Author Topic: Daniel Rioli [merged]  (Read 232036 times)

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Daniel Rioli [merged]
« Reply #690 on: July 07, 2018, 03:47:38 PM »
Gun  :gotigers.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #691 on: July 08, 2018, 01:43:41 PM »
Daniel Rioli shows similar qualities to cousin Cyril Rioli and could carve out similar dazzling career

CHRIS CAVANAGH,
Herald Sun
July 7, 2018

THERE was a sense of sadness across the football world this week with the retirement of Hawthorn star Cyril Rioli.

Talkback radio was flooded with calls paying tribute to the four-time premiership star, who had an almost unmatched ability to impact a game with so few disposals.

But those missing Cyril need do no more than attend or tune into a Richmond game and watch his cousin Daniel Rioli go about it.

On Friday night the Tigers small forward again showed similar qualities to Cyril with his pressure and game sense and kicked two quality goals from just 12 disposals.

Still just 21 years old, Daniel Rioli could well go on to carve out just as decorated and celebrated career as his older cousin.

He has now kicked 42 goals from his first 46 AFL games — just eight fewer than Cyril at the same time in his career — and, as Richmond coach Damien Hardwick said earlier this year, there are still plenty of areas for growth.

“Daniel’s a different type of player (to Cyril), with his aerobic capacity,” Hardwick said.

“I think he’s probably only scratching the surface of where he’s at as a half-forward.

“I’ve got no doubt he’ll push in the midfield at some stage when he gets a little bit bigger.

“So, he’ll make his own name, I’ve got no doubt.”

Friday night was by no means the best game of Rioli’s career but it was just his third game back from a broken foot.

Tigers fans — and the wider AFL community — should be very excited for what lies ahead.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/daniel-rioli-shows-similar-qualities-to-cousin-cyril-rioli-and-could-carve-out-similar-dazzling-career/news-story/07cf4800b738a032c0955ddfd74e027b

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #692 on: July 09, 2018, 02:41:02 PM »
“I couldn’t help but watch the game [Friday night] and think he’s a Rioli Mark 3, isn’t he!” Leigh Matthews said.

“Cyril was a unique package . . . we spoke about it for the last few days. But Daniel Rioli, he’s got a similar package of attributes as a young player.

“It’s really quite amazing, last night you couldn’t help but think, could there be another Cyril?

“We think there couldn’t be another of that actual type, because he is a unique type, Cyril Rioli. But, hey, Daniel’s a very similar package.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2018-07-09/lethal-lauds-tiger-rioli

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #693 on: July 18, 2018, 01:51:37 AM »
In Rioli's four games back, the speedy, silky-skilled small forward has averaged 12.5 disposals and five tackles per match and he’s kicked a total of seven goals. Most importantly, he’s added that vital defensive pressure to the Tigers’ front half.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2018-07-17/tiger-duos-ripping-return

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #694 on: July 20, 2018, 11:45:36 AM »
From Damian Barrett's 'Sliding Doors' column:

IF ... we knew he could seriously play after what we saw in 2017, particularly with four goals in a prelim final ...

THEN ... somehow in just four games in 2018 we have come to realise Daniel Rioli is even better than we had thought.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-07-20/sliding-doors-round-18

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #695 on: July 21, 2018, 12:21:19 AM »
According to the AFL website, Rioli had 6 score involvements.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #696 on: July 21, 2018, 11:24:44 AM »
Pure class
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #697 on: August 01, 2018, 01:49:26 PM »
Dan's 50th week  :clapping.

2016   18 games
2017   25 games
2018    7* games
--------------------
Total   50* games

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/D/Daniel_Rioli.html

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #698 on: August 01, 2018, 02:15:19 PM »
With many more to come! :gotigers

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #699 on: August 03, 2018, 01:28:21 AM »
Tiger hopes for another Grand Final call to cousin

Jennifer Phelan
afl.com.au
Aug 2, 2018 9:12PM

SHOULD the Tigers line up in the Grand Final, there's something Daniel Rioli will make sure he repeats from last year's pre-match routine ahead of the decider.

He'll find a quiet moment in the hours before the game and make a phone call to his cousin, four-time premiership Hawk Cyril, to help settle his nerves.

In 2017 their chat centered around how Rioli, then aged 20 and on the cusp of just his 43rd game, should approach the biggest moment in his short career.

And it helped, with a calm and centered Rioli bringing his famous run-and-chase pressure to the Tigers' historic win before he suffered a broken foot late in the game.

"I was in the locker room and just gave Cyril a quick call," Rioli told AFL.com.au this week, as he prepared for his 50th AFL game.

"He gave me a little bit of advice about how to go out there and just play footy, play your normal role and really just have fun."

It made sense for Rioli to consult his talented cousin, who played in five Grand Finals before his surprise retirement in July this year.

Likewise, there'll be no one better to offer further tips on how to approach a potential back-to-back scenario this year, given Cyril played in consecutive flags between 2013-15.

"For sure, I'll definitely call him again if that does happen and it'll be a dream come true if it does happen back to back," Daniel Rioli said.

"He's been there and done that, so I'll definitely give him a call."

A foot injury saw Daniel Rioli chaired around the ground on captain Trent Cotchin's shoulders. Picture: AFL Photos

Cyril's decision was tough on Rioli, but he said he knew it was the right one for the 189-game Hawk and his family to move back to Darwin.

The young Tiger said he hoped the game wouldn't be entirely lost on the 29-year-old and that he'd continue playing at some level.

"We hope so, we'd love that and all the AFL fanatics would love that," he said.

"Even if it's not the AFL, it could be back home on the Tiwi Islands or in Darwin for [NTFL] club St Mary's."

Rioli, who is fast gathering a highlights reel of his own in his career to date, said he hoped he – and other Riolis – could continue to uphold the family's legacy within the game.

"I'm certainly going to miss him and all the magic he provided," he said.

"The MCG isn't going to be the same without him on weekends but I'm hoping myself, Willie Rioli at West Coast and down the track hopefully Maurice Junior [who can be drafted in 2020] coming along will make him and our family proud."

Rioli's first milestone match would have come a lot quicker had he not missed half of this season with the foot he broke late in last year's Grand Final.

It happened when Adelaide defender Luke Brown accidentally trod on it as the two ran along the boundary in the final quarter.

Rioli wasn't sure what he'd done so he hobbled to the bench, but he didn't expect to later be told he'd actually done some serious damage.

"One of the coaches told me to go back on for the last five minutes or so and I tried getting up off the bench … I knew something was wrong because I couldn't walk," he recalled.

He needed surgery in the week after the game and spent the Tigers' premiership celebrations on crutches.

After the operation, he went home to the Tiwi Islands to recuperate and quietly soak up the reality of the team's achievement.

"To win a Grand Final and know you've achieved something you wanted to achieve as a kid, took away the pain a little bit," he said.

"I went back home to the nice, warm weather and enjoyed it with my family and friends.

"Knowing you're a premiership player and to go back home, you feel good about yourself and just enjoy life, really."

It's been a somewhat unexpected long road back from that summer. Throughout pre-season, Rioli initially thought he'd play in round one.

But, he had another operation in early 2018 to remove plates and didn't start running until January.

To avoid piling unnecessary pressure on the talented youngster, no fixed return date was set and Rioli went from week to week with the simple direction to focus on his recovery.

His patience could have been tested when he was kept in the VFL for four games from late May, but rewarded when his AFL return in round 13 saw him bounce straight back to his best with an impressive goal Damien Hardwick described as "an incredible piece of Richmond footy".

"I was hungry to be back out there, I just wanted to play again," he said.

"You just have to let the injury process heal itself.

"I was lucky enough to not miss the whole season with that injury, so to be back finally playing halfway through the season is pretty special.

"Now it's like a normal foot and I'm running around and enjoying my footy … I'm still taping it but there's nothing wrong with it and I'm enjoying playing again."

"I'm enjoying getting a win on the board as well, and it's now my 50th game so hopefully we'll get a win for that."

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #700 on: August 03, 2018, 09:13:55 PM »
Off song at the moment.

dwaino

« Reply #701 on: August 03, 2018, 10:50:16 PM »
Reckon we're not getting any more out of him this year. Needs a proper pre-season to bounce back next year.

Online Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #702 on: August 04, 2018, 02:27:09 AM »
He's going alright. Vital as ever. :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #703 on: August 13, 2018, 11:31:51 AM »
Rioli had an AFL career-high 25 disposals in last Saturday’s victory over Gold Coast.

The 21-year-old is averaging 14.1 disposals per game in his eight senior appearances this season and has kicked a total of nine goals.

Full article: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2018-08-13/rioli-running-right-into-form

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #704 on: August 13, 2018, 11:36:45 AM »
It just wasn't the amount of possessions but the way Rioli "massages" the ball in congestion to get those possessions that had me smiling. Deft touches and knocks on. Thing of beauty to have the skill to do that so consistently.