Author Topic: 'Clock ticking' on Hardwick / RFC blame game begins & looks to future (Age/HS)  (Read 2967 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
'Clock ticking' on Damien Hardwick as Richmond blame game begins

Jon Pierik
The Age
July 3, 2016

Former Richmond coach Danny Frawley has declared the "clock is ticking" on incumbent Damien Hardwick, as the Tigers now begin plotting a major rebuild of a failed playing list.

The Tigers' 38-point loss to Port Adelaide on Friday night leaves them three games outside the top eight, and Hardwick conceding his side was not good enough to be in September calculations.

A major review of the club's football operations department and recruiting has begun and is now expected to intensify, with assistant coaches among those to be scrutinised. Hardwick has more than two years to run on his contract, having had his position reviewed last summer ahead of a one-year contract extension.

The Tigers have more than 20 players off contract, including key forward Ty Vickery, whom AFL great Dermott Brereton described on Saturday as not being a "grand finalist's key forward".

The decision to have so many uncontracted players appears to have been a deliberate one, indicating the Tigers were unsure if this list was capable of winning a final, while also ensuring they would be in the market for top talent this year.

While Frawley stopped short of calling for Hardwick's sacking, he said an absence of a finals victory during Hardwick's tenure meant he was under the spotlight. The Tigers have been beaten in three-straight elimination finals.

"His coaching CV is not great - let's face it. He has coached for seven years now without winning a final," Frawley said on Saturday.

"The clock is ticking. I know he has a two-year deal ... but you are in finals to win 'em. They haven't won a final in his tenure. That doesn't look good on anyone's CV.

"If they have to start again, they may have to extend his contract again, because it's not going to happen in two years, I can tell you that. This rebuild is going to take a while."

The Tigers' decision to recruit top-up talent has been publicly scrutinised over the past two years. They have said they pursued this path as their rebuild under Hardwick coincided with the plethora of picks given to expansion clubs in the national draft.

Frawley said the recruiting strategy had not worked, and suggested Hardwick was to blame.

"They had a side around tenth or eleventh. They got (Troy) Chaplin, they got (Ivan) Maric, they got (Shaun) Grigg, they got (Bachar) Houli, they got Taylor Hunt - not all of those worked," he said on Triple M.

"You get those players to win finals because you are taking away draft picks. The list management of Richmond have recruited for the now over the last two or three years, thinking the top five players were good enough to get them there - let's bolster 'em with players from other clubs.

"If it doesn't work, the heat does come on the coach because a lot of the players that come from other clubs, they're coaches' picks, they are not recruiting picks."

Terry Wallace, another former Richmond coach, has urged the Tigers to target banned Essendon defender Michael Hurley in a bid to revitalise their list.

Wallace said he did not "trust" the Tigers' big men, listing Vickery, Ben Griffiths and Shaun Hampson.

The Tigers have privately denied suggestions they have offered Hurley, one of 17 current AFL players serving a year-long anti-doping ban, a five-year deal worth about $4.5 million. Hurley has yet to re-commit to the Bombers.

Wallace said the Tigers needed to pursue the versatile Hurley, rather than other players they have been linked to, including off-contract Gold Coast Suns' midfielder, Dion Prestia.

Veteran forward Brett Deledio has been seen as possible trade bait should the Tigers want another top pick in this year's draft. They are now likely to finish with at least a top-six pick.

Hardwick said the Tigers needed to "find players who can continue to take us forward and get us back to where we need to be".

"We've blooded a lot of young players this year, we'll continue to do so but we've also got to make sure they're ready to play AFL footy," he said.

"We're finding out about a few players at the moment, we're trying guys in different positions…but we do look forward to some guys getting an opportunity.

"We'll continue to try and win as many games as we can whilst trying to develop a playing list that can take us forward."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-2016-clock-ticking-on-damien-hardwick-as-richmond-blame-game-begins-20160702-gpwxwp.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Finals out, Tigers look to the future (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 05:38:45 AM »
Finals out, Tigers look to the future

SAM LANDSBERGER
Herald Sun
July 3, 2016

RICHMOND has finally conceded its season will be a bust and vowed to use the final eight weeks to experiment with its floundering list.

The Tigers are bracing for upheaval with contracts for about half their playing list and most of their coaches about to expire.

Former Richmond coach Danny Frawley on Saturday declared the clock was ticking on senior coach Damien Hardwick’s career while Frawley’s successor Terry Wallace lashed the game plan.

Hardwick — re-signed before Round 1 until 2018 — promised to hand selection preference to youngsters in the wake of Friday night’s 38-point loss to Port Adelaide.

The Tigers won the “soft stats” but were demolished where it counts — tackles, clearances and contested possessions — as they slumped to 6-8 and out of the September equation.

Hardwick has repeatedly stated the 2016 list was the best assembled in his seven years at the club.

He holds the unwanted record for the most AFL games ever coached without a finals win and the Tigers will yield just one top-40 draft selection this year because of the trade for Chris Yarran.

“He has coached for seven years now without winning a final,” Frawley told Triple M.

“I know he has a two-year deal ... but you are in finals to win them. This rebuild is going to take a while.”

Captain Trent Cotchin sounded despondent on ABC radio while Hardwick laughed off talk the Tigers do not have a long-term plan.

“We don’t go into any season without a plan, we’re not a local club,” Hardwick told 3AW.

“The reality is it’s a performance-based industry and we haven’t been up to par this year.

