Author Topic: Board Spill? / Challenge called off/ Malvern Hotel group has re-emerged [update]  (Read 120198 times)

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
Re: Board Spill? / Rebel group now wants to pay out and sack Hardwick [update]
« Reply #315 on: September 20, 2016, 10:23:41 PM »
Is FOF the same group that met in Malvern that Jackstar and others told us would be shaking up the board? Or are we still going to hear from this group at some point?
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #316 on: September 20, 2016, 10:27:09 PM »
Speed should be President....surely would be a walk in the park after running the ICC and having to deal with the BCCI....

He was a toothless Tiger when he was running the ICC (no pun intended ) because he wouldn't stand up to the BCCI  :rollin

His successors have been far worse -  BCCI's power's grown ten fold since he left....like I said, the Richmond board & the AFL should be a walk in the park compared to them....
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Tigers face down challengers (Age)
« Reply #317 on: September 21, 2016, 12:27:00 AM »
The Richmond board met for more than seven hours after the meeting with the rebel ticket but it is understood only a brief time was spent dwelling on the offer and the proposals outlined by the Focus on Footy  ticket.

I thought the board wasn't meeting today only tonight?

Offline Raoul Duke

• Premiership Captain
  • Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
« Reply #318 on: September 21, 2016, 12:28:12 AM »
2 of them Chadwick &  O'Shanessy were elected via an election last year by the members
O'Neal, Dalton and Free have been "elected" unopposed = no vote only because there were no extra candidates to have an election
Speed, O'Rourke, Dunne & Ryan have all been seconded onto the board and not elected. Ryan is up for re-election this year, so is Speed IIRC
Thanks,knew of Chadwick &  O'Shanessy but was unsure of the pathway the others got there.
Don't know of their worth as board members but I'll say openly, O'Neal has to go.
The possibility of physical and mental collapse is now very real. No sympathy for the Devil, keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #319 on: September 21, 2016, 12:31:48 AM »
Lmao

What a stuffed up footy club
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 01:53:36 AM by one-eyed »
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
RFC Board set to reject Focus on Footy request for spill, could trigger EGM (HS)
« Reply #320 on: September 21, 2016, 01:56:16 AM »
Richmond board set to reject Focus on Footy request for spill, could trigger EGM

Michael Warner,
Herald Sun
September 21, 2016

RICHMOND members appear headed to the polls in early November after the Tigers board rejected a rebel takeover push.

Tigers president Peggy O’Neal and chief executive Brendon Gale faced off with “Focus on Football” coup leaders Martin Hiscock and Mag Kearney for about an hour at the Bourke St headquarters of law firm Lander & Rogers.

Hiscock and Kearney formally submitted that the majority of the nine-person Richmond board resign.

The board met later and O’Neal said the demand from the rebel group had been rejected outright.

The rebels indicated they would respond by triggering an extraordinary general meeting in the second week of November by gathering the signatures of just 100 members.

The move would effectively give both parties 35 days to campaign for votes from the club’s 70,000-plus members.

Hiscock indicated O’Neal was one of two current board members his group would keep on if they gained power.

The would-be president also affirmed his belief that the team had “no game plan” and that Trent Cotchin was the wrong man to be captain.

Today we offered an olive branch, not a concession, in the best interests of long-suffering Richmond members and fans.

Tuesday’s Herald Sun revealed Hiscock’s group had vowed to personally pay out coach Damien Hardwick’s $1 million contract should they decide he needed to be sacked.

“Damien’s already said: ‘I’m a dead man walking’. People have told me that,” Hiscock told SEN.

“We don’t think so. We would like to build that support around him and see how he goes. We’ve said that from the word go, that he’ll be there next year.

“But he will have performance criteria, and if he doesn’t meet those criteria at a certain stage during the year, the football department directors and (football chief) Neil Balme will make a decision on whether he goes or not.

“Everyone will agree that Richmond has had very little game plan. No, it’s not insane (to say that). It’s not insane at all. It’s quite clear that there is no game plan.

“Whether it’s his fault, or the players fault or the assistant coaches ... don’t forget five have been sacked.”

Of Tuesday’s meeting with Gale and O’Neal, Hiscock said: “At what was a positive meeting, we reiterated our view that it was time for new and re-energised thinking at Richmond.”

O’Neal said members were entitled to run for the board.

“We encourage any of our 70,000 members wishing to do so to engage in our nominations process or through our normal electoral process as part of the annual general meeting,” she said.

“The time leading up to the AFL draft is really important for all clubs and our priority right now is running this club, and providing a stable environment that allows our CEO Brendon Gale and our new general manager of football Neil Balme to build a stronger Richmond on and off the field.

