Author Topic: Jack Graham that is [merged]  (Read 164932 times)

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Jack Graham that is [merged]
« Reply #855 on: November 20, 2022, 12:04:49 PM »
Wow
Didn’t realise being called a solid B grader was an insult

Seriously , you realise they aren’t all A graders don’t you ??

As for the Hopper v Graham comparisons .. there’s a reason the club went so hard after Hopper .. he’s a better player , end of story

And as for my opinion of Graham, I can’t see how me saying he falls in the 24-28 bracket is some massive insult on the guy , I rate him as a good tough honest footballer .. he was CLEARLY available during trade period , that can’t be denied … did we necessarily want to offload? I’m not saying that , but he was available .. clubs obviously didn’t come hard for him like they would have if he was better than a B grader

If Graham was an A grader then there would have been more interest

I agree with this entire post with the exception of his rating as a 24-28 player. That kinda implies the starting 22 are all A graders which they are not.
I think he can play as role but the reality is that it will be as a back up mid who still has the potential to step up another level. If we chose the have a run with mid, he would be perfect.

not sure how you think him not being best 22 implies the starting 22 are all A graders.

We dont have a lot of A graders what we have is players who perform a role well within the team.

For me its simple who is he a better mid than.
Who is he a better fwd than
Who is he a better defender than.

When we answer those questions honestly then yes he is outside our best 22.

Reckon just about everyone would agree he is a mid or he can be played fwd.

Atm every day of the week Martin, Cotchin, Prestia, Bolton, Hopper, Taranto and Sonsie are better options or in Sonsies case a more likely option. You then imo have Baker, Short, Ross and Graham as other midfield options.

He is in just as big a fight for a fwd line spot with  Cumberland, M Rioli established forwards and Bolton, Martin and Taranto rotating thru there.

His trouble is while he is a very solid player he is behind  players who currently perform his role better.
You know i know we all know There are not 22 roles and spots for him there are limited roles and spots that he can perform.

While i think we have a very good midfield group im still concerned with the actual overall numbers. We currently cannot mirror what we do in the seniors with seconds players. I think we are light on for three mids and a still need two or three tall  fwds as priorities.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #856 on: November 20, 2022, 12:17:54 PM »
I see him as a gut running forward flank, similar to the role ( yes role player) that Lambert played, he has a big engine and  has enough speed  when on the move. He will defiantly have to fight for a spot and who knows with improvement , injuries and form he may be a first 22 player

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #857 on: November 20, 2022, 01:45:36 PM »
Wow
Didn’t realise being called a solid B grader was an insult

Seriously , you realise they aren’t all A graders don’t you ??

As for the Hopper v Graham comparisons .. there’s a reason the club went so hard after Hopper .. he’s a better player , end of story

And as for my opinion of Graham, I can’t see how me saying he falls in the 24-28 bracket is some massive insult on the guy , I rate him as a good tough honest footballer .. he was CLEARLY available during trade period , that can’t be denied … did we necessarily want to offload? I’m not saying that , but he was available .. clubs obviously didn’t come hard for him like they would have if he was better than a B grader

If Graham was an A grader then there would have been more interest

I agree with this entire post with the exception of his rating as a 24-28 player. That kinda implies the starting 22 are all A graders which they are not.
I think he can play as role but the reality is that it will be as a back up mid who still has the potential to step up another level. If we chose the have a run with mid, he would be perfect.

Nah lots of B graders ahead of him purely due to positional needs.

If they increase bench to 5 I think he's best 23 or close enough.

Don't see us playing Soldo if Nank is fit and we have Balta + Miller in the side to relieve the ruck. Of course that's provided all of Gibcus, Tarrant, Grimes, Broad, Balta are playing in the backline.

I think Miller should be forward/ruck relief and Balta back/ruck relief.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #858 on: February 20, 2023, 02:41:21 PM »
How Dimma's 'dad' joke broke ice after Graham's Power trip

Damien Hardwick and Jack Graham quickly broke the ice after the Tiger met with Port Adelaide last year

By Riley Beveridge
afl.com.au
20 February 2023

LUCKILY for Damien Hardwick and Jack Graham, they had a decent icebreaker.

Graham endured a whirlwind 48 hours last October, when the dual Richmond premiership player was spotted arriving in South Australia and touring Port Adelaide's facilities as interest grew in his future during the Trade Period.

Still contracted at Punt Road, essentially for the next two seasons thanks to an easily reachable clause in the deal he signed back in 2020, Graham's visit to Alberton came amid a period when the Tigers were closing on moves for midfield pair Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper from Greater Western Sydney.

Graham's meeting with senior Port Adelaide officials came on the Wednesday afternoon. But by the Friday night, as revealed by AFL.com.au, Graham had informed the Power that he wished to stay in the yellow and black and wouldn't be seeking a trade.

Such a high-profile situation, coming within a time of year when the spotlight is brighter than ever and nerves are frayed across the entire football industry, could have otherwise led to some awkwardness upon his return. In this case, though, the opposite was true.

