September 23, 2017, 07:50:34 PM »
Gee how good is Rioli mwahahahaha
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #478 on: September 23, 2017, 07:52:54 PM »
And he is only a 20yo.

:cheers

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #479 on: September 23, 2017, 07:56:03 PM »
2. Rioli destined to be a September star

Two of his relatives have Norm Smith Medals in the cupboard, with uncle Maurice (1982) and cousin Cyril (2015) excelling on Grand Final day, and the way Daniel torched the Giants, he wouldn't be a silly bet to join them next week. The 20-year-old booted two goals in the first half and added two more when the Tigers kicked away to a match-winning 31-point lead at three-quarter-time, mixing up his work with goals from a set shot, a cool finish on the run, and two trademark snaps around the body. Just as Cyril has built his own reputation on doing plenty of work in both the offensive and defensive sides of the game, Rioli added six tackles to make his contribution even more valuable to the rampaging Tigers.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-09-23/rioli-destined-to-be-a-september-star