“The Board and our administration – under the guidance of Brendon - is getting on with the really important business of attracting players, coaches and commercial partners to our Club, and planning for 2017.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/richmond-board-set-to-reject-focus-on-footy-request-for-spill-could-trigger-egm/news-story/bbeb8b03e41b4de74ca8c04d13352aac

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #321 on: September 21, 2016, 06:49:43 AM »
Lmao

What a stuffed up footy club

:thumbsup

Which makes me laugh when some are just focusing on these clowns.

Facts are the whole joint is completely stuffed led suburban by the top and her sidekick
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 10:54:38 AM by WilliamPowell »
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #322 on: September 21, 2016, 09:18:09 AM »
Richmond board challengers oblivious to change

The Australian12:00AM
September 21, 2016
Melbourne
PATRICK SMITH

Observers say that when Neil Balme arrived in the Melbourne radio studio for his weekly spot last Friday he had the spring of a high jumper in his step. If he was not quite a new man he did have a new job.

Balme began as the boss of Richmond’s football department on Monday after successfully performing in that role at Geelong and Collingwood. The switch was prompted by Collingwood reshuffling their football operations at the same time as the Tigers were transforming theirs. The Richmond board pounced.

The trip back to his old club where he was a critical member of two premiership teams might have been long and it might have meandered but there was a meaningful sense that Balme had come home. A 36-year return trip.

His mood might have cooled a little now, the bounce in the step not so extravagant. While what happens at board level is not Balme’s concern, experience tells us that board challengers can quickly destabilise if not disable clubs from their top to their bottom.

So news yesterday that a group of supporters, who call themselves Focus On Footy, plan to continue with their plans to overthrow the board is an unwanted and unnecessary disturbance.

It must be irritating to supporters, who have hailed Balme’s appointment and watched as the football department was restructured after a detailed and independent review of all things footy within the club.

Given the record of the present board to pay off debt, move the club into profit and rebuild facilities while climbing into the finals for three consecutive years, the Focus On Footy plotting is without substance.

The group was represented by Mag Kearney and Martin Hiscock at a meeting yesterday with Richmond president Peggy O’Neal and chief executive Brendon Gale.

Afterwards Hiscock released a statement. “At what was a positive meeting, we reiterated our view that it was time for new and re-energised thinking at Richmond,” Hiscock said. “They (the board) are going to think about what we said and see whether there is a way to address our concerns…”

The Focus On Footy group maintains it has the mandatory 100 signatures to force an extraordinary general meeting if the board does not stand down. However, it is believed its early ambitious claim for seven board seats has been reduced by nearly half and they are now not seeking O’Neal to stand down.

“We have to do something. We don’t want to wake up in 15 years time and say we should have done something before it became half a century since our last premiership (1980),” Hiscock said. He appears oblivious to all that has happened at the club since the end of the season.

In a confused and messy interview on SEN earlier in the day, Hiscock said coach Damien Hardwick, contracted until the end of 2018, would be replaced if he did not satisfy new criteria

“If he doesn’t meet those criteria at a certain stage during the year the football department, directors and Neil Balme will make a decision as to whether he goes or not,” Hiscock said.

“We’d like to build that support around him and see how he goes … I’ve said that from the word go that he’ll be there next year.” He also made this extraordinary claim: “Damien’s already said, ‘I’m a dead man walking’. People have told me that.”

It is expected that the board will dismiss the group’s demands abruptly. And it would be reckless for O’Neal and her directors to take any other action than exactly that. Focus On Footy has no experience running a club in the increasingly competitive AFL environment. The group’s messages are mixed and volatile. To expect Hardwick to coach and his players to remain focused when Hiscock’s team has pronounced he is no certainty to see out much of the season is at best naive and at worst quite mad.

It would be helpful if the plotters had a look at the four clubs left in the race to the premiership. All have strong and stable boards who have a clear, unequivocal vision of how to deliver success.

GWS have maximised the largesse of the AFL expertly so that in their fifth year on the planet as a senior club they are one game away from a grand final.

Sydney have missed the finals just once since 2003. Geelong have been in all but two finals series since 2004.

And the Western Bulldogs stopped Hawthorn from moving closer to a modern milestone of four consecutive premierships when they thrashed Alastair Clarkson’s champions last Friday night.

(This last bit might be news to readers of yesterday’s column where it stated that it was GWS who had thwarted Hawthorn. Distracted mind, appalling error. Humble apologies).

This is a critical and sensitive time of year for every club. But especially for Richmond who, under Balme, must configure a new path ahead for the football department.

That means luring new players and assistant coaches to the club. But they will take short steps if they see a board at war with dills.

Gale must look after a business, cement in sponsors and negotiate all manner of things with the AFL. The club certainly does not need to be fearing interference from a group of supporters who might be intoxicated by their own egos.

