Author Topic: Daniel Rioli [merged]  (Read 238727 times)

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Daniel Rioli [merged]
« Reply #1230 on: August 11, 2023, 04:18:23 PM »
Geez not sure where you blokes are coming from. Dont think ive bagged him since the move to the hb line.

Correct, it was the many years that he wasnt hbf where you persistently bagged the crap out of him

And rightfully so he was shizen. I have no problems standing by those comments and if he ever reverts to playing like that i will bag the crap out of him again. I was calling for him to tried in another role well before they made the move to hb.
If he has a shocker in his current role i will call it for what it is a shocker.If he has too many bad games in a row i will call for him to be dropped.
Thats what we all do here its basically a running commentary on performance.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1231 on: August 11, 2023, 08:36:46 PM »
Geez not sure where you blokes are coming from. Dont think ive bagged him since the move to the hb line.

Correct, it was the many years that he wasnt hbf where you persistently bagged the crap out of him

And rightfully so he was shizen. I have no problems standing by those comments and if he ever reverts to playing like that i will bag the crap out of him again. I was calling for him to tried in another role well before they made the move to hb.
If he has a shocker in his current role i will call it for what it is a shocker.If he has too many bad games in a row i will call for him to be dropped.

Your ability to bag the crap out of a young and developing player is a credit to your mentality

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #1232 on: August 11, 2023, 09:52:09 PM »
 :rollin

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1233 on: August 12, 2023, 11:46:38 AM »

Your ability to bag the crap out of a young and developing player is a credit to your mentality

Thank you very much chucky boy its been my pleasure and glad you appreciate honesty.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1234 on: August 12, 2023, 12:52:13 PM »

Thank you very much chucky boy its been my pleasure and glad you appreciate honesty.

You were right though.

As a small forward he went a bit backwards or at least stopped improving.

Anyway the move has done him wonders but now we're lacking in quality small forwards. Boo

Offline Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #1235 on: August 12, 2023, 10:11:07 PM »

From Damian Barrett's 'Sliding Doors' column:

IF ... we knew he could seriously play after what we saw in 2017, particularly with four goals in a prelim final ...

THEN ... somehow in just four games in 2018 we have come to realise Daniel Rioli is even better than we had thought.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-07-20/sliding-doors-round-18
He was far from "Shizen" even after missing most of early 2018 he was getting these sorts of reviews regularly.  It's very interesting going back and reading some of the early part of some threads. It's amazing how wrong some of the posters were (me included). He did have a bit of a slump a year or so after but then was moved back. His progression since then has been great. 

Oh, and I don't rate Barrett's comments highly, it was just an example of the comments in Daniel's 3rd year after missing most of 6 months with a broken foot.
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1236 on: August 13, 2023, 02:29:00 PM »

Nailed him Chuckie.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1237 on: August 13, 2023, 07:53:07 PM »

From Damian Barrett's 'Sliding Doors' column:

IF ... we knew he could seriously play after what we saw in 2017, particularly with four goals in a prelim final ...

THEN ... somehow in just four games in 2018 we have come to realise Daniel Rioli is even better than we had thought.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-07-20/sliding-doors-round-18
He was far from "Shizen" even after missing most of early 2018 he was getting these sorts of reviews regularly.  It's very interesting going back and reading some of the early part of some threads. It's amazing how wrong some of the posters were (me included). He did have a bit of a slump a year or so after but then was moved back. His progression since then has been great. 

Oh, and I don't rate Barrett's comments highly, it was just an example of the comments in Daniel's 3rd year after missing most of 6 months with a broken foot.

Lol he was shizen he hardly strung two good games together after 2017 and in the end the CLUB had to try and save his career by playing across hb.

As for bagging him i went thru the thread and apart from calling out poor games i didnt make too many comments on him and the games he played in until late 2019 2020..

The interesting one for me was just how many also thought he was poor and were harsher in their commentary.

The actual truth is as a forward he was mostly ordinary praised for his defensive pressure because most of the time their was little else.

It really is not my problem that supporters get so invested in players and cannot find it in themselves to be honest about performance.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1238 on: October 30, 2023, 01:30:53 AM »
Daniel has become a youtuber.

https://www.youtube.com/@rollingwithrioli

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1239 on: February 05, 2024, 12:32:37 AM »
Richmond’s new ‘Mr Fix-it’? How premiership Tiger can still evolve

Richmond dasher Daniel Rioli says new coach Adem Yze has dangled the carrot of some midfield time as a shock weapon like cousin Cyril Rioli...