"We did have a really good laugh actually," Hardwick told AFL.com.au.

"Jack said at the airport that he was going to visit his parents and then he got caught at Port Adelaide. I said, 'I didn't know Ken was your dad!' We did have a laugh. He's a stellar guy and we're glad he stayed, because he's such an important player to us."

Graham's interest in pursuing the potential of a move to Port Adelaide, despite being contracted through to 2024, was indicative of the modern market where more players are hitting the trade table than ever before.

Richmond itself claimed Hopper last October, despite the midfielder still having one season to run on his contract with Greater Western Sydney.

According to Hardwick, clubs and players are becoming more understanding of that type of situation.

"I love Jack and our footy club loves Jack. But if Jack wants to have an opportunity to look somewhere else, we understand that. That's the nature of the game. We will never hold that against our players," the Tigers coach said.

"If our players feel they've got a better opportunity to play at another club, or in a position that they want to play, then we won't stand in their way. Certainly, there has to be adequate compensation coming back the other way. Jack is a very, very good player. But we were up front and honest. We had the conversation."

The addition of Taranto and Hopper will enable Richmond to become more flexible with how it divides its midfield minutes in season 2023, with Graham one of a number of players facing the prospect of less time in the engine room.

But the Tigers don't anticipate Graham's onball numbers being squeezed significantly due to their busy Trade Period, with Hardwick of the belief that the 24-year-old will remain an integral part of the club's midfield future.

"(His role) won't change too much," Hardwick said.

"He's really good value going through the midfield, but he's also good value across half-forward as well. He's a really important transitional piece for us that we feel can help us in a number of areas of our game, both offensively and defensively. His role won't change drastically. But he certainly will add to our talent pool as well."

Taranto and Hopper's arrival will mean a new role for former captain Trent Cotchin this season, though. Having signed a one-year deal late last year to extend his time at Punt Road into a 16th season, the 32-year-old has been training as a forward this summer.

Cotchin is likely to still enjoy short spurts through the midfield, but Richmond believes he will add another exciting element to an attack that already features key-position threats like Tom Lynch and Jack Riewoldt, as well as dynamic options such as Dustin Martin and Shai Bolton.

"Trent's playing forward. But he came back from injury in the back-end of last year, probably for the last six or seven weeks, and he played a similar role. It's not going to be too dissimilar to what he's already done," Hardwick said.

"What we found was that he played an incredible brand of footy when he came back and played that role. You'll go and have a look at his numbers and they were quite impressive. From an impact point of view, we really enjoyed the aspect that he brought in that part of the game.

"We'll explore that a little bit more, then it obviously allows us to put more players through the middle of the ground. Jayden Short took a really big step forward, Jack Graham will come through the midfield, then we've got young developing Tyler Sonsie as well.

"We're really excited about it. What we have to do is continually evolve as a side and make sure we've got the right pieces in the right roles. That's our challenge as a coaching group moving forward."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/875465/how-dimma-s-dad-joke-broke-ice-after-graham-s-power-trip

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #859 on: March 16, 2023, 10:44:39 PM »
Didn’t think he was best 22 and certainly not so without any match sim during preseason, but thought he was one of our better players today. Other than his poor kicks inside 50 but he had plentyyyyy of company in that regard.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #860 on: March 16, 2023, 10:45:17 PM »
Our best tackler by a mile.

Deserves his spot.

Offline FooffooValve

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #861 on: March 16, 2023, 10:47:57 PM »
Close to BOG for us tonight.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #862 on: March 16, 2023, 10:54:17 PM »
Absolutely as slow as treacle and thats why he has to tackle so much always late to the contest.

Yes he sure had some good moments but really.

Lol at Ross being the sub as well when we have so many bigger mids now what was the reasoning.

Still too many below par players skill wise and we continue to play favorites in roles at the detriment of better players in those roles. Why?  for no other reason they are the coaches long term favorites.

How the hell did Short get a game and from what i can gather how has he avoided criticism again.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #863 on: March 16, 2023, 10:54:28 PM »
Disposal will hopefully improve with more match fitness but his tackling and intensity were great
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #864 on: March 16, 2023, 11:59:53 PM »
Looked gassed but fought and tackled well

Broadsword

« Reply #865 on: March 17, 2023, 12:05:12 AM »
Most time on ground of all mids from both teams. 88%. Runs all day. He has a serious tank.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #866 on: March 17, 2023, 12:06:12 AM »
Absolutely as slow as treacle and thats why he has to tackle so much always late to the contest.

Yes I thought his chase down of Saad highlighted how slow he is.

It was like treacle versus honey if we are being honest
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #867 on: March 17, 2023, 12:12:52 AM »

Yes I thought his chase down of Saad highlighted how slow he is.

It was like treacle versus honey if we are being honest

Rubbish
He is slow

The run down was the angle , not from making ground
At one stage McGovern ran past Graham like he was a statue

He’s got no burst pace , zero

Big heart though , I’ll give him that .. dude is a warrior

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #868 on: March 17, 2023, 12:23:04 AM »