Author Topic: Dion Prestia [merged]  (Read 274075 times)

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Dion Prestia [merged]
« Reply #1050 on: July 27, 2017, 10:59:56 AM »
At least he is not as bad as Jaegar bomb for worst kick from GCS?

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #1051 on: July 27, 2017, 11:12:46 AM »
Ah Dion Prestia just another softie with limited skills.It amazes me no one talks about how often he pulls up short or out all together.

I do
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #1052 on: August 06, 2017, 11:07:05 PM »
Haven't been a fan of Pansy Prestia but thought he was really good today. If he plays normally like this i guess it wouldn't be so bad. Had a crack today I thought. :thumbsup
The club that keeps giving.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1053 on: August 06, 2017, 11:47:06 PM »
I couldn't believe he slotted that Goal on the run!

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1054 on: August 07, 2017, 06:34:48 AM »
Played a very good game.

tony_montana

« Reply #1055 on: August 07, 2017, 07:59:21 AM »
Was bog i reckon, had more influence on the game than Mitchell, thought his first qtr was exceptional and was very good for the remainder of the game.

Prestia, Dusty, Caddy, Grimes, Astbury, Lambert our best

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1056 on: August 07, 2017, 12:33:10 PM »
Richmond midfielder Dion Prestia reflects on his first season at club and excitement of first finals campaign

Sarah Olle,
FOX SPORTS
7 August 2017

OVERLOOKING Richmond’s victorious huddle in the changerooms on Sunday evening is a photo of another successful night 19 rounds ago.

The Tigers had dismantled Carlton to the tune of 43 points in the season opener at the MCG and debutants Dion Prestia, Josh Caddy, Toby Nankervis and Dan Butler were singing the club song in all its powerade-soaked glory.

For Prestia, it’s a reminder of how far he and Richmond have come this season.

“The first game was pretty special for us. I was just happy to get a win,” Prestia says.

“The position we’re in at the moment is unbelievable. No one really thought we’d be here at this time of year. Hopefully we can keep building for finals.”

While Richmond has been reticent to use the “f” word this season, Sunday’s 29-point win over Hawthorn has all but secured the Tigers a spot in the top eight — indeed, in the top four.

After six fruitless seasons at the Gold Coast Suns, it will be Prestia’s first tilt at September action since being drafted into the AFL system at the end of 2010.

“We’ve still got a couple of games to go, but it’s looking like it will be my first finals series, which is great,” Prestia says.

“We play Geelong next week so that’s a big game to set up that top four. We keep showing up every week. We’ve done it all year except for probably two games.”

Prestia’s life has changed remarkably in 2017.

Not only has he been reunited with best mate Josh Caddy, but gone from playing in front of half-sold crowds on the Gold Coast to sold out crowds at the MCG.

There’s no anonymity being a Tiger - especially when the yellow and black are winning.

“Richmond is probably the biggest club in Melbourne so it is a different experience,” he reflects.

“It’s a different world on and off the field. Winning is different as well.

“We didn’t really have any success or finals up on the Gold Coast so this is another world for me.”

Despite this, Prestia hasn’t completely freed himself of the Suns.

Instead, he’s brought an element of his old club to his new club, creating a link between his identity at the Suns and Richmond.

And it all comes down to his “run with” roles - selfless jobs that have given Prestia a new lease on life in the backhalf of the season.

“It was just a role I did up on the Gold Coast a couple of times,” Prestia says.

“It’s when we need to negate someone rather than tag them and I was happy to do it.

“I did it against Dayne Zorko a couple of weeks ago which was good. I had Tommy Mitchell today, which was a bit harder.”

The role has brought out the best in Prestia’s footy, exploiting his elite running capacity.

While Mitchell finished Sunday’s match with 35 touches, only nine were kicks. Prestia, conversely, racked up 31 touches — 17 of which were kicks — as well as two goals.

“I like going to players and working on them defensively and be able to get forward and use my running ability,” Prestia says.

“It’s a little challenge for me and that’s why it feels like it works.”

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick was full of admiration for Prestia in what was arguably his best performance to date for the club.

“Dion missed last week and comes back in this week and looks really impressive, comes in and does a really good job on Mitchell,” Hardwick said.