Paywall: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-2024-daniel-rioli-talks-shaking-off-injury-possible-midfield-move-maurice-rioli/news-story/8c6661d04e8c84ce1ccea3f8b8ce105c

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1240 on: February 05, 2024, 08:26:47 AM »
The true successor to shame edwards. Maybe not the same level with his hands but his kicking and run!!!!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1241 on: February 08, 2024, 12:37:19 AM »
The full article:

Daniel Rioli talks shaking off injury, possible midfield move, Maurice Rioli​

After a battling 2023, Richmond dasher Daniel Rioli is looking ahead to exciting times under new coach Adem Yze, which could involve a different role in the Tiger team.

Jon Ralph
HeraldSun
Feb 4, 2024

Richmond dasher Daniel Rioli says new coach Adem Yze has dangled the carrot of some midfield time as a shock weapon like cousin Cyril Rioli in his Hawthorn glory days.

It comes as Rioli backed in his close relative Maurice Rioli to put his new-found maturity on show in a make-or-break season at Punt Road.

Tigers defender Rioli has packed a full career’s worth of moments in his eight seasons as a triple premiership small forward with a Goal of the Year award before winning All Australian 40 honours in 2022 as a half back.

Now the 26-year-old has a new coach in Yze and potentially new challenges despite his desire to again dominate at half back after limping through 2023 with a niggling ankle injury.

Rioli said instead of spending time on the training track he too often had his ankle in a bucket of ice as fluid in the joint saw him playing hurt for interim coach Andrew McQualter.

McQualter missed out on the new role for former Demons star Yze, who honed his coaching skills in a side with star small forward Cyril Rioli during their premiership era.

Daniel Rioli is again injury free and told the Herald Sun he still wasn’t sure how to take Yze’s suggestion of some midfield minutes.

“He wants me to play mostly half back but he made a comment to me: “What is your nickname? What about ‘Silk”,” Rioli told the Herald Sun after the club’s intraclub clash on Wednesday.

“He said if we needed a ‘Cyril’ or a Shaun Burgoyne to provide spark in the midfield why not? They were ‘Mr Fix-it’ players.

He did make that comment and obviously I want to play half back this year. I haven’t played a lot of midfield time in my AFL career so I am excited if that does come about. Midfield, forward, back to the backline, I am happy. He has got a lot of confidence in our players and I am thrilled to play under him.”

“Last year was a bit of a roller coaster for us. We all have confidence in Yze’s game plan and what he brings to the club.”

Last year Rioli’s stats were almost identical to his breakout 2022 as a defender – resulting in a fifth-placing in the Jack Dyer Medal.

But too often he hobbled into games and played through contests despite re-injuring his ankle.

“It was tough with the injury and I just tried to do the right thing for the team to get out there. A nice off-season helped. I got off my legs for a bit and I am cherry ripe now but there was heaps of fluid on my ankle that kept bugging me through the year,” he said.

“I couldn’t even walk on it at some stages. The ankle was a bit blue and I had to be at home with an ice bucket every night and that got me through but I had a good physio who looked after me.”

Post-season Rioli and partner Paris Lawrence escaped for some sightseeing to Tokyo before returning to his home in the Tiwi Islands over Christmas.

The club had urged third-year forward Maurice Rioli to rededicate himself to his fitness across the off-season given his tank did not allow him to get to enough contests in a ten-game 2023 AFL season.

He returned in adequate rather than outstanding shape but Daniel Rioli said he had made up for lost time since then.

“Obviously Maurice has got a long way to go. He’s still young and he’s pretty raw to this game so we know what a good pressure player he is. He is now (in good shape). I go home a lot and have a lot of bush tucker which puts me over that scale a bit,” he said.

“We both try to come back in reasonable shape but obviously the club has good programs through training. He has been good. He is still young and learning and if he doesn’t come back as fit he’s got a good program with physios and coaches who talk him through things.

“He is still getting to that stage where he is maturing. He is only 21 years old and this year he needs to get into it and show the people what he’s made of.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-2024-daniel-rioli-talks-shaking-off-injury-possible-midfield-move-maurice-rioli/news-story/8c6661d04e8c84ce1ccea3f8b8ce105c

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1242 on: February 08, 2024, 09:01:45 AM »
Always thought we would be good in there

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #1243 on: February 08, 2024, 11:14:54 AM »
The old “possible midfield move” pre season trope.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #1244 on: February 08, 2024, 01:53:01 PM »
We'll play everyone on ball...except actual onballers like Ross, Sonsie & Pickett.... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.