“It’s not only on-field, you certainly look at off-field because the reality is we’ve got to get better in all facets.”
Trent Cotchin had a poor night against the Power. Picture: Getty Images

Hardwick admitted the Power outmuscled his side as the Tigers watched their faint finals hope vanish in a withering burst to start the second quarter.

“It does (give us chance to experiment),” Hardwick said.

“We’ve got some talented younger players coming through our development side and we’ll get the opportunity to see those guys (today in the VFL).

“Those guys (will get) an opportunity to prove their worth and solidify a position going forward.

“So we’ve got eight weeks to look at that, it’s disappointing it’s come to that this year.

“But the remaining eight weeks do offer us some bright lights in regards to looking at the players coming through.”

Wallace urged the Tigers to chase Essendon’s Michael Hurley.

He told SEN the Tigers’ stagnant ball movement out of defence locked them into one side of the ground, most of the time without a play-on option.

Recruits Taylor Hunt, Troy Chaplin and Ivan Maric will face pressure to stay on the list while AFL legend Dermott Brereton said Ty Vickery was only worth a pick in the late 30s.

Yarran returned from indefinite mental health leave last week and Hardwick said it would be up the former Blue if he was up to playing.

“It’d be great if he could actually pull on the jumper to feel a part of it,” Hardwick said.

First-round pick Ben Lennon returns via the VFL on Sunday.

TIGER TALK

“The reality is it’s a performance-based industry and we haven’t been up to par this year” COACH DAMIEN HARDWICK YESTERDAY

“Hardwick’s coaching CV is not great — let’s face it. The clock is ticking” — FORMER COACH DANNY FRAWLEY

“I don’t think their skill level is exceptional to play that slow style of footy. I don’t have trust in their big blokes” — FORMER COACH TERRY WALLACE

“I’d say no (to trading Deledio). I find it hard to think giving away one of your best two or three players is ever going to help you” — AFL LEGEND LEIGH MATTHEWS

“They don’t play the modern game that well. I wouldn’t be giving up draft choices now” — AFL LEGEND DERMOTT BRERETON

“I wouldn’t say we’re predictable. The challenge for us is to have an even performance across the board” — CAPTAIN TRENT COTCHIN

“It was a bit of a gut punch. I feel we’ve got the talent just not the consistency” — STAR DEFENDER ALEX RANCE

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/richmond-coach-damien-hardwick-says-the-tigers-are-not-good-enough-to-play-finals/news-story/c047a4955b585c4e1e7d612ecfa6cc96

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
Any kid we draft from here on in needs to be a competitive beast.
Kids that want to crack in and get their hands dirty.
We have far too many players that prefer to play "bruise free footy"

I remember Garry Lyon saying it about Melbourne about 5 years ago and IMO they have definitely gone that way with recruits like Viney, Gawn, Vince, Petracca, Tyson, Brayshaw, Oliver, Harmes and VandemBerg.

They haven't got the A graders like our 5 at present but they have recruited to be able to at least compete against sides that intimidate like Hawthorn.

Our recruiting has been poor for a long time but also has been too focused on "good character" too much. Players like BEllis, Cellis, Menadue, Rioli, Lennon, and Griffiths all might be the best people going around but all IMO lack the hard edge that AFL demands. You can have a couple in your side at any one time but if your sides boast all of them plus guys like Grigg, Houli, Lloyd and even Lids at times, you are going to be found out like we were the other night against a side like Port that puts pressure on the man and pressure around the ball. And they are not even a top 8 side.

When the going gets tough the RFC lay down too easily.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
This article has no substance.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
BT's words do
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline yandb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland

“I wouldn’t say we’re predictable. The challenge for us is to have an even performance across the board” — CAPTAIN TRENT COTCHIN

“It was a bit of a gut punch. I feel we’ve got the talent just not the consistency” — STAR DEFENDER ALEX RANCE

Sounds like the players are just spouting the company line, why hasn't Hardwick accepted the responsibility that his game plan is the major factor in our current predicament.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish

Sounds like the players are just spouting the company line, why hasn't Hardwick accepted the responsibility that his game plan is the major factor in our current predicament.

the way i read it the good players are sick of carrying the duds

we an even performance across the board - cotchin

the leadership is doing enough - rance

we can win the flag - lids

i am a chopstick walrus - dusty
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
Way too much is placed on too few at Richmond. It has been that way for a considerable while. If our elite players don't perform we lose. The failure to develop promising young players is a real problem at the club and the failure to draft well is yet another problem. The game plan is flawed and is easily exposed by the top sides as flawed.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Posting far more relevant that the articles which are just pure speculation about a man who has 2 1/2 years left on his contract.
I'm waiting for the Hun to interview Bruce Monteath.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
Ironically, it's Spud who is paying out on a RIchmond coach that's worse than him
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
LOL

What duds did frawley get to the Tiges?
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
None of this is unexpected, most supporters could see this coming a mile off, everyone in fact except those responsible for extending his contract.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
LOL

Steven Sziller, Luke Weller, Shane Morrison, Craig Biddiscombe, Paul Hudson, Tim Fleming, Simon Fletcher, Adam Houlihan just a couple really

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
LOL

Steven Sziller, Luke Weller, Shane Morrison, Craig Biddiscombe, Paul Hudson, Tim Fleming, Simon Fletcher, Adam Houlihan just a couple really
Didn't Frawley recruit Fiora?  Now there was a dud.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Refresh my memory did spud help us beat Carlton in a final

That's all I compare this current flog performance to.

Enough said
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.