“Mitchell is always going to find the ball. He’s incredible at doing that. It probably limited his effectiveness a little bit and I thought Dion was pretty solid for us as well.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/the-picture-that-speaks-1000-words-how-dion-prestia-and-richmond-have-turned-fortunes-around-in-2017/news-story/427e0bc46f7a93a5a3ad919313931d7b

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #1057 on: August 07, 2017, 01:06:34 PM »
His first match to even approach his best work at Gold Coast.... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #1058 on: August 07, 2017, 02:48:40 PM »
His spot should have been better filled considering he's had stuff all form for twenty rounds.

It's not something that should be ignored.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1059 on: August 07, 2017, 03:46:39 PM »
He's playing like a new recruit!  :shh
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

tony_montana

« Reply #1060 on: August 07, 2017, 03:51:35 PM »
His spot should have been better filled considering he's had stuff all form for twenty rounds.

yeah but the bottom line is, even with his average form we are now sitting 3rd, isnt it better to look fwds and not back?

Im a fan of prestia but i'll be the first to say his form has been poohouse this season, however I also think we're a better side with him in it even in poo form - there is no doubt about that for mine. (Caddys in the same boat)

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #1061 on: August 07, 2017, 04:11:33 PM »
We wont win it even fluke a flag with unaccountability
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #1062 on: August 07, 2017, 04:30:36 PM »

yeah but the bottom line is, even with his average form we are now sitting 3rd, isnt it better to look fwds and not back?

Im a fan of prestia but i'll be the first to say his form has been poohouse this season, however I also think we're a better side with him in it even in poo form - there is no doubt about that for mine. (Caddys in the same boat)

Caddy is the effing captain of that boat. HMAS Poowaft

"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1063 on: August 11, 2017, 10:55:43 PM »
Dion Prestia thriving in ‘a different world’ after joining Richmond from Gold Coast

ELIZA SEWELL,
Herald Sun
August 11, 2017 7:00pm

DION Prestia had forgotten how mad Melburnians are for footy.

Six years of relative anonymity on the Gold Coast will do that to you.

“It’s just a different world,” Prestia said this week.

The depth of feeling in the heartland hit him hard and early, after he signed for the Tigers at the end of last season.

“When you get Richmond supporters seeing you and saying thanks so much for choosing Richmond and I hope you go well, that’s the best thing,” Prestia said.

“There’s Richmond supporters everywhere, everywhere you go.

“On the Gold Coast it’s a newer club and they’re trying to build the brand, there’s obviously not as many members. It’s just so different.

“I knew when I decided to come to Richmond it was something I’d have to get used to.

“Even fans coming down to the captain’s run — we get a couple of hundred — which is crazy. People just love seeing you run around.”

Prestia was drafted to the Suns with pick No. 9 in 2010. But after six seasons, home — his family still lives in Craigieburn — was calling and Victorian clubs circled.

He chose the Tigers — Hawthorn was also interested — partly because he was keen to pair up with top-rung midfielders Trent Cotchin and Dustin Martin. Things are turning out pretty well so far.

And while his family is rapt to have him back in town, his dad Osvaldo would still prefer he was wearing different colours.

“He’s Melbourne, 100 per cent,” Prestia said of his dad.

“He’ll come to the games, but he still goes for Melbourne. I’d be interested to see, if it came down to us two in the Grand Final (who he’d choose).

“When we played them and we beat them, he wasn’t very happy about that.

“Even when I’d decided I was at Richmond he was like, ‘Is Melbourne still a chance?’.”

Prestia had knee surgery midway through last year and it has been a slow burn at Punt Rd as the season has progressed, building to the sort of form that won rave reviews against the Hawks last weekend.

And there have been reasons beyond what the club may have released in weekly bulletins.

He has been carefully managed. From Rounds 1-8 he would train twice a week in standard sessions rarely — just once a month.

And even now he’s being kind to his body — he didn’t play against the Gold Coast in Round 19 as he rested an Achilles niggle.

But he insists his knee hasn't troubled him at all this season.

“I don’t do the captain’s run, the day before the game, just so I’m not doing three days in a row on my legs,” he said.

“At the start of the year I would, probably once a month, train twice a week and the other times I would be on an AlterG (anti-gravity machine) just so you run at 70 per cent of your body weight, or I’d not train, just do swimming off legs, just to manage yourself.

