Author Topic: Dion Prestia [merged]  (Read 270342 times)

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Dion Prestia [merged]
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2016, 09:07:29 PM »
Thrilled if we get Prestia...

for pick 4?
That's why I think they might trade next years first pick.

hmm, have heard next year is supposed to be a superdraft
The question will remain though - do we think we will rise up the ladder significantly next year?  If yes, then even if it's a super draft, pick 12 won't be better than pick 4. Depth is what separates drafts more than anything.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

tony_montana

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2016, 09:16:34 PM »

for pick 4?

The question will remain though - do we think we will rise up the ladder significantly next year?  If yes, then even if it's a super draft, pick 12 won't be better than pick 4. Depth is what separates drafts more than anything.

Thats my fear - I have little doubt internally we will think we will rise rapidly, reality though... :whistle

as stupid as it sounds I firmly believe we COULD HAVE done a quick cleanout and rebounded fast in a year or so IF we were able to get a Hurley and decent 1st ruck in, trade away some deadwood that still has currency and bounce back fast, but Hurley isnt happening, 1st rucks not looking likely and I doubt we will cut deep.

The more I think about it, the more I feel we just need to take the hard road for the next couple of years, cut deep and go hard in this years and next years drafts and then evaluate from there.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2016, 09:45:13 PM »

for pick 4?

Thats my fear - I have little doubt internally we will think we will rise rapidly, reality though... :whistle

as stupid as it sounds I firmly believe we COULD HAVE done a quick cleanout and rebounded fast in a year or so IF we were able to get a Hurley and decent 1st ruck in, trade away some deadwood that still has currency and bounce back fast, but Hurley isnt happening, 1st rucks not looking likely and I doubt we will cut deep.

The more I think about it, the more I feel we just need to take the hard road for the next couple of years, cut deep and go hard in this years and next years drafts and then evaluate from there.
Agree. That's what I would do to. However, patience is not something the RFC has at all. :whistle

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2016, 10:19:39 PM »

for pick 4?

As I said somewhere in another thread.

Pick 4 means nothing if we choose the wrong player or stuff up his development like we've done chronically for the last 10 years.

Prestia is an A-grade player and suits our needs - a tough/tackling inside mid but he's also quick by foot. He's still got easily 7-9 years of footy left in him so even with pick four he's a great option.

Sure we could throw some players their way too and hope to get picks back but honestly if we trade our first round picks for proven players with longevity in them then it's worthwhile.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2016, 11:09:38 PM »
Should be after Tomlinson....opinion seems fairly divided on him but I reckon he has the tools to be as good as Kennedy from the Swans in a few years, except he can genuinely play all three lines whereas Kennedy only plays mid & occasionally forward....
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2016, 11:14:26 PM »
Here's the full article:

Tigers look set to land Prestia

Emma Quayle
The Age
August 3, 2016

Richmond has firmed as the likely new home for Gold Coast midfielder Dion Prestia.

The Tigers appear poised to land the former top 10 draft pick, 12 months after missing out on Adam Treloar.

Prestia has been linked to Richmond for several months, but it is believed he has now unofficially committed to joining the club.

Gold Coast have not been informed of Prestia's plans beyond this year, but also suspect he is Punt Road-bound.

The Suns are holding onto some hope they will still be able to sign both him and fellow onballer Jaeger O'Meara to new contracts.

Gold Coast already hold Richmond's second-round pick in this year's draft, after it was worked into a three-club trade involving Port Adelaide and Charlie Dixon at the end of last season.

That trade helped the Tigers land Chris Yarran, who has not been sighted at senior level this year.

The Suns will likely push for the Tigers' first round selection as compensation for their vice captain, who will not play again this season because of a knee injury.

Prestia would add immediate pace, class and ball-winning ability to the Richmond midfield and be a significant signing for the club in what has become a difficult year.

The Tigers were right in the race for ex-Giant Treloar last year but missed out when he chose to play for Collingwood instead.

Prestia's season was ruled over after he underwent knee surgery four weeks ago.

The 23-year-old, who missed the second half of 2015 with a meniscus injury, was operated on after round 16.

His injury has forced the Suns to play on without their six standout midfielders: Gary Ablett, David Swallow, Jaeger O'Meara, Michael Rischitelli, Aaron Hall and Prestia.

Prestia has been one of Gold Coast's most consistent players since he was selected at pick 9 in the 2010 draft, finishing in the top three of their best and fairest in 2013 and 2014.

Richmond is one of a handful of clubs to have pursued the Suns' vice-captain to some degree, with Melbourne, Hawthorn and Carlton at times linked to the 95-game player.

O'Meara's return from a serious knee injury was held up again last week, after he pulled up sore in a reserves game.

The former Rising Star winner has not played a senior match since the end of 2014, and the Suns are believed unlikely to risk him again this year.

He had been building towards a return to the senior side when he developed soreness before half-time in the NEAFL game.

O'Meara played his first half of football in 15 months in round 14 and had hoped to increase his game time with a view to playing some senior football late in the season.

The seriousness of his injury and his struggle to return has made it difficult for the numerous rival clubs interested in him to determine how big a contract they can responsibly afford to offer him.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/richmond-tigers-look-set-to-land-gold-coast-midfielder-dion-prestia-20160802-gqjewz.html

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2016, 12:56:00 AM »
Will be the biggest mistake they ever make. Has already done his knee previously & is a small mid around 175cm. Not sure on his weight but he be bordering approx 80kg.
RFC needs a taller mid 180cm at least & 87kg bulk to protect & destroy. We need a mid who can protect the Miles, Cotchin type. l tired of watching these small soft players

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2016, 05:34:46 AM »
Stop talking crap. Kid is a gun and also never done his knee.

We need class and he has that.

Welcome Dion :clapping

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2016, 06:27:59 AM »
While I prefer not giving up draft picks with the current recruiting department as it is there is no guarantee that they will get the selection right with a draft pick and even if they do we have chronic problems with developing players so any player we draft presently basically has to be a ready made player.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2016, 07:00:50 AM »
I give him until June before he joins the illustrious group of average small players we have in the team.

Either that or tigeritis will hit him hard.

Will be a bad mistake to use pick 6 on him but then again it might be better than what old man hackson can find us
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2016, 07:28:34 AM »
I reckon he's a good mid but not great. Wouldn't part with a pick under 14-15.
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2016, 09:20:16 AM »
Will be great but not getting carried away until he has signed.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2016, 10:22:53 AM »
has he got mental issues??

What due diligence has been done?

If he is coming to us he must be an idiot.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2016, 10:23:56 AM »
Is he fantastic?

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2016, 10:41:21 AM »
As a club we seem to become fixated on a player linked to us, chase him, get him or nearly get him, high five ourselves for job well done and then pick up a useless delisted free agent in junk time.