If they loved the club they would disappear. Walk away now. But not before apologising to the board, members and supporters.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/subscribe/news/1/index.html?sourceCode=TAWEB_WRE170_a&mode=premium&dest=http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/opinion/patrick-smith/richmond-board-challengers-oblivious-to-change/news-story/59350783fa0cdee525b187dec5d75658&memtype=anonymous
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 11:15:56 AM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #323 on: September 21, 2016, 09:25:07 AM »
Hasn't been widely reported but Jake Niall said on "On the Couch" on Monday night (watched a replay yesterday afternoon) that about a week and half ago a meeting between the entire board and the entire FoF group (I thinl the missing lady from the launch was going  ;D) had been arranged.

About 40 minutes before it was due to start the FoF Group cancelled...

::)

They are a rabble that makes the incumbents look like the greatest Footy Directors in the histroy of the AFL  :rollin

And BTW, personally think Patrick Smith nailed it.....but I'm sure peole will just say he's a flog too  :snidegrin

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #324 on: September 21, 2016, 09:34:16 AM »
Richmond board challengers oblivious to change

The Australian12:00AM
September 21, 2016
Melbourne
PATRICK SMITH

It would be helpful if the plotters had a look at the four clubs left in the race to the premiership. All have strong and stable boards who have a clear, unequivocal vision of how to deliver success.

GWS have maximised the largesse of the AFL expertly so that in their fifth year on the planet as a senior club they are one game away from a grand final.

Sydney have missed the finals just once since 2003. Geelong have been in all but two finals series since 2004.

And the Western Bulldogs stopped Hawthorn from moving closer to a modern milestone of four consecutive premierships when they thrashed Alastair Clarkson’s champions last Friday night.

Aah Patrick, showcasing your lack of intellect on football matters for all to see, yet again.

Fancy comparing us to a strong board like the bulldogs led by a real strong leader in Gordon who were labelled as unstable and in chaos a couple of years ago when they sacked their coach and traded their captain.  Also sacked their underperforming ceo. 

Also the GWS board must be working miracles to get them in this position.

Suggest Patrick best utilise his penmanship in ghost writing biographies or writing fiction novels. 
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #325 on: September 21, 2016, 11:06:57 AM »
In a confused and messy interview on SEN earlier in the day, Hiscock said coach Damien Hardwick, contracted until the end of 2018, would be replaced if he did not satisfy new criteria

“If he doesn’t meet those criteria at a certain stage during the year the football department, directors and Neil Balme will make a decision as to whether he goes or not,” Hiscock said.

“We’d like to build that support around him and see how he goes … I’ve said that from the word go that he’ll be there next year.” He also made this extraordinary claim: “Damien’s already said, ‘I’m a dead man walking’. People have told me that.”

And people wonder why Leach gave him a hard time in the interview yesterday, he made that comment I've underlined when pressed on it the good Doctor changed the subject

And will anyone from FoF explain why they went from wanting (demanding) 7 seats (as per the good Doctor's shambolic interview on SEN yesterday morning) to the 4 or 5 seats request when they met with O'Neal & Gale yesterday morning some 90 minutes later?

Is it because their ticket of 7 is supposedly now 6 (Monteath reportedly wanting out)? or is it because they know they are facing a near impossible task of winning any election, because of outside of them coming across as being a bumbling bunch of fools they actually don't have a plan or any vision?

And I wonder if they got their way and got their 5 seats which one of the six would miss out under Doc Hiscock and Mag (I'm finally a member so I can be on the board) Kearney's deal? actually I reckon I already know  :lol

Online pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #326 on: September 21, 2016, 11:21:39 AM »
If Brendan Gale and Neil Balme came out and threatened to resign if focus on footy continued on with this coup then it would be all over for them.

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #327 on: September 21, 2016, 11:38:09 AM »
If only Gale would resign.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 02:01:26 PM by Harry »
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #328 on: September 21, 2016, 11:40:30 AM »
Focus on Footy

I hear it took them 8 meetings and 7 revotes to agree on their name :lol :lol

Offline Raoul Duke

• Premiership Captain
  • Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
« Reply #329 on: September 21, 2016, 12:05:22 PM »
What I don't get is why would any challenging group put all their cards on the table when challenging the current board
who haven't put all their cards on the table.

Seriously what have the challengers said that has been off the mark?
Are they incorrect on there opinion of our coach and his game plan?
Are they incorrect on there opinion of our recruitment?

ATM we have a board that gets a professional auditor in to review the  football department but gives the boot to most of the assistants
before the review is even completed.
Its the same board that extended Hardwick for another 2 years based on what exactly?

The current board is a sham, a group educated in the art of truth bending and disaccreditation.

The possibility of physical and mental collapse is now very real. No sympathy for the Devil, keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride.