Author Topic: Richmond tried to call off game against Port amid climbing injury toll (H-Sun)  (Read 10035 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond tried to call off game against Port Adelaide amid climbing injury toll

JON RALPH
Herald Sun
March 11, 2016

RICHMOND coach Damien Hardwick said his team was hit by “the perfect storm” as the hobbled Tigers tried to stop the game at Etihad Stadium early.

The Tigers’ injury toll in the final quarter against Port Adelaide was so savage football manager Dan Richardson approached the AFL to call off the NAB Challenge match.

AFL football operations manager Mark Evans denied the ­request, telling the Tigers broadcast obligations made it impossible.

By that stage Richmond had just 15 men on the field. The AFL forced the Tigers to put two players back on the field.

“It was the perfect storm with ­regards to injuries early and every time you looked up another player was coming off,’’ Hardwick said.

“From my point of view I am here to put our best side forward for Round 1. I am not here to win NAB 3.

“It was making sure our players hasn’t had a rotation for a quarter, so we said let’s get them off. We did (try to call off the game). My main priority is to get a fit and fired-up Richmond side for Round 1.”

Richmond faces Carlton in the season-opener on March 24.

The Tigers fear veteran midfielder Shaun Grigg fractured his thumb and half-forward Shane Edwards could have a cracked collarbone.

Reece Conca has again badly damaged his hamstring and Greater Western Sydney recruit Jacob Townsend was concussed after a collision.

To salt the wound, the Tigers were smashed by 48 points and could manage only five goals, 14 days before their Round 1 clash with Carlton.

Richardson said Evans had made it clear he could not call the game off, given contractual requirements.

“We were just trying to look after our players, we had an ordinary night with injuries and we wanted to bring a few off the ground.

“Understandably, the AFL were concerned about that and there are issues with broadcasters.”

Port Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley said he was happy to play out the game.

“I have got no control over it. There was some banter up the line (from Richmond) at one point, but the AFL run the competition.”

Hardwick said Corey Ellis and Anthony Miles would return next week.

Chris Yarran got through a VFL intra-club game yesterday and has a senior intra-club outing against Geelong to push his Round 1 claims.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/richmond-tried-to-call-off-game-against-port-adelaide-amid-climbing-injury-toll/news-story/cbb05e7b05ac80e77f9909831514a069

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
An intra-club against Geelong?
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Calling game off not an option: AFL's Mark Evans (H-Sun)
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 02:09:45 PM »
AFL operations manager Mark Evans says calling off Richmond v Port Adelaide clash was not an option

Lauren Wood
Herald Sun
March 11, 2016 10:55am

AFL football operations boss Mark Evans has said calling off Thursday night’s game between Richmond and Port Adelaide was simply never an option.

Tigers coach Damien Hardwick asked for the game to be ended early having watched four players go down with injury, leaving his side with just one on the bench.

Evans has said the fans in attendance, watching on television and Port Adelaide were all considered in the AFL’s decision to finish the match, but not the ramifications for betting agencies.

As far as he was concerned, Richmond had enough players to field a side — Hardwick just didn’t want to field them.

“I would never consider the betting operator, I would only consider the rules of the game,” Evans said on SEN.

“That’s my obligation.

“If a team genuinely could not field the required number of players because of genuine injuries, the rules cater for that.

“It doesn’t cater for players to be sat on the bench … just because that’s the way you want to manage the players.”

Richmond football boss Dan Richardson admitted the scenes at Etihad Stadium were “not a good look” but didn’t believe the question of ending the game early was ever officially put to the AFL.

Decimated by injuries, coach Damien Hardwick raged on the bench and put a number of his best players on the pine as self-preservation took priority.

“There was a bit going on and I thought I should wander down and see what was happening. The question was asked whether the game could be cut short, but I don’t think that was ever asked formally,” he said.

“In the end, our duty is to protect the welfare of our players.

“It probably wasn’t a great look overall, but on balance, the preseason competition is designed to prepare teams for the upcoming season and for us and hopefully Port - I think they got what they wanted out of it.”

Evans said he could “understand the position (Richmond) were in”, but said injuries are simply a reality of stepping up intensity.

“I reckon there’s always injuries when you step up in intensity ... when you go from training to preseason ... and to the season,” he said.

“If people don’t want that and they want to roll into the season fresh and deal with the injuries there, that’s a perfectly legitimate system. It’s not the system they told us they want.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/afl-operations-manager-mark-evans-says-calling-off-richmond-v-port-adelaide-clash-was-not-an-option/news-story/94b61749962770a6cafe12232f859b19

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond unprecedented request to end match early, Jay Clark’s view from the sidelines

Jay Clark
Herald Sun
March 11, 2016 11:26am

DAMIEN Hardwick threw up his arms and looked at his depleted bench.

