Author Topic: Top 10 Oz songs  (Read 10347 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Top 10 Oz songs
« on: October 28, 2005, 07:39:42 AM »
This is what they had last night on tv as the top 10 Oz songs:

1. Easybeats - Friday on my mind
2. Men at Work - Down Under
3. Daddy Cool - Eagle Rock
4. Peter Allen - I still call Australia home.
5. INXS - Never tear us apart
6. Crowded House - Don't dream it's over
7. Cold Chisel - Khe Sahn
8. Flowers/Icehouse - Great Southern Land
9. Kylie - Locomotion
10. Midnight Oil - Beds are Burning

What do you guys think?

Nothing from the last 10-15 years.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Top 10 Oz songs
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005, 10:19:23 AM »
No AC/DC - absolutely criminal. What a load of rubbish - obviously chosen by some limp-wristed Peter Allen fan.

Moi

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 10:44:43 AM »
If i had a choice out of that lot it would be Eagle Rock - never get sick of it and is as fresh as the day it was released.
Who picked this stuff lol
 :rollin

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2005, 11:41:38 AM »
Yeah they did have AC/DC in the top 20 - "Long Way to the Top".  They also did mention Savage Garden.

How was last week's 20-1 - the best dummy spits (no Richo didn't score a mention).  Number 1 was the biff between Ron Casey and Normie Rowe - classic!

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2005, 12:56:17 PM »
I've never heard of any of those songs!  :rollin

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2005, 04:17:09 PM »
If i had a choice out of that lot it would be Eagle Rock - never get sick of it and is as fresh as the day it was released.
Who picked this stuff lol
 :rollin

Just goes to show the difference in musical tastes because.............................

Eagle Rock - is one of my all time disliked songs - if I never hear it again it would fantastic  ;D

So glad I missed 20 to 1 last night. Watching the Chicago White Sox win the World Series was far more pleasant my the looks of it  ;D ;)

No problem with this one being number 1

:help :help

I can actually know someone who loved this song so would be very happy to know this  :thumbsup

I am sorry but I have to ask am I the only person in Australia who thinks is one the most over-rated songs of all time  ::) ;D :help

Should have been number one  ;D or at least in the top 3 - leaves "Down Under" in its wake :thumbsup

9. Kylie - Locomotion

How can a cover version of 30+ y.o. song be one of Australia's top songs - it wasn't written by an Aussie so how did it qualify

:gobdrop :gobdrop no Delta or Aussie Idol winners - can't believe it  :rollin :lol :rollin :lol
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2005, 04:46:13 PM »
Yeah they did have AC/DC in the top 20 - "Long Way to the Top".  They also did mention Savage Garden.

How was last week's 20-1 - the best dummy spits (no Richo didn't score a mention).  Number 1 was the biff between Ron Casey and Normie Rowe - classic!

Thanks Jules.

I'm not the world's biggest AC/DC fan, but I could find 4 or 5 songs that slot above several of those. And that is before you start talking about the quality of the live performance. Icehouse ROFLMAOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Essentially channel 9 are cowering to the sort of people who are likely to be watching, and be as inoffensive as possible. Look at their line-up.

7:30 Getaway
8:30 20-to-1
9:30 RPA

Who in their right mind wants to watch other people go on holiday and have a great time. I'll be stuffed if I am paying for Tom Williams or some other talentless bum to go strutting around the world on advertising revenue. This ranks as close to the most depressing show on TV.

Who in their right mind wants to know some jumped up limp-wristed vaggots opinion of the best 20 songs ever. The fact that locomotion and peter allen are there more or less confirms that it was chosen by a dag rattler.

Who in their right mind wants to watch people dying in hospital.

I don't want to sound as if I am having a go at anyone who watched this, but WTF has TV come to?

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2005, 05:08:53 PM »

I am sorry but I have to ask am I the only person in Australia who thinks is one the most over-rated songs of all time  ::) ;D :help

Hooray!!! At last someone else who doesn't rate it. :D I'm worse than that, I can't stand it.
I like quite a few Cold Chisel songs but not that one.

