Author Topic: Does Richmond coach Damien Hardwick deserve contract extension? ... (Foxsports)  (Read 4500 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Does Richmond coach Damien Hardwick deserve contract extension?

Adam Baldwin
Foxsports.com.au
December 1, 2015

WITH Brad Scott and Adam Simpson putting pen to paper and Nathan Buckley expected to sign a new deal in the coming weeks, just three AFL coaches will enter 2016 without job security.

One of those is Alastair Clarkson, who after clinching his fourth premiership could just about name his price.

However, Brisbane’s Justin Leppitsch and Richmond’s Damien Hardwick need to put runs on the board early in the season to secure their futures.

Given where Brisbane’s list is placed, it’s not so much about wins and losses for Leppitsch, but establishing an environment where the young players want to stick around.

The same can’t be said about Hardwick’s Tigers who must take another step forward in 2016 or risk a season under the microscope.

Hardwick presents a curious case for Tigers chief Brendon Gale, who in recent weeks refused to speculate on a possible extension beyond the coach’s current two-year deal.

“It’s not something we’ve thought long and hard enough for just yet, I mean Damien is contracted for another year,” Gale told SEN on November 17.

“Right now, we are reviewing all aspects of our organisation and he is no different.

“We’ll form a view as to how we actually approach that in the not too distant future.”

The fact that Hardwick’s Tigers have bombed out in three straight elimination finals suggests there’s something missing at Tigerland.

But, that’s a too simplistic view given Hardwick has taken the club from second bottom to regular finalists during his six-year tenure.

Since taking over the reigns ahead of the 2010 season, he has helped develop a list and game plan good enough to defeat the all-conquering Hawthorn.

Hardwick has a career winning percentage of 48.9 per cent, behind only Jeff Gieschen (51.02) and Francis Bourke (56.52) at Richmond in the past 25 years.

He is also ranked third at the Tigers for most number of games coached (135) behind Tom Hafey (248) and Jack Dyer (222).

Despite what Adam Treloar believes, the Tigers are ready to challenge for a top four position and a premiership.

The star midfielder might have snubbed the Tigers, but through Trent Cotchin, Brett Deledio, Alex Rance, Jack Riewoldt and new recruit Chris Yarran the team is not short on star power.

For periods over the past two seasons they’ve looked every bit a side ready to become a force of the competition.

In 2014, Hardwick’s men stormed into an elimination final by winning nine of the final 10 games. Between Round 7 and 17 last season they claimed eight out of 10.

They’ve now won 24 of their past 33 games.

However, what preceded and followed these streaks creates the headaches for Hardwick and his team.

In 2014, the Tigers were 3-10 at Round 14 before their unlikely finals berth ended in disaster at the hands of Port Adelaide in that unforgettable elimination final.

The spotlight was again on Hardwick last season when they won just two of the first six games and then gave up a 21-point lead to North Melbourne in another premature exit from the finals.

The 33-point lead they coughed up against arch enemies Carlton in the 2013 eliminator still hurts Richmond fans.

Gale and president Peggy O’Neal need to weigh up the benefits of endorsing Hardwick ahead of what is potentially a make-or-break season.

“Hardwick has to feel comfortable going into 2016 that he has time on his side to plan and prepare to win that 11th flag for the Tigers,” former coach and captain Kevin Barlett said.

But, others might argue a contract extension before a ball has been kicked in anger is bad business.

Hardwick still has 12 months to run on his current deal and is unlikely to be poached by a rival club.

If they pull the trigger and Richmond makes another sluggish start to the season then questions will be asked not only of Hardwick but why a new deal was necessary.

The equation for Hardwick is simple. Keep the Tiggy train on its current trajectory and a new deal will be a formality.

In the meantime, weathering constant questioning from the media over Hardwick’s future might just be a small price to pay.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/afl-2015-does-richmond-coach-damien-hardwick-deserve-contract-extension/story-e6frf3e3-1227628350977

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
I wouldn't might a conditional 12 month extension to prevent media speculation - the can always put a confidential termination clause if things go belly up and we don't want him to continue.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
Give Clarko anything he wants  :shh
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Why give him an extension? If he can't take the heat of expectation then he can't handle the heat of finals. It's not like another team will poach him with his finals record.
Anyway, I like the man so that part of me would just love him to succeed. To have him third on the list of games coached at a club that is over one hundred years old is actually unbelievable.

I implore the club to let his contract run its course. They must have targets for him to achieve. If he meets these contracts, give him a new contract at the end of the year.  If he doesn't, so long, farewell, Auf Wiedersehen, adieu.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
I think if we lost Dimma I'd like to try Andrew Collins. But i'm hoping dimma can get this group going.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
I think if we lost Dimma I'd like to try Andrew Collins. But i'm hoping dimma can get this group going.
I was having the same thoughts the other day. Seems to have a great footy brain.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Petey

• Bad
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • SgtAA of OER
Collins who coached Coburg? Interesting.

Offline Raoul Duke

• Premiership Captain
  • Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Andy Collins should definitely be a candidate for our next coach, seems to have had a positive impact at the clubs he has been involved with.
The possibility of physical and mental collapse is now very real. No sympathy for the Devil, keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
It's time for Hardwick to stand up & show some balls here. The club has stuck by him and he has enjoyed the luxury of resources into the football department that no coach in the history of the club has ever had.
I think it would be good if he were to draw his own line in the sand. If he were to get on the front foot and announce to the footy community that he will not sign unless he is able to deliver us finals success. This not only ends the ongoing speculation but it relieves the club of the burden & puts the responsibility squarely on the shoulders of the whole football department & most of all the players. He can say that the club has supported him and he has full trust in his team, players & coaching staff to deliver for the fans and if they are able to achieve this then he will talk to the board about the possibility of renewing his contract.

If he did this I'm sure he would gain a lot of respect.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Thompson
Voss
Lyon
Basset
Collins
Diver Lloyd's brother

Future:
Luke Hodge
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
Velvet sledgehammers... Brother?

Geez
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
Fremantle assistant, just appointed director of coaching at Geelong, highly rated and was in the mix for Carlton  & Essendon jobs.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
I just vomited little bit in my mouth
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
Why? Because you don't like his brother?

- Thomas Sowell

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
It's like being mates with hitlers kids