“We’ve got no one left,” he said to the nearby AFL official.

With 10 minutes left in Thursday night’s match between Port Adelaide and Richmond, things were starting to get heated on the boundary line and Hardwick, in particular, was furious.

After a savage run of injuries in its final NAB Challenge game, Richmond had only one fit man left on the bench.

And the players that were still able to run around out on Etihad Stadium were exhausted and cramping.

Poor old Connor Menadue couldn’t even walk anymore when his game time hit about 87 per cent in the final few minutes.

Richmond’s bench steward had already asked the AFL official whether the game could be shortened, only moments earlier.

But when Hardwick came down to the boundary line, he took things into his own hands.

Again, the Richmond senior coach asked the AFL official whether the match could be called off, immediately.

The injury toll included Shane Edwards (collarbone), Shaun Grigg (thumb), Shaun Hampson (ankle), Reece Conca (hamstring), Jacob Townsend (head) and Brett Deledio only played the first half in his comeback from a calf problem. He was in his tracksuit pants.

Dustin Martin had a hobble up and was playing out of the goalsquare and captain Trent Cotchin had received a knock to his left quad and had had it strapped.

Hardwick kept looking at the wounded men on the bench, then at the AFL official, and shaking his head.

With the Tigers’ Round 1 clash against Carlton at the front of his mind, Hardwick then started telling his most important players, such as Cotchin and Martin, to come off the ground.

They did so, reluctantly.

The AFL staffer had been on the phone, trying to calm the situation with the Tigers’ chiefs, and had now started counting Richmond players.

There was about 14 or 15 on the field at this stage.

Enter Port Adelaide fitness chief Darren Burgess.

The Power wanted to know what the heck was going on from the other bench and were assessing whether they should start doing the same as the Tigers, as the game plunged to farcical depths.

Port’s runner, Chad Cornes, was openly laughing.

Not Hardwick, though. He was filthy.

AFL operations manager Mark Evans had joined the circus at this stage and had told the Tigers they needed to put a full team on the field, presumably for betting and broadcast ramifications.

At this point, Richmond football manager Dan Richardson had begun talking to Evans, taking over from Hardwick, who looked like he was about to fully erupt.

Upon AFL direction, the Tigers’ stars wandered back on the field. Cotchin had been trying to get back on the whole time anyway.

Richmond assistant coach Mark Williams had been tugging on Martin’s jumper, trying to hold him back from going on, but finally let go. Instead, he tapped Martin on the shoulder and said something in his ear as Martin re-entered the game. Perhaps something like “don’t do anything silly”.

Of course, no one gave two hoots about the score.

What happened on the boundary line had become much more interesting.

Finally, the siren sounded. Port had won by 48 points at Etihad Stadium.

But Richmond’s preparations for the regular season had suffered a heavy blow.

The ones smiling about it was Carlton.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-unprecedented-request-to-end-match-early-jay-clarks-view-from-the-sidelines/news-story/257d55b44b2d22ebb3bc1a1a0e3579b5

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
Charming end to the article
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
Hahahahahaha.

You're a stuffn joke dimmer.

I hope nobody has expectations of surpassing the achievements of the last three years.
If so, you'll be sadly disappointed.......again
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Offline Petey

• Bad
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • SgtAA of OER
actually don't see how you can bash Hardwick for this. was trying to do right by the club.

does anyone realise we just played a practice match

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
Practice maths that he was in charge of
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Hmm actions of a professional footy club or the actions of a rabble.

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
actually don't see how you can bash Hardwick for this. was trying to do right by the club.

Well said

Offline Petey

• Bad
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • SgtAA of OER
Practice maths that he was in charge of

so it's his fault those boys get injured. and it's bad of him to try and look after the other boys had niggles?

it was wrong of him to think of round 1, rather than trying to come back from 8 goals down in a practice match with not long left to go?

bloke could save a dying child and you'd call him a pedo

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Hmm actions of a professional footy club or the actions of a rabble.
Well could you share your choice and reasons, please?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 03:43:02 PM by Go Richo 12 »

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT

Well said
In these days of over legislation if the AFL representative insisted we sent injured players back on the ground i am picking they would be up for a huge workplace law suit?

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
Mate, if u turn up to play-it's on.

Who stops a match because they're hurting?

It's indicative of the entire culture he has implemented.
Caracella and Balmey.