Just to prove tastes differ, Eagle Rock is one of my favourites. I was a big fan of Flowers (1 album called Icehouse) before they became Icehouse but didn't think much of them after.

For the AC/DC fans, Riff-Raff must have been knocking on the door. For me it would have been anyway. ;D
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2005, 07:02:56 PM »
Did I mishear the tv in the background or did they have Peter Andre's mysterious girl in the top 20  :gobdrop?

Their explanation for Kylie's locomotion being in there was because it was the song that got her her musical break in the UK and US.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2005, 07:27:09 PM »

Hooray!!! At last someone else who doesn't rate it. :D I'm worse than that, I can't stand it.

I not only don't rate it FF - I absolutely hate it - change radio stations when it comes on.

For me it is on par with "Tainted Love" by Soft Cell (my most loathed, hated annoying song ever) - absolute CRAP

But apart from that I have no problem with it ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2005, 11:41:08 PM »
Going back to my teenage footy trip days couldn't go past chucking in an oils songs from 10 9 8 .. legendary stuff. Beds are burning is a poo song.  Obviously something from the chisel.

What about Angels Am I ever gunna see your face again no way get f f off. Village green memories there.

One that allways gave me a chill was Gang ga jang This is Australia. Saw Aussie crawl a few times bloody awesome band in their day.

Then you could allways chuck in a cosmic physcos - Lime spiders - hard ons track in for a bit of flavour. :cheers

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2005, 06:38:29 AM »
What about Angels Am I ever gunna see your face again no way get f f off. Village green memories there.

One that allways gave me a chill was Gang ga jang This is Australia. Saw Aussie crawl a few times bloody awesome band in their day.

They all were mentioned on the show. We must be around the same age CUB :thumbsup.

Khe Sahn and Down Under have been overplayed and spoiled to death. I still reckon Overkill was Men at Work's best ever song.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2005, 08:33:32 AM »
What about "Be Good Johnny" by Men at Work or "What about Me? by Moving Pictures.
Actually the Gangajang song is called "Sounds of Then" - don't ask me why - "This is Australia" is a better name.  I am surprised though that there was no Delta and Anthony Callea's "The Prayer" which is the highest selling Australian single.  Maybe all these songs are Mr. Packer's favourites.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2005, 08:35:48 AM by julzqld »

Ox

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2005, 11:57:20 AM »

5. INXS - Never tear us apart
6. Crowded House - Don't dream it's over
9. Kylie - Locomotion
10. Midnight Oil - Beds are Burning

What do you guys think?

What do i think ?

I think the nations mentality needs to get over songs that endear ouselves to songs that describe the landscape an the bogan psyche
1. Easybeats - Friday on my mind - :thumbsup
2. Men at Work - Down Under - If the lyric was up 'n under it wouldnt be here
3. Daddy Cool - Eagle Rock =  :thumbsup
4. Peter Allen - I still call Australia home.- Good song but again,more self adulation
5. INXS - Never tear us apart- I would have opted for "Remeniscin'" by LRB.
6. Crowded House - Don't dream it's over- Kiwi song :shh
7. Cold Chisel - Khe Sahn - LMAO. Great song though :thumbsup
8. Flowers/Icehouse - Great Southern Land - Again with the "our place is cool" stuff.
I agree we are the greatest countery in the world but lets keep it to ourselves and not judge everything by it.
9. Kylie - Locomotion - SERIOUS ? Real Aussie tune this one  ???Who wrote it ?
10. Midnight Oil - Beds are Burning -  As genuine a protest song as u can get. :thumbsup

but thats just what i rekkon n' that.

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2005, 01:06:08 PM »

I think the nations mentality needs to get over songs that endear ouselves to songs that describe the landscape an the bogan psyche

Well said.

10. Midnight Oil - Beds are Burning -  As genuine a protest song as u can get. :thumbsup

But how many bogans actually know, relate to or understand the message when they are signing along?