“I hurt my hamstring (in Round 6) and once I came back (in Round 9) we decided my knee’s got to be able to cope with training twice a week and I needed to do it for my soft tissues, my calves and my hammies, so let’s just do it.

“I’ve reacted really well to it. My knee, it’s the best it’s been since I got the initial injury and my body’s going really well.”

Prestia has gone to Lion Dayne Zorko and Hawk Tom Mitchell in recent times. He describes it not as a “full-on” tagging role, but he’s there, paying attention.

“I know I’m not going to keep them to 10 disposals or anything like that, it’s just a negating role,” he said.

“I limit their damage. Tom Mitchell, I know he might cop a bit of criticism for just getting handballs, but he gets it out to his teammates in good spots, that’s where I just tried to limit his influence.

“Zorko, he was probably a good get for me. He’s a really good player, a real burst player, so I just tried to keep him in front of me. It’s something I did on the Gold Coast in my first couple of years, just to kind of learn.

“I’d do like a Jobe Watson or Dane Swan, just to learn how they go about it, their running patterns.

“We kept doing it and I was able to find the footy as well. I enjoy the role because it gives you a bit of a challenge.

“I don’t know if I’ll go Danger, he’s probably a bit too big for me (laughing) … if I do get him it should be a good experience and a lot different challenge to what I’ve faced.”

Prestia plays at Richmond and lives in Richmond too, with teammate and good friend Josh Caddy.

The pair first played together in under-13s in a Diamond Valley representative team, started their AFL careers at the Suns together and reconnected at the Tigers this season.

In Round 5 they played their 100th games together.

“When my trade was getting done and there were all the rumours flying that I was going to Richmond he gave me a call and was like, ‘Are you going to Richmond?’,” Prestia said.

“I let him know and he was like, ‘I’m thinking of going as well’. I’m like, ‘Mate, it would be awesome if you did’.

“As soon as I heard that I was getting into the club as well.

‘We live together. We work off each other a lot. We’re pretty similar types off the field, we’re pretty cruisy.”

Prestia is now well acclimatised to his new world order. He smiles when he thinks about what might happen at Tigerland come September.

“We’ll be playing in a finals series in four weeks’ time — who would have thought (that) at the start of the year.

“It’ll be pretty crazy if we keep going, which I’m pretty confident that we will. It’ll be pretty crazy here in September.”

TIGERS SPREAD THE LOAD

GUN recruit Dion Prestia says he came to Richmond to play with superstars Dustin Martin and Trent Cotchin, but all-over input is driving the Tigers.

Third-placed Richmond plays Geelong (fourth) at Simonds Stadium on Saturday, trying to break a hoodoo at the Geelong fortress that stretches across four decades.

Richmond goes in favourite and ex-Sun Prestia played his best game for the season in last week’s win over Hawthorn.

While midfield bull Martin — the raging Brownlow favourite — has been the Tigers’ shining light, Prestia said he wasn’t solely responsible for the club’s rise up the ladder.

“I feel like our forward line, we always have a couple of blokes who step up at the right time, it might not be their week one week, but they keep working hard and it works,” Prestia said.

“I find the midfield to be the same. I’ve had a couple of games where I’ve been a bit quiet and a couple of really good games, but I think it’s been the same pretty much with all of us, besides Dustin. Dustin’s probably been good every week.

“But I think that’s the strength of our football club. We don’t rely on anyone to win us games and be the one we rely on every week, we’ve always got other blokes who step up and share the load.”

Prestia, an Assumption College old boy, said he had been stunned by the mania surrounding his new club.

“I could have easily stayed up on the Gold Coast and been comfortable with how I was going but decided to make a move and play with the likes of Dustin Martin and Trent Cotchin — it’s one of the reasons I wanted to come here.

“At the moment it looks like a really good move.

“I knew it was going to, not hinder my performance, I knew I still had a big role to play in the team, but I knew I had other blokes around me who are very capable of putting the team on their back and winning games for us.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/dion-prestia-thriving-in-a-different-world-after-joining-richmond-from-gold-coast/news-story/963266ae10009a98f8a44caef25de452

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1064 on: August 27, 2017, 09:31:56 PM »
Warming up nicely  :clapping