Author Topic: Toby Nankervis [merged]  (Read 186848 times)

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
Re: Toby Nankervis [merged]
« Reply #945 on: May 29, 2023, 12:53:27 PM »
He tried hard in the contest but still making dumb errors and not clunking marks.

Hasn't been great for a couple of years IMO.

Agree.  His contested stuff has never been questioned but what he has failed in the last couple of years is that he hardly takes marks down the line from a kick out or in the last line of defence or as a switching option or even the 1 strong contested marks up forward. Critical in todays game unfortunately has been a non factor in this crucial attribute for a few years now.

And he also has inexplicably turned it over at stoppages sometimes without any pressure on him.
It’s painful to watch
The club that keeps giving.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #946 on: June 07, 2023, 03:58:28 PM »
THE ROUND 12 PERFORMANCES THAT FLEW UNDER THE RADAR ACCORDING TO CHAMPION DATA

SEN
7 June 2023

Champion Data’s Daniel Hoyne joined SEN’s Sportsday to discuss the five performances from Round 12 which may have been overlooked in the coaches’ votes.

Hoyne used Champion Data’s rating system, which values impact above volume and punishes mistakes, to find under-the-radar performances from players.

Toby Nankervis (Richmond)

"Toby Nankervis was actually the highest-rated player on the ground on the weekend.

“I just wanted to just give Toby a bit of a shout out, he didn't get a vote from the coaches, but that was the best defensive game we've seen by a ruckman in two years.

“His pressure this year on the opposition, he's the 14th-best pressure player in the competition.

“Just to put that into context, you usually saying midfielders or the half forward flankers rate high up for pressure.

“For him to be the 14th-best pressure player in the comp is fantastic.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/06/07/the-round-12-performances-that-flew-under-the-radar-according-to-champion/

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #947 on: June 07, 2023, 08:40:24 PM »
Maybe he needs glasses. He is dropping a lot of marks that he would normally take. In saying that i dont think many ruckmen are taking more than the odd  contested mark a game unless your name is Max Gawn.

I dont think nankervis  has ever been a big contested mark player either but he is no longer taking marks he should swallow.

As for free kicks imo he is definately harshly done by the umps. Surprisingly he has given away just 14 frees this year and 6 of those was against Lycett who gave away just as many but never got pinged imo.

I still think people undervalue what he brings to the table once the ball hits the ground. He is a tackling machine and imo he get pinged simply because of his size. He is laying nearly 7 tackles a game thats elite for an inside mid yet alone a ruckman.
He is winning 4 clearances a game most of our mids would be over the moon with that.
His contested ball winning is close to 10 a game that is also elite for a mid yet alone a ruckman.to top it off yes he may not be directing ball to our mids well but he is going at over 30 hit outs a game which shows he is very competetive at the ruck contest.
lets be honest here he is just 199cm and at centre bounces in particular he can only hope to break even against the long bean poles he has to ruck against but he sure comes into his own at stoppages and throw ins.

What he brings when it hits the ground makes up for the other short comings imo.
Truth is Ryan compliments him one a beast one a genuine tall tap beanpole.
Definately needs to start taking more marks even as a simple outlet up the line but imo not much else is too wrong.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #948 on: June 07, 2023, 09:47:08 PM »
Lol, half glass full, not many people just see the negatives when there are positives slapping us in the face but we are all entitled to our opinions and mine is that I think it’s great that our Captain is trying his guts out  and getting the best out of his ability.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #949 on: June 10, 2023, 11:59:27 PM »
Nank had 49 hitouts, 8 tackles and 4 clearances himself plus that captain's goal from the forward stoppage :clapping.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #950 on: June 11, 2023, 12:01:22 AM »
I've been very critical of Nank for a while. Happy to eat words when players put in that sort of performance. Well done Big Nank, was brilliant, dominated ruck, 2nd efforts and clunking marks when he needed too. Would love this every week from big skip.
Go Tigers!

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #951 on: June 11, 2023, 12:26:01 AM »
Huge tonight. Started clunking some defensive marks again too which had gone missing and makes him a so much better player.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #952 on: June 11, 2023, 12:35:28 AM »
I've been very critical of Nank for a while. Happy to eat words when players put in that sort of performance. Well done Big Nank, was brilliant, dominated ruck, 2nd efforts and clunking marks when he needed too. Would love this every week from big skip.

Me too

His jump, tap and mark have all improved

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #953 on: June 11, 2023, 04:13:43 AM »

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #954 on: June 29, 2023, 08:32:44 PM »
Terrible.

Shouldn’t be captain either.

Playing rubbish. 
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #955 on: June 29, 2023, 08:37:10 PM »
How is a bloke more predictable to the oppo mids than ours? Do we even train this shyte? :banghead
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #956 on: June 29, 2023, 08:42:28 PM »
He’s been smashed but it’s not all on him. If the lions mids can shark his taps then there’s no reason our mids shouldn’t be able to shark some off the bigO too.

Offline crackertiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #957 on: June 29, 2023, 08:43:45 PM »
Has to be one of the worst hit out to advantage Ruckman in History. He is bash and cras chaos Ruckman. But bash and crash does not work against top quality Midfielders. The need to play Miller as first Ruck. Send Nank forward.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #958 on: June 29, 2023, 10:10:11 PM »
Should retire bwefore Jack & Cotch. :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #959 on: July 06, 2023, 10:13:32 PM »
Looked like the Nank of old in the second half tonight. Think he knew he will be getting a few weeks rest after that bump on Lloyd.
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!