Author Topic: Daniel Rioli [merged]  (Read 238883 times)

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Daniel Rioli [merged]
« Reply #930 on: March 29, 2021, 01:55:28 PM »
I agree that he needs to get more of the ball.

But had he kicked a couple of those goals yesterday - that to be fair he would normally nail - I dont think we'd be having this discussion.

Not sure about that.

A few of us were critical of him last week despite his 2 goals. Same with Aarts. Only different is that Aarts' limitation is probably ability, not effort.

I was one of those critical last week, said at the game the goals will hide the lack of intensity,  pressure

That’s the main thing for me. While many have been critical of Castagna in the past I’ve always defended him in that you can never fault his effort.  He’s pretty clearly in my eyes our best small forward and has added a few strings to his bow, most notably getting involved up the field and has surprisingly been nailing his shots this season. I don’t think you could consistently say the same for butler in 2018-2019 or Rioli post 2017. Both are more skilled players than george but just seem to be going through the motions at times.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #931 on: March 29, 2021, 03:36:14 PM »
Really cant see any reason why we just dont rotate the smalls we have Edwards, Bolton, Graham Lambert all  of whom have played in the fwd line anyway. How many do we need there is still Aarts and Castagna as well. Just drop him and bring in another midfield option like Ross or get some games into RCD.

Caddy playing wing continues to make me laugh as well.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #932 on: April 13, 2021, 01:26:52 PM »
Three-time premiership forward Daniel Rioli performed well in the VFL, and Hardwick leapt to his defence when questions were raised about Rioli’s consistency.

“He’s a little bit hard to judge. Daniel plays a really specific role that doesn’t require him to get 15 kicks and three goals,” Hardwick said.

“What it is, it’s very mentally draining for him to play that role week in, week out. Sometimes he needs to go back just to freshen up and find the footy a little bit for his own piece of mind

“We judge this kid off [fantasy] points, but what we judge him on is win/loss. And he’s got three premiership medals to represent that so from our point of view Daniel plays a really specific role and he plays it very, very well.”

Source: The Age

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #933 on: April 13, 2021, 01:32:38 PM »
WHAT DANIEL RIOLI NEEDS TO DO TO GET BACK TO HIS BEST

SEN
13 April 2021

Richmond small forward Daniel Rioli hasn’t quite made the leap after a hot start to his AFL career.

The 23-year-old has been a regular in the Tigers side since his debut season in 2016, but has found himself on the outer in 2021.

Rioli has only played the three games this season, one as the sub.

Justin Leppitsch worked closely with the small forward early in his career and believes he needs to find his defensive “spark”.

“I coached him first-hand in 2017 and 2018 and he actually hurt himself in the Grand Final in 2017, but he had a fantastic season that year and built his game off the back of pressure and intent,” Leppitsch told SEN’s Whateley.

“He took a while to get back from that foot injury, but it has been a disappointing year. He’s been the sub, he’s been dropped again.

“It is a bit of a concern that Daniel hasn’t got that defensive spark back because he’s a fantastic player and a fantastic kid.

“Jack Higgins and Dan Butler have left the building so you’re sort of saying Daniel Rioli is in front of those two, so they’ve backed him in from a list positioning and where they’ve rated him ahead of those guys.

“Internally they love him, but it’s just about him getting back to his defensive best I think.”

Rioli starred for the Tigers in the VFL last weekend, picking up 17 disposals and laying six tackles.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/04/12/what-daniel-rioli-needs-to-do-to-get-back-to-his-best/

Offline Buddysucks

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #934 on: April 13, 2021, 03:17:30 PM »
Hard to apply defensive pressure inside 50 when he is the high HF.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #935 on: April 13, 2021, 04:39:09 PM »
Will be rushed back in by Hardwick and co as he is clearly a club favorite despite all the lousy performances.

How dumb does Hardwick think we are. (can fool some of the supporters most of the time, sorry dumma  but not all supporters).
No one is judging him on fantasy points how disrespectful to Thinking supporters. We can all see he is offering very little both Offensively and Defensively.

We can all see he has gone backwards at a rate of knots since 2017 and thats not saying a lot because imo he didnt offer a hell of a lot to begin with. The Dan Rioli myth and how good he was continues to grow.

His cousin was criticised for similar things early days but fmd it really is chalk and cheese the overall out put between the two over their first 5 seasons.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #936 on: April 16, 2021, 04:59:07 AM »
How did well all see Rioli's return to the side?

12 disposals (6k, 6h, 3c, 9u, 75% eff.)
2 marks
5 tackles
1 clearance
1 inside 50
235m gained
6 score involvements
1 goal assist
2 goals
84% gametime

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #937 on: April 16, 2021, 06:47:46 AM »
Much better.

5 tackles should be the benchmark of he's a pressure forward.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #938 on: April 16, 2021, 07:01:00 AM »
An improvement
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #939 on: April 16, 2021, 08:53:28 AM »
Much better! Still very fumbly with his touch but as long as he keeps up that tackling and defensive pressure inside our forward 50 then he’s a lock in our best side.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #940 on: April 16, 2021, 10:45:10 AM »
Have not watched the whole game yet apart from the last quarter and a half. In that time did not notice  him impact the game in any way.

Stats suggest he improved a bit especially 5 tackles and kicking two goals. Interesting stat  is he is only credited with one tackle inside 50.

Even when i watch the whole game i dont  want to be critical, to win by 85 they clearly had an easy ride and did what they had to do.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #941 on: April 16, 2021, 04:59:12 PM »
All our forwards (except Lynch) were much better with their pressure including Rioli.

It’s a good start.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #942 on: April 19, 2021, 02:07:38 PM »
Dan brings up his ton on Saturday night  :clapping.

2016    18
2017    25 ..... + premiership
2018    12
2019    22 ..... + premiership
2020    18 ..... + premiership
2021      5*
---------------
Total   100*

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/D/Daniel_Rioli.html

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #943 on: April 19, 2021, 04:15:57 PM »
Dan needs to have run in the middle / wing from time to time.
Titch was a forward only at the beginning but needed to get his hands on the ball more to become the star he is.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #944 on: April 19, 2021, 09:08:18 PM »
Much better.

5 tackles should be the benchmark of he's a pressure forward.
Lol had 5 tackles but imo spent more time in the midfield and only one tackle was inside fifty. Would have been more but he is so pee weak his tackles are not effective. Gotta ask is this bloke playing scared?
Fmd he is supposed to be classy yet most of the game all i saw him falling over fumbling horribly always late to the contest and avoiding contact.
Can not stand this bloke atm because he is a pretender.