Author Topic: Mabior Chol joins Gold Coast / Tigers get End of Round 2 compo pick [official]  (Read 96259 times)

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Rookie pick 30 - Mabior Chol
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2015, 12:49:47 PM »
Welcome mate!

Looks like this is our 3-5 year ruck project.

Just hope he comes good and that Maric/Hampson/Soldo + Vickery/Griffiths can hold down the position until he matures...

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2015, 12:50:14 PM »
smiles like a hyena

Geez, i thought you wrote 'smells'   :o
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2015, 01:31:18 PM »
He could even play KPF as he is under 200cm! :snidegrin
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2015, 02:04:54 PM »
The only pick today that actually made any sense....though he's very close to his family so it would be just our luck to get a player who wants to leave and actually go back to Brisbane...
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2015, 02:17:50 PM »
The only pick today that actually made any sense....though he's very close to his family so it would be just our luck to get a player who wants to leave and actually go back to Brisbane...

I will make sure he doesn't com back across the border, if he is any good.. :snidegrin
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2015, 02:22:32 PM »

I will make sure he doesn't com back across the border, if he is any good.. :snidegrin
:clapping

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2015, 02:34:17 PM »
Nickname Bok?
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2015, 03:05:42 PM »
The only pick today that actually made any sense....

Actually I'll withdraw that, the three picks weren't too bad....was pleased to read Moore can play down back & in the ruck....Marcon fills the need for more mid depth (you can never have too much of that), would prefer he was 18-20, not 23, 24 next year....but suppose you're pretty much chucking darts by pick 48 in the rookie draft...probably better to go with a bloke that you know can at play least play VFL and will add something to the reserves side...

- Gustav Mahler

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2015, 04:36:42 PM »
I think they call him Macca at his club
Lots of people name their swords......

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2015, 05:23:17 PM »
I think they call him Macca at his club
Yessssss. Welcome the Big Macca!!!

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2015, 06:00:00 PM »

Actually I'll withdraw that, the three picks weren't too bad....was pleased to read Moore can play down back & in the ruck....Marcon fills the need for more mid depth (you can never have too much of that), would prefer he was 18-20, not 23, 24 next year....but suppose you're pretty much chucking darts by pick 48 in the rookie draft...probably better to go with a bloke that you know can at play least play VFL and will add something to the reserves side...

moore cant play ruck @ afl @ 193  :(
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2015, 06:15:07 PM »
Eddie Murphy  :shh

Congratulations though, I'd be really pleased for him if he could make it at senior level.  :clapping
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2015, 07:03:17 PM »

moore cant play ruck @ afl @ 193  :(

He might at least provide some emergency cover if things got desperate, which wouldn't take much....not like we have an embarrassment of riches....

- Gustav Mahler

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2015, 07:36:45 PM »
Herald-Sun article from July about Chol and background ...

Maibor Chol’s family fled Sudan and is now a chance to be drafted

Sam Landsberger
Herald Sun
July 4, 2015 7:00pm

PLAYING tigee with his baby brother in the streets of Egypt, the racism and violence scarring Maibor Chol’s family came to a flashpoint.

A stranger emerged from the shadows and snatched Chol’s brother, leaving the Sudanese family petrified.

Chol remembers sprinting inside and alerting his parents to the kidnapper, who arrived armed with a stick and two metal bars.

Chol, who was just seven, tried to help but was too small and his parents eventually defused the situation.

After the confronting episode the Chols locked themselves inside their house for two days and ultimately the family of eight fled to Brisbane.

When Maibor was two, his family boarded a ship out of war-torn Sudan and headed to Egypt.

He remembers dining out on seafood on the vessel but the destination “wasn’t a positive place to stay”.

“It was really, really scary,” Chol said of the two years in Egypt.

“A lot of negativity and racism to black people. Mum and dad were finding it really tough and it was really hard for my family. To hear what happened to them, I feel really sorry for them.

“But they just put their head up high and worked really hard to try and get our lives back together.”

Chol, 18, has finished representing Queensland in the under-18 national carnival.

After arriving in Brisbane in 2005, he took up Australian rules six years ago and played in a winning school final on the Gabba that year.

He immediately fell in love with the game’s camaraderie and capacity to show off his raw athleticism.

After starting in the ruck, Chol is developing his craft as a midfielder.

“I really enjoy the running, the marking and taking the really big marks,” he said.

“I love taking the big marks, I love it. I took one on Saturday against Tassie which I thought was a really good mark.

“I climbed over one bloke — he was set up perfectly — and I took off.”

The man who drew Chol to the sport’s scaling heights was Sydney champion Adam Goodes.

Chol remembers watching Goodes on television and has since looked up to the indigenous superstar.

“He just caught me with the way he played,” Chol said.

“The way he leads out on the field, I thought it was brilliant so I followed the Swans and Adam Goodes will always be my idol.”

Chol has since signed his younger brother up to Auskick and his dad is a regular in the stands on game day.

He wants his brother to get the hang of the game and, in a dream world, follow him to the AFL.

The success of North Melbourne’s Majak Daw and Swan Aliir Aliir — fellow Sudanese players — showed Chol his vision was no pipedream.

“The first time I heard of Majak Daw it gave me a lot of confidence,” he said.

“It showed me this sport is not only built for Australian kids, but we can have multicultural players coming through.

“It gave me that little bit of motivation to work even harder and get up there with them as well.”

Chol knows he has a lot of improvement left but is committed to working hard at the game he loves.

“Footy means the world to me,” he said.

“My family would be proud of me (if I got drafted) and to help them out with their lives would be great.

“My mum would be in tears, dad would be really proud and even a couple of the family back in Africa would be really proud.

“But life is just really good now. Everything is settled, there’s no racism around here and everyone gets treated in the right way. I love it here.”

Mabior Chol shows off his athleticism for Queensland at the under-18 championships. Picture: Colleen Petch.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/afl-draft-2015-maibor-chols-family-fled-sudan-and-is-now-a-chance-to-be-drafted/news-story/ea20f41592d433c035650760c38d02ad

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2015, 07:37:49 PM »
could be anything this kid, has a leap like Michael Jordon and has hands like a venus fly trap. put some vfl games under his belt